your opinion on peavey amps?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by learning_towalk, Mar 31, 2004.

1. love

7 vote(s)
  2. they're ok

9 vote(s)
  3. HATE them

5 vote(s)
  4. no experience

1 vote(s)
  1. personally i hate pretty much anything with the word "peavey" on it...but a lot of people dig their amps...I was just wondering what you thought.
  2. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Why do you hate their products? Simply because it has Peavey on the label? :confused:

Here's a thread that may very weel answer all of you questions....
  3. Noththing I have ever played with the peavey name on it has impressed me. And now that I've had problems with a peavey PA I will certainly stay away from their products even more. I hope other people out there have had better luck than I have. Obviously some have as they are still in business! Ampeg, SWR, Fender, & Trace Elliott seem to work best for me. Thanks, Greg
  4. TampaBlues

Oct 28, 2002
    Tampa, Florida
    I own a Bam 210 and It is an incredible combo. As good as any combo out there IMHO, and much better than Most! I used to own a US made Millennium plus 5 string and it was an incredible Bass. I have no problems with Peavey as for quality and tone. I think their Pro series cabinets are overpriced. The rest of their gear seems on track as far as value/price goes. ;)
  5. I've personally never had any problems with Peavey stuff, I always use Peavey or JBL cabs when hiring PA equipment with Peavey PowerAmps and they're fantastic.
    I play a Peavey stack (2x10, 1x15) and it gives me a great sound with a lot of power for £650 total - for the UK, that's really good VFM.

All their modern stuff, especially the BAM and Pro series are tone-machines, very unlike the old 80s and 90s gear. I'm not in a hurry to use any other equipment at the moment, mainly due to cost, but also due to choice - Peavey have proven reliability and are good value for money, they aren't cheap alternatives to higher end amps (like Behringer), they're mid-ranged, well priced equipment.

Obviously the Pro series is in a different league, and is a bit over-priced, but I have yet to really drive a PVPro rig.
  6. I have used Peavey equipment for my entire playing career. My first amp was an 80s model TNT150 with a BW 15. It was built like a tank and functioned flawlessly despite the abuse I threw it's way (only had it about a year). My second amp was a 260 combo with a BW 15. I put this amp through sheer hell and it finally decided to die on me after 3 years of solid abuse (like purposely clipping the input at high volumes for distortion, out-doors in tripple digit weather with no PA support... repeatedly!). I sold it to a tech friend who had it back in service for less then $50.

I had an old Bassman 4x12 for a short while, using a Peavey Mark III head. I picked up an old (circa '78) Peavey 4x12 and added new speakers, re-wired it (2x12-2x12, 4 ohms each, stereo) and mated it with the Mark III and ran the thing at 2 ohms. It never gave me a lick of trouble but it wasn't loud enough so I picked up a Peavey Max Bass unit (CS800 amp, Max Pre, in a road case). I ran this set-up for 3 years of heavy gigging in a loud rock band under every condition you could imagine. Never had a single problem.

Flash forward to today... I upgraded all of my amplification last year. Can you guess who got my hard earned $$$??? That's right, Peavey. I bought a DPC 1400X and a Max Pre-Amp. I almost bought the Pro 2x10 and Pro 115 enclosures but happened to stumble upon Acme. The Pro series enclosures beat out every major manufacturer I had access to locally. It boiled down to them or the XLT line from Eden. AB'd next to eachother with my rig and bass the Pro series cabs sounded more "nuetral" then the Edens (which is what I like).

I have also had a number of their power amps, PA cabs, mixers, etc... NONE of them ever gave me any grief. We even had a CS 1000X slide out of it's rack, drop 5+ feet off a stage, crash to the ground and still function perfectly for a 4 hour gig. It didn't look too pretty and had to be beaten back into shape to fit back in the rack but it still worked! There are a number of their amps from the 70s and 80s still in service running PA systems all over the world. Reliability is synonymous with Peavey amplifiers. Period.

Moral of the story: Peavey is well worth the money!

:bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: