your opinion please

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by C//LiMBa, Apr 21, 2002.

1. i'm looking for a new bass because mine is to big and to heavy, while surfing on the net i bumped in on a Toby PRO-4 (details here)
    i like the price of it but i certainly like the look! does anyone knows the sound of it? does anyone has this bass? is it good/bad? and so on...
    thanks in advance dudes!

btw here's a pic, nice look isn't it :)

ps: does someone knows witch bass the bassplayer of limp bizkit uses?(the one with the red leds in the fretboard) i think its a yamaha, but i dont know the name
  2. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Not bad basses, and not top of the line (even in the price range)

for 470, you can get ahold of an MTD Kingston 4 (Well, the K5's run 470, I can't recall what the 4 will run you). They are some of the best basses (if not the best) under 1000, new. The contruction and set up are first rate, overseen by Mike Tobias himself.
  3. I had a 5 string version of the same. Great for the price. Good solid wood and hardware but to me the preamp and pickups needed to be replaced. I installed an Aguliar pre and it really helped.
  4. I think the one with the LEDs is a Warwick, not sure what model. but LEDs are an option on Warwicks.
    check this out if you haven't already sims custom
  5. @ brendan:can you give me a link of that bass you're talking about, i can't really find it
    @ the rest: wich basses are good for a price less then $500 (i think it's almost the same as €500, i'm from europe you see) but they also need to have a nice look, not just standard stuff
  6. dreadhead

Feb 1, 2002
    It's a Streamer Stage II, Afzelia Wood, neck-thru.
    It usually features beautiful inlays.:rolleyes:
  7. Yep... streamer stage II wideneck in OFC black nirvana finish, with ultralyte tuners and ABM piezo bridges.
  8. dreadhead

Feb 1, 2002
    He probably have two of them. I've seen the usual orange one, in natural oil finish... it's great!
    According with the opinion of my luthier (who worked at Warwick), the Streamer Stage II is the best in the line. Best wood, best sound, best balance, best aesthetics (the inlays were handmade in the older models).
  9. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

It would help everybody if you filled in your profile then. I know that that Bass Centre in Wapping London (which is in Europe!) has quite a few MTD basses - Kingstons etc - which do indeed seem to be good value. I've tried the 5/6 string Toby Pros and don't really like them either.
  10. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    I agree with others are saying. Those Tobias basses aren't The "real" tobias basses. Gibson owns these i do believe. I have heard from many people that the electronics are very weak. I would say for the money go with a MTD kingston or hier bass... IMHO of course ;)
  11. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    The Toby is a much nicer looking instrument than the Kingston (IMO), I especially like the red Toby. Do you want a neck-thu? If so, I don't think you can beat the Toby for the money. As for it not being a "real" Tobias, it doesn't have the "real" Tobias price tag either. Surely everyone knows a $500 bass doesn't (and shouldn't) compare to one costing thousands. BP magazine gave it a good ITPR review.
  12. i'm from belgium

@ Idiezman: do you know the site of kingston?
  13. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member
  14. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i agree with that one whole heartedly ;)

but i thought rivers used SSI's, not 2's. (just checked bass player - his main bass is a SSI with basslines and red led's. he also has a red SSI5, 2 SSII 5's, and a FRETLESS SSII WITH GLOW IN THE DARK FRET LINES.)

i want that fretless.