1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

your opinion on the bass the has the best bang for the buck in any price range?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by airrick, Mar 25, 2006.

1. airrick

airrick

Dec 4, 2005
    like the title states

2. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    Full disclosure, I'm a certified Fender technician working in a music store that carries Fender, Yamaha, and Ibanez products among others.
    Ibanez SR505MH. It's the all-mahogany model with Barts and an active 3 band EQ. Feels great, and I could conjure any tone out of it I tried to. The one I was monkeying with was at GC for $649 with case.

If I'd had the dough, I'd have bought it on the spot.

3. i think for 120 dollars, SX makes a good, solid Jazz or Precision bass

4. instigata

instigata

Feb 24, 2006
    New Jersey
    i agree. my regular sr400 (maple body, non-barts) is great itself. i played the mahogany version. 50 times better (and i consider MINE a bang for your buck contender)

so yea. bart pups/tronics, ibanez construction, and that great mahogany body.

its a win win win win win win win to infinity.

it may not LOOK super exotic, or vintage. but it sounds great.

5. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I'd have to go with the Lakland 55-01, with the SX basses second.

6. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    MTD imports and Lakland imports.

7. scottbass

scottbass Bass lines like a big, funky giant

Jul 13, 2004
    Southern MN
    Can't argue too much with an Ibanez GSR200 for $200. Excellent fit & finish, decent p-bass sound and that fine, thin, fast Ibanez neck. There are basses I like better (and own), but the Ibanez wins the quality per dollar calculation. IMO. You can't buy a bass that's twice as good for $400, or a bass that's three times as good for $600, etc.

8. Mabis2012

Mabis2012

Mar 25, 2006
    best: Sadowsky Metro
    worst: Fender USA (european prices)

9. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    For me "Bang for the buck" is best epitomized by three instruments, but remember I'm a J bass kind a guy.

The Fender Geddy Lee Jazz: used 500-600 new 699

The Lakland Daryl Jones Skyline: used 800+ new 1049 (4)

The Sadowsky Metro: used 1500 + new around 2000

10. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    My bass. Seriously, it actually has a bunch of cool features for $1000 CDN, including:

~ Five-piece neck-through
    ~ 'Real' EMG pickups
    ~ Ebony fretboard
    ~ EMG three band active EQ
    ~ Beautiful overall appearance, including a nice inlay, and stylish headstock design
    ~ String through body or bridge
    ~ Grover tuners
    ~ 24 XJ frets
    ~ Insanely easy upper-fret access
    ~ Can acheive very, very low action with little to no buzzing

Not bad for the price. And I get compliments on its looks, and most importantly its sound. In fact, I've been complimented on the sound of this bass with my band, the school's music theatre pit band, and my senior jazz band. So this bass pretty much does it all.

The only thing wrong with this bass is the lame-ass battery door, but with all the other cool features, I couldn't care less.

A well made bass by a highly underrated company. I wish people would stop judging basses by what's on the headstock.

Graeme

11. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2001
    Spencerport, New York
    +1

12. phishaholik

phishaholik Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2005
    Portland, Oregon
    I just got one of these the other day and strung it up with some TI jazz rounds I had sitting around for about five years. These are the perfect combo. The tone on this thing is amazing. Also, it is a very attractive bass. I paid $275 for it and it is easily as nice as anything around a grand. The binding, the wood, the finish is all flawless. The only problems I have found are some uneven frets. I can only imagine how nice it will sound with a darkstar.

Mike

13. SX for a beginner.
    (can't beat the price for what you get at all, you all know)
    G&L for anything else. The L2000 is so versatile that it does anything you want it to, is high quality and very well made, for the price, although there are a lot of choices that are of high quality, G&L's versatility can't be matched thus far. Even if you can't afford that high of a price (you may be intermediate/buying a backup bass/on a budget) you can go with the Tribute line and get many of the same features and looks for a lower price.

Also I think that conklin is supposed to be known for the best bang for the buck when getting into ERB's.

14. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    The older american made peavey basses are fantastic. Definitely worth a look.

15. EBMM, little pricey for some, but if you got the cash you cant go wrong. solid basses that play great. any model, bongo, stingray, sterling.

16. Oxblood

Oxblood Banned

Apr 17, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Of course, I think SX Basses are the best bang for the buck. You seriously can't go wrong with these things. They are sooooo cheap but you get the same quality, if not better, then a MIM Fender... which can be up to $300 more!

17. If I have to mention just one brand, it'd have to be Yamaha...

18. Fong249

Fong249

May 25, 2005
    Washington, DC
    ernie ball musicman stingray. get a real professional sounding tone, look, perfectly made, undeniably good tone.

19. ebe9

ebe9

Feb 26, 2006
    South Africa
    Cort Artisan A Series
    Cort Artisan B Series
    Warwick Corvette $$ (Got mine for US$1100)

20. Mongo Slade

Mongo Slade Supporting Member

Dec 1, 2005
    Northern New Jersey
    +1 on the Geddy Lee Jazz

Also, Godlyke basses, especially the set neck, pull off a superior Lakland vibe with a touch of Fodera at a fraction of the cost. Definitely a great value at their price point.

Peace