Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Your opinion, please?

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Bass Hit, Mar 3, 2006.

1. Hi - I'm new to the site! I own an early 1900's Juzek, and wanted your opinion on strings that offer the most "growl".
    Any help you can give would be appreciated.
    Thanks!

2. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.

Most growl WITH fundamental for me would be Obligatos. Most would say Spricores but they get a bit too buzzy in place of a real note at times. The Obligatos are more musical sounding.

Now, as for your Bass, if you want to post some pics, maybe we can get your Bass dated. Most Juzek labelled Basses were made by Anton or Wenzel Wilfer pre 1970s. I don't know if there is an elder Wilfer or if the first Basses before 1936 (the earliest I have seen dated by Wilfer) were supplied by Wilfer. The Juzek Label appears in 1000s of instruments made by many many makers. For the Basses, none were made by Juzek himself. Only a few Violins exhist by him and they are most likely still in eastern Europe.

3. I'm using Labella 7710s right now...not on a Juzek I'm sorry to say, but they are capable of GROWL to say the least. They also have a nice clear tone as well. Listen to Ron Carter play them on his Juzek. Pizz only tho. Their rep for arco is not so good.

gomez