1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Your opinion: which color Jazz?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MicG, Dec 27, 2011.

1. Identical Sunburst w/tort, RW board

29 vote(s)
    24.4%
  2. Sunburst w/black, Maple board w/ inlays (ala Geddy)

7 vote(s)
    5.9%
  3. Vintage White w/tort, RW board

54 vote(s)
    45.4%
  4. Black n' Maple

20 vote(s)
    16.8%
  5. Other (please explain in thread)

9 vote(s)
    7.6%
  1. MicG

MicG Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2006
    Garden City, Michigan
    Hey there everyone,

Looking for opinions here (I've got my own). Which color Jazz Bass do you think would best compliment a 60's style Sunburst w/tort RW board Pbass?

MicG

2. Faceley

Faceley

Dec 28, 2003
    North Carolina
    Cream with black pickguard and maple board.

3. MicG

MicG Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2006
    Garden City, Michigan
    Poll is now up

4. groove pump

groove pump

Oct 24, 2006
    For the sake of contrast, how 'bout a natural ash body with whatever fingerboard you prefer?

Hey, the good news is that you can only wear one of them on your shoulder at a time, right? In any case, the better it sounds and feels in your hands, the better it will eventually look... probably. :eek:

5. 64jazz

64jazz

Nov 29, 2011
    Louisville, KY USA
    I would go with the Oly white and a tort guard. That combination has been calling my name for the past few months, but I've got a sunburst/tort Jazz and a black/pearl fretless Jazz and can't justify another one at the moment. :rollno:

6. StuartV

StuartV Finally figuring out what I really like Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2006
    Manassas, VA
    I am a dyed-in-the-wool black'n'maple fan. And 3TSB is my second least favorite color (after natural).

Translucent Red 'n Maple, or Candy Apple Red 'n Maple would also look really nice.

Any of those 3, even better with black blocks and binding (i.e. Geddy style).

7. MicG

MicG Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2006
    Garden City, Michigan
    Hm..So far the poll is showing what I suspected (vintage white). Keep the votes coming!

8. jwj1701

jwj1701

Nov 17, 2011
    Lexington KY
    Funny, I just got that exact bass for christmas.

9. GBassNorth

GBassNorth

Dec 23, 2006
    SoCal
    I voted vintage white with tort guard and rosewood neck (just like the one I recently built in the attached pics). I went with gold hardware, strings, frets, nut, screws because it just fit the look I was after, but chrome or black hardware would look good as well.

I didn't want the white too bright or yellowed or tan so I went with a vanilla color which goes great with the all rosewood neck. Here's a shot next to a white piece of paper for reference:

The reason I went with a vintage aged white look is because I'm typically wearing dark colored shirts and pants on stage and it made the bass stand out a bit more.

10. MicG

MicG Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2006
    Garden City, Michigan
    GBassNorth:

You know what, I'm considering a Fender (parts) vintage Jazz build and have my eye on a few parts. I think there's something about the contrast from 3TSB to Vintage white that appeals to my eye. Additionally what you said about dark colored shirts and pants making the bass stand out also makes sense. Anyway, nice bass!

11. i really dont know if this would compliment your current bass... but i think a red burst jazz or purple dye jazz would look amazing

12. Daphne blue..tort or mint pg....rosewood board

13. soulman969

soulman969 Banned

Oct 6, 2011
    Englewood, Colorado
    +1 Vintage White/Black/Maple

14. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    Black on black with a maple board would be my first choice, with white/tort being a close second.

15. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    Sweet bass, but that's not Vintage White. (Yours looks more like Olympic White.) This is Vintage White:

IMG_0351.

16. GBassNorth

GBassNorth

Dec 23, 2006
    SoCal
    Good point.
    I didn't want the Fender #41 Vintage White paint code (too yellow for me), nor did I want the #05 Olympic White paint (too new looking), nor did I want the #80 Artic White paint (too stark). I went with a custom color between #41 and #05 that I would call Vintage or Aged Olympic White. Also keep in mind that white is one of the hardest colors to accuratey capture, it almost always looks white until you put it along side a reference white and then it suddenly looks darker or brighter than the reference white.
    Here's a useful link to the Fender color chart:
    FenderĀ® Support: Color Chart

17. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Banned

Jan 20, 2011
    I prefer vintage whites with maple boards, and variety. I wouldn't get similar basses. My vote: white pickguard on white on maple. Like a blank canvas to paint on. Or boring vanilla.

18. Gord_oh

Gord_oh Midtown Guitars Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Michigan
    stole this from another TBer, but this will be my next jazz project color combo
    jazz1.

19. soxhats

soxhats Supporting Member

Jan 4, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    After ridiculous GAS for months, I sprung for a... seafoam green!

20. MicG

MicG Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2006
    Garden City, Michigan
    Well I decided to order some parts, my next jazz build will be Olympic White w/ tort and RW board. Personally, the jury's still out on whether or not I'm a fan of maple boards. I've own a few but seem to keep coming back to RW.