Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

YOUR OPINION Warwick Thumb or Musicman Sterling

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sk8terguy316, Dec 31, 2004.

1. Im going to check them out in a couple of days, but I want your opinon in the meantime what do you think would be better for me I'm 13 I play Classic Rock, Rock,Funk Rock(RHCP),and Marcus Miller, Stanley Clarke so what would e your oinon on a Warwick Thumb 4 or a Musicman Sterling

2. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    Sterling

3. Thumb!

4. Sterling (or even Stingray).

5. Cliff Bordwell

Cliff Bordwell Commercial User

Jan 6, 2004
    USA , Orlando , Florida
    Owner of CB BASSES
    I would say the sterling will give you booty you need to get a good slap tone. Thumbs can be a little thin sounding when slapped.

6. Never played a sterling, however I am a very big fan of warwick thumbs, they are a great play and have fantastic tone. Just my opinion.

7. Never really liked how Musicman basses look. But then again, I haven't played the Warwick Thumb (heard a lot of good about it though) so I can't give you a good recommendation.

8. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    Tough choice, I'd get the thumb then 2 years later get the sterling :).

9. Thumb hands down

10. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    Sterling.

11. FUNKonthewall

FUNKonthewall Nailing The Groove

Sep 29, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Endorsing: Fodera Guitars, Aguilar Amps, Dunlop/MXR Accessories
    Sterling.

12. Sane

Sane

Dec 4, 2004
    Melbourne Fl
    Sterling Imo... if weight is an issue, the Thumb can be a bit heavy feeling, though that can be a good thing, amazing tone. If you have access to both ... play them. These are very different basses... in the end its what feels right and sound right to you...

13. oversoul

oversoul fretless by fate

Feb 16, 2004
    Portugal
    Another for Sterling.

14. Skavenger

Skavenger

May 26, 2002
    Sweden
    Go with the Thumb. My personal experience with Warwicks, and in this case, Thumbs is all good. Sure, they feel a bit awkward at first, but they grow on you. Now I can't imagine myself with anything else! As for the Sterling, I've never played one. I've played a Stingray but I didn't like it. Too bulky a frame for me, especially seeing as I'm used to Warwick's subtle bodies. The sound in Stingrays is nothing short of amazing, but then again, so is the Thumb sound.

15. 5stringFanatic

5stringFanatic

Mar 3, 2004
    NY, USA
    Another vote for the Thumb. Hands down an amazing bass.
    H

16. flea claypool

flea claypool

Jun 27, 2004
    Ireland
    YOUR 13!!! and you plan on getting one of those 1000+ instruments!!!

unless you have been playin say 2-3years i wouldnt bother as if you buy the gear and lack the skill you will be dissapointed

but then again you might rock... if so go for it!!!

but they are 2 heavy basses for a 13 year old!!!

But the thumb wins hands down in my opinion
    Good luck

17. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    What I like will have no bearing on you, sk8terguy316. Both are fine basses, but are apples and oranges IMO.

Are you in a position where you can A/B both at the same time? That's the only way you'll be able to answer your question in a meaningful way. I'd look for a GC that has both in stock.

I've said in the past that if I could only have one bass, it'd be a Sterling. But that's me.

18. I'd defintely get the sterling

19. Aragorn35016

Aragorn35016 Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Arab, Al.
    +1 for sterling!!

20. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Neither :p

Get a Corvette FNA Jazzman. You'll have a very good compromise there. Less growl than the Thumb, but less weight and better balance, also; more growl and lows, and a wider palette of sounds than from a MM, though you will not get the *exact* MM tone (but close, nonetheless).

Just my $0.02