Your opinion on the best bass for me.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jiant., Jul 1, 2005.

1. jiant.

Jul 3, 2004
    Fort Mill, SC
    So here I find my self working 30-35 hours a week trying to save up as much as I can before heading off to college next year since I can't work during the school year.(No car, no on campus jobs) Then my bass starts to fall apart. It's a cheap one, so I've been waiting for this to happen. Now I'm trying to decide what the best bass for me to get would be. The three that I've been looking at the most are Fender American Percision, Fender American Jazz or Musicman Stingray. Right now I play in a melodic rock/ metal-ish band, but when I go to school I'll just be trying to play with whoever I can find, so I need a fairly versatile bass. A bassist I know really well who has had a lot of experience with different basses and knows my playing style very well told me that a jazz would probably be my best bet. I'm just wondering if I went for a jazz, would I notice a big tonal difference between the MIM and the MIA jazz basses. My other gear is an Eden WT-400 and an Ampeg SVT-410HLF, if that helps. Thanks and God Bless. -Brad
  2. I agree with your friend. Out of those 3, a Jazz probably has the most tonal possiblities. They are extremely versital basses. You'd be hard pressed to find a kind of music that a Jazz bass couldnt work in.

Not that the other 2 arent. A Pbass fits in well in almost any setting. A Stingray is versital, but not quite as much as the two Fenders.
  3. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    Hey jiant... how's the Eden treatin' you?

I second (or third) the vote on the Fender Jazz... they do a great job of covering a lot of ground musically. If money's tight, look into getting an SX Jazz bass... not quite as nice, but great for the money.
  4. Well, I got two of the three.

I say have a look around for a used MIJ Jazz, quality is excellent in many cases and the variety of tone would suit you well.

That said, I really don't have much difficulty dialling up all sorts of useful tones on my 'Ray. Took me a while to get the hang of the 3-band, but now I can find heaps of monster tones. ;)
  5. jiant.

Jul 3, 2004
    Fort Mill, SC
    It's treating me very well. Haven't had a gig to use it at, but it's been awesome at practice. As for money being tight, I'd rather go ahead and go the extra mile on a good bass right now then buy somthing else cheap and have to upgrade in a few more years. I'm going to a shop about 45 min. from my house Saturday to try out some basses since all the shops around my house either have really high prices and crappy staff members or really great prices and cool staff members but a small selection. Thanks for all the advice guys, and keep the opinions coming. God Bless. -Brad
  6. if you like the looks of the Fender Geddy Lee signature bass those are great. I'd recomend playing one first since some people don't like the skinnier neck. but that is the Fender Jazz I would buy out of everything they have available right now.