1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Your opinion please

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by NoobOnRoad, Sep 20, 2008.

1. Cool.( Comment your opinion)

7 vote(s)
    26.9%
  2. To modify. (please submit your modification)

7 vote(s)
    26.9%
  3. Krappy.( Comment your opinion)

5 vote(s)
    19.2%
  4. WHAT THE HECK IS THAT. ( Comment your opinion)

7 vote(s)
    26.9%
  1. This would be my first build... i know i did a crappy modeling and the color will not be like this (it'll be natural) but i just want your opinion please.:help:

Edit: 45.5 inch length 36 inch scale

Re-edit: the model will more be like Thirstygums one (post #8)

Attached Files:

2. its different.

3. Phil Mailloux

Phil Mailloux

Mar 25, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    Builder: Mailloux Basses
    Seeing as how you mention that the drawing is crappy, it's hard to say what the final product would look like. You could be bad at drawing and very good at woodowrking for all we know.

From what I see it looks like it could be a nice instrument if the drawing was tweaked a bit. All I can offer for advice is my personal preferences, so here goes. I personally wouldn't make the horn so long and pointy. I also wouldn't make block inlays on my first bass. I'd consider that one an advanced technique, keep it for the second bass. Tweak the drawings (whether CAD or hand drawn) until you like the design enough to commit to wood, don't start before that. It's more likely that if the drawing is crap then the final instrument will also be and you'll regret it later on.

(un autre québécois qui fais des basses, yé! :D)

4. EclecticElectrk

EclecticElectrk

Aug 26, 2008
    Brooklyn
    like Phil said, the drawing kind of turns me off because it doesnt look too great. when the bass is built, it may very well look nice, but the drawing gives me a different idea.

5. Like you said, the drawing is crappy and I'll not do the block inlays and the horn is truly a little bit too long I'll modify this.

And I'll do a CAD too when I'll have the sheet. ( Québec power)

6. why not just draw it by hand until you get an idea for what you want? This process is a bit more natural and would allow us to see what you're really aiming for.

7. I draw this by hand before but it's on a ancient piece of door (like i would say 'Prendre les moyens du bord') with a pen so you must be like at 3 inch to see it.

And I don't have a camera.

8. i would be thinking along these lines personally- With apologies to Wilser and beav-
    mockmodified.

9. Ouch man, I'll try to do it like this, thanx thirstygums.

I'm checking your drawing and my jaws on the floor.

10. renniw

renniw

Nov 30, 2004
    Lévis (Québec)
    I think THIRSTYGUMS nailed the design....

Hurry NoobOnRoad before I steal the idea... :D

Bienvenue dans le monde Québécois des gosseux de bois....

11. Lol, renniw... I think that if you do it, you'll finish before me.... I'll start in the Xmas Holydays...

Sa va bien faire des longue vacance de cégep

12. renniw

renniw

Nov 30, 2004
    Lévis (Québec)
    While I look at it, the way it's designed it think that 36" is a long reach considering the forward position of the bridge...

I would make a full size drawing (or MDF template) to test.

And don't worry, I'm too old and conventionnal to steal this desing....

13. cool, and post the pic... Me I'll do a draw on some big sheet(du bon vieux carton)

14. can you get the lower horn to match the top one?

EDIT: with a P pickup and 32 inch scale, that would make an awsome shorty thumper!

15. Is it a suggestion or you want one??

If you want one just pm me....

16. sorry, just a suggestion, thinking out loud :)

17. k, i'll think about it when i'll have finish this one.

p.s : that suggestion is a next project.

18. XylemBassGuitar

XylemBassGuitar Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 14, 2008
    Durango, CO
    Owner and Operator, Xylem Handmade Basses and Guitars
    Pretty cool design. I'd stick with the 36" scale, seems to fit the design a little better.

Just one thing to keep in mind, the pointier you make the horns, the easier they'll break off.

You should post your build as it progresses Mikey R!

19. christmetal

christmetal

Aug 21, 2008
    that would be a tight bass
    that is for sure

20. Why it would be tight?