Your opinion on Lakland Skyline 55-01 or 55-02?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BostonLowGroove, Feb 3, 2004.

1. BostonLowGroove

Apr 30, 2003
    I'm definitely buying a Lakland Skyline 55-01 or 55-02. There's no question. I love the versatility of the 55-02, but am not sure if I need it. What ever I end up buying, I'm sure I will end up buying the other one down the road. I play an Ampeg SVTIIIPro into a Eden 4x10XLT. I'm in a dark, female-fronted, hard-edged rock band. Mp3s for listen at Any help would be great.
  2. I liked the 02 pickups and electronics, myself, and I'd say go for it if you have the extra cash. It's definitely worth paying a little more if you're planning to keep it down the line. With an 02 you would no longer need an 01, unless you want a fretless or something. So I say 02.
  3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

If you do a "search" you will find comments from people who have discussed this before.

Nonetheless, I'd go with an 02..........not just because it's my "back-up bass" but the stock Bartolini electronics make it not only a very versatile bass, but also, a more desireable bass should you want to sell it or trade it in.

The B string on the 02 will give your rig all it can handle.
  4. Bigwan

Feb 22, 2002
    Ballymena (hey)
    I liked both, but would go with the 55-02 if you can afford it. To be honest i preferred the Skyline Joe Osbourne 5 though.
  5. It's the electronics that are in the '02 that made Lakland famous. USA Bartolini vs Korean (or wherever)
  6. natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    I bought a 55-01 used and it came with the bart mk1 pre and bart soapbar pickups. Are these the stock ones? If so are they different than the ones that come on the 02 (besides the design)?
  7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Yes. That is the stock electronics setup.

The 55-02 comes with USA Barts and preamp, the same setup that comes stock in the 55-94.

For what it's worth, I prefer the sound of the 55-01 to the Bart equipped 55-02. Now a 55-02 with the optional Duncan Basslines setup, that is a different story.
  8. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    I had a 55-01 and it was a great bass although I ended up selling it because I'm really not a 5-string player. I couldn't complain about the sound though. The 55-01 is a good solid bass for the money.

That said, the 55-02 is an even better bass. Although, I'd be tempted to go with Duncan pups instead of Barts in the 55-02. I really like the Duncan MM/J pup combination. Barts are warm and the Duncans are edgy.
  9. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    I'd say 55-02 for versatility's sake. Both are great.
  10. McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    All I can say is, I love my 5501... It came w/ the Fishman pre, tho. One of these days I'll get around to upgrading it, but at this point, I'm in no hurry.
  11. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    My last purchase was a Lakland 55-01 and I love it!
    My only 5 string up to then was a RB5. I found the 55-01 much easier to play than the RB5 and it also has a smaller neck. I alway's considered myself a 4 string bass payer until I got this! I think Lakland makes excellent basses and i'm considering the 55-02 bass as my next purchase.
  12. rickreyn

rickreyn Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    After playing a 55-94 for months, I couldn't personally settle with less, but the 55-02 is very close, sans the reinforced neck (which you can tell it doesn't have).
  13. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Nice to see you around, Rick. We've missed you!
  14. rickreyn

rickreyn Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    Overwelmed at work and three boys playing football did me in. Glad to be back!
  15. todd 4ta

todd 4ta

Apr 3, 2003
    You can get the 55-01 with the upgraded NTMB preamp, same as the one in the 55-02, 55-94. If you prefer two humbuckers to the MM/J setup, that would be a good alternative.

I had both a 55-01 with the upgraded preamp and a 55-02. I actually liked the 55-01 better, but if the 55-02 would have had the Basslines pre & pickups I think I would have liked it much better.

On a related note, I got one of the Cort/Elrick JP5 basses that comes with the same MK1 pickups and scaled down preamp as the 55-01. I installed a Demeter onboard 3-band preamp, and this bass absolutely smokes now. Out of all the basses that I've had, it comes closest to my MTD 435.
  16. McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    You're not the first person I've heard say that.
  17. Acepiloto

Aug 25, 2000
    I haven't had the chance to play the 55-02, but I do love my 55-01. I prefer it over my Stingray 5. Wider neck, 35" scale (much nicer B), versatile electronics.
  18. I borrowed a 55-01 to use in the studio, and I really didn't care for it. The 55-02 sounds way better to me.