Your opinion on what hispanic is

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Frijoles Negros, Jun 14, 2004.

1. Frijoles Negros

Frijoles Negros

Mar 21, 2004
    In your opinion, is someone from Spain hispanic?
    Is someone who is half Mexican/Anglo, who was born and raised (read - probably doesnt write spanish too good, but spanish is spoken in the house) in the US hispanic?
  2. vbass

May 7, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    Hmm, no offense, but uh... what does it matter?
  3. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    How 'bout someone born in Hispania(i.e. Spain!)?
    ...that person would be an American. ;)
    Back in my ute, I would chide my mom that she was an EYE-talian. She was born here in the US of Italian parents...Italian was her 1st language. Nevertheless, she would ALWAYS reply that she was an American. That's my .02...
  4. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I consider myself hispanic.

I was born in Miami, FL from a Cuban father and an American born, Greek blood mother.

I also consider myself a mutt.
  5. As I understand, the official word for hispanic is a person whose descendency is from a central american spanish speaking country.
  6. McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    NO it doesn't, but to be accurate, here's what Merriam Webster has to say about the matter....

Main Entry: His·pan·ic
    Pronunciation: hi-'spa-nik
    Function: adjective
    Etymology: Latin hispanicus, from Hispania Iberian Peninsula, Spain
    : of, relating to, or being a person of Latin American descent living in the U.S.; especially : one of Cuban, Mexican, or Puerto Rican origin
  7. Hispanic = Mexican, puerto rican, guatamalen, spanish, cuban, all that type.

I'm 100% mexican, but I'm completely white. I think my ancestors must have migrated to Caucasia :meh:
  8. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    same here, it's pretty cool if you ask me :cool:
  9. Frijoles Negros

Frijoles Negros

Mar 21, 2004
    Interesting opinions - even the first two.
    Too much academics pollutes the soul, you know. I like to get feedback from non-anthropologists.
  10. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    The "techie" side of me says: No.

I'm thinking that the genesis of "hispanic" is similar to "Hispañloa". I don't know for sure though.

People from Spain are more European to me.

Speaking of mutts, I'm Polish, German, Welsh, and Seminole Indian....see, my nose is wet and cold....
  11. Baofu

Mar 8, 2003
  12. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I think the big thing that makes me count myself (and probably you judging by your user name) as hispanic, is that not only do I have hispanic blood, but hispanic culture.

13. Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    You're probably as much caucasian as you are hispanic, who's asking anyways?

I do find this subject interesting, especially the variations within the south american "hispanic". It's a combination of various south american native tribes and spanish immigrants. So completely "white hispanics" are out there (such as many Uruguayans), while many others are "unmixed", (such as some Peruvians I know).

This happened to most countries of course, I guess this Spanish/America thing is just more recent.
  14. elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi
    Your opinion on what hispanic is

Well, it depends on who is panicing.

(His Panic.... geddit? ... whatever.)
  15. Frijoles Negros

Frijoles Negros

Mar 21, 2004
    I'm with you. As much as I dislike the use of the term identity, it is clearly wrapped up in this issue.

Ive been thinking lately on phenotype/class and sanguine connections to Spain and how, while that archetype is often used here by hispanics, it seems to be of less importance here. While I presume that this is an example of acculturation by complying with the slightly different phenotypic classifications in the US. It holds different connections to hispanic identity for hispanic people.
    Or, in the joking words of my roommate from Buffalo, NY - Spain, Mexico - whats the difference? Meanwhile, Hispanics attach a different label to those half hispanic/anglo mixes or Spaniards.
  16. I've got a Hispanic last name, but I'm a chinaman!

"Hey Howard, there's your Chinaman."

"Thanks Fred."
  17. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I deleted my opinion because I found this post sublimely snobbish, but maybe I took it the wrong way? I think it would be like me asking for opinions on "the Clouds" by Aristophanes. Example: I was a Comp Lit major with a focus in classics, and I need the opinion of some ignorant boobs, even yours. Like I said though, maybe I've inferred something that was not implied.
  18. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Same with my wife. Some people think she looks a little French.
  19. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I think what he meant is that he's being forced to look at it one way because of what the textbooks say, and he wants an uncorupted person's opinion.

Hispanic in my eyes is more cultural than genetic, and its society, not science that defines cultures.