Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Your opinion on Warwick strings...

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by PanteraFan, May 22, 2001.

1. I just saw these in the Warwick catalogue, and a local store has them for like £8, the red ones. I was just wondering what type of tone they have and what other brands of strings they are comparable to.

2. Copycat

Copycat Supporting Member

Nov 14, 2000
    Pittsburgh, PA, USA
    The black label strings are great, comparable, I think, to DR High Beams, maybe a bit less bright.

I haven't used the red labels, though, so I can't give you a read on those. I know that Warwick ships all of their basses with the black label strings on them, so they're the top of their line.

But I can't imagine that the drop-off in production techniques, materials, etc., would be that dramatic, or Warwick wouldn't be comfortable putting their name on them.

Good luck.

3. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    I've had the reds, a 5-string set.

Their tone is bright and detailed, albeit a bit cold and sterile, hollow if you will. I can't compare their tone to any other string... IME they had a "special" sound. I kind of liked them, but I thought they were missing some fullness and warmth.

The build quality on my set was not very good at all. The winding loosened on several strings on my set after two months (I'm used to changing strings about two times a year). P*ss-poor, if you ask me. But you get what you pay for, I guess.

4. So the strings actually do what they say on the tin? 'They compliment the sound of Warwick basses perfectly'(Warwick catalogue).

:D

5. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Um... yes, I actually thought so too, but I didn't have the guts to say it. :D

6. Hoo boy, I'm gonna get some bashing for this anti-Warwick blasphemy!

If I want to start a good war, I can ask for opinions on Spector strings vs. Warwick strings....:D

If Spector strings compliment Spector basses, then they sound full, rich, can match any style of playing, are well made, last long and look cool!

At least I'll always have a friend in Nino....;)