Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Your opinion on this!!!!

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by tucker, Mar 6, 2001.

1. tucker

tucker Guest

Jan 21, 2001
    North Carolina
    What is your opinion on a band, Crazy Town, stealing a bass line from the RED HOT CHILI PEPPERS? I think that is wrong and legally it is. They stole a bass line and guitar line from Pretty Little Ditty and put it in their song and made money off of it. The song is Butterfly that CrazyTown made up(well at least not musically). I heard they were being sued. Is this true? I think it is. What is your opinion?

2. Everything in modern music is "stolen " from somewhere. That's the way it is. The first rock n roll song to be stolen, was Elvis' That's All Right Mama, which he copied EXACTLY, arrangement and all, from Arthur "Big Boy" Cruddup. Elvis listed himself as co-writer, which he was'nt, and Cruddup was paid a pittance for the demo, with no further entitlement. Hiphop "artists" steal Miles Davis and James Brown riffs and loop them. George Harrison stole the melody of He's So Fine by the Chiffons, and put the words of My Sweet Lord to it. Jazz artists, like Coltrane, famously took tunes and put new melodies over them, e.g. Impressions over So What, Anthroplogy etc. There's also always going to be stealing, after all there's only 12 notes in western music, and it's those same 12 notes being used by Beethoven, the Beatles and Biz Limpdick.

3. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    They didn't steal anything, The Chili Peppers are credited on the album - which means I think they are credited in their bank accounts too.

4. ....and bass players who hear the song will presumably want to check out the original= more money in The Chillis' pockets (assuming they don't get it off Napster etc.)
    I got into Steely Dan after buying De La Soul's "3 Feet High + Rising" which samples them.
    also, the bass riff from Aerosmith's "Sweet Emotion" got sampled somewhere so I sought out the original.

5. to answer your question: I think it sucks donkey´s ass! (sorry, under a little wesley willis influence :) )

anyway, I think it sucks...

but since when has my opinion meant anything to anyone? :rolleyes: ;)

6. phogchris

phogchris www.scarsoflife.com

May 27, 2000
    Boca Raton, FL
    They did NOT steal the riff, the Chilis are getting paid for it(a lot!) and both bands have the same management company...see the connection there. It is all legit, my friends!

7. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I think they should stick to videos. I've only heard/seen "Butterfly" (or whatever it's called).

Being derivative doesn't bother me much if it's done well, (e.g., Robin Trower). Being more hung up on how many tatoos and piercings you have rather than what's happening/not happening musically does.

8. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    Maybe this is legit, but I HATE THAT SONG!!!!!(the new version..)

9. I'd rather listen to Mariah Carey's 'Butterfly' than to Crazytown. Now that I think of it she's a hottie! Better looks and better song...

10. Hary

Hary Guest

Sep 19, 2000
    Hungary, Veszprém
    Nowadays there is no stealing - I think. You can't really make new basslines. Most of them are already played.

11. Moonraker

Moonraker

Mar 7, 2001
    Why are so many of these hip hop rock groups emerging? , especially the ones that look like boybands with instruments. All instrument/songwriting bands of this genre are soon all going to be semi manufactured , so they can appeal to teeny boppers and real music fans of bands etc. There are 2 front men in this group like Linkin Park ,even though one should be enough. Theres too much image **** going on and 'borrowing' that Chillis bassline says it all. Speaking of the Chillis , Flea will be playing bass on the new Janes Addiction album.

12. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    that reminds me of the fact that it was said by many "musicologists" :rolleyes: that bach played all the music that could ever be played, by the early 1700's, everything else afterwards would be stealing.

or like when the patent office said, in 1900, that they didn't need to give any patents out anymore, because nothing new could be invented - everything that could be invented had been already.

13. just in responce to the comment made earlier about coltrane,, and his use of existing songs which he put melodies around!,,

he was an improvisationalist , he was a jazz musicians, and if anything worked songs round what he was doin rather than take a song a play over the top,, like a session player would,,for example,,

the majority of the time jazz artistsin the 50's and 60's ould change songs ever so slightly, thus, beating any copyright that the songs had,

a tune is a tune,, how can one person lay claim on a buch on notes... they can't,, it would never stand up in court,,, look at kirk-dysons ball barrow,, u americans :)

14. WHOA!! what new jane's addiction album?? are you serious? somebody tell me what's going on!!

15. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I dunno, that asian girl is pretty hot...but then there's the dudes...ugh...Mariah, or the Asian chick? (makes balancing motion with hands) Eh, I'll just go watch Christina Aguilera

16. Moonraker

Moonraker

Mar 7, 2001
    Yes it is true Dancehallclasher. Flea will be playing on the forthcoming album and probably touring with them , I heard it being discussed on the radio 2 weeks ago.

17. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    Wesley Willis wouldve told em to suck a hiney badger's cock.

18. OMG! I can't believe someone else listens to (or has at least heard of) Wesley Willis besides me. Ha!

19. as it says above... if they took the melodies, re-recorded them and claimed it was their own they would be stealing. they have sampled it...

while i don't think it's possible to better the original... i also think it a is a great compliment if someone covers, samples or uses your music to create music of their own.

JB's Funky Drummer is the most sampled record ever... and look at some of the great tracks that it's been sampled as the basis of

LLCoolJ's Mamma Said Knock You Out...

actually that's all i can think of, but u get the picture....!

20. BaroqueBass

BaroqueBass

Jul 8, 2000
    Salem, OR
    Everybody listens to Wesley Willis. He's quite the rage.

"I whooped batman's asssss"

*sigh*

Anyways, ALL popular Western music has already been composed by JS Bach already. Can't write half a measure without slapping your head and going "DOH, Bach already wrote this" We try to get away from Bach in the following ways:

1. Making it loud and distorted
    2. Changing the time and feel (groovy, funky, etc)
    3. Throwing in weirdo special effects
    4. Turning it into a video

Can't escape it. ^_^ If you want some new try Oriental or Middle Eastern music. Japanese Kotos are quite nifty.