Your opinion: Why are the Yankees choking this season?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Michael Jewels, Jun 30, 2005.

1. Is it that they're the oldest Pro Baseball team out there?

Is it the, "Curse of The Bambino," reversed?

What do you think?

Please keep it civil. ;)

2. xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    being an ex new englander, and living in nj now(ps, im a big sox fan) i think the time has come.

it is possible that the curse has been reversed.....thats what i would go with.
  3. Because they finally $bought$ themselves into a corner. They owe so much on their joke of a golden boy, have crap for a pitching staff (imo... but so does Boston in a way), and are generally don't collectively have their heads in it.

If you know who didn't feel the need to flex his checkbook to steal A-rod away from Boston just to say they could, they could get rid of him and get in some younger talent prospects to fill in their offense. But they can't. No one can afford him, and after his antics in last years series w/ Boston, no one wants him.

Sure, he has his moments, but Jeter and Godzilla-man are all around better players stuck in the middle of a bunch of mediocre ones.

Flame away, just my opinion.
  4. Yeah, that and they have no one in their farm leagues that anyone esle would want, the Randy Johnson aquisition was a really bad move, and they have way too many old guys in their roster making way too much money. They ran their team into the ground in their persuit of keeping us from winning...and we did, and they're screwed and prolly will be screwed for a couple more years as a result of all this.

Oh well.
  5. The Yankees now are what everyone falsely accused them of being in the 90's: a collection of high-priced free agents. There's no chemistry. They are not a team, like they were in the days of Paul O'Neill, Tino Martinez (the first time), Andy Pettitte, etc.
    And, I have to take issue with the word "choking". It's so overused in sports. Choking is something that happens to an individual under pressure. A team doesn't choke. Suck, maybe. :meh:
  6. C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Maybe their wallets are holding them up.
  7. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    The pitching staff is not that great. The front office took a few gambles with the pitching staff, and it bit them in the butt.

8. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Hand of god.

Up next, frogs and locusts.
  9. I don't know why....but I'm really enjoying it. I've never been a Yankee fan.
  10. I agree, especially about Jeter. ;)

Now, what do you think Steinbrenner will do if this slump persists, and when?

11. I think he will yell at the team again. :smug: Soon. While the press is listenning. Then make up some excuses to cover his ego.
  12. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Sheffield looks to be on his way out. I know he said he wasn't going to leave, but I can't imagine that attitude is appreciated.

13. Andy P hasn't really been the same since he's come to Houston. Due to the injury he sustained last year, he's just now coming close up to a full recovery. Of course, the Astros are doing worse than the Yankees this season, but thats another thread altogether.

True story: He lives across the street from me. Really.
  14. Pitching is the big reason. The starters haven't been good, and the middle relievers sure aren't good either. Defense has also been a problem, especially in the outfield. When you're playing Matsui at center field, you've got troubles...

Mon Rominee, I realize that being from New England you have a lot of stored up hatred towards the Yankees, but I don't think you could be more wrong about A-Rod. His contract, while certainly huge, is not really bothering the Yankees financially - it's honestly only around 10% of their massive payroll. With another 180 mil in change to spend, they can certainly absorb the damage. Giambi making 13 mil and Kevin Brown making 15 mil are likely the bigger concerns. To suggest that Matsui, who is a strong hitter but a notoriously bad fielder, is a better all-around player than A-Rod is a bit of a joke, don't you think? Jeter I won't argue with, since it can certainly be said that his postseason contributions are what make him great, but I think you're showing a surprising lack of respect for a guy with 500 homers at age 29.

I hate the Yankees as much as anyone (Go Pirates!), but blaming A-Rod for the Yankees' problems makes me think you haven't been watching much baseball this season. He's been their best player, by a lot.

In any case, I hope they miss the playoffs. No offense to you New Yorkers, but to me the Yankees represent the death of small-market baseball, and coincidentally, the guaranteed mediocrity of my beloved Pirates. :bawl:
  15. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    I love my Yankees, have since I was a kid growing up on Long Island. There's still a lot of ball left to be played. I have faith that they will turn it around. They may not win it all this year, but they will IMO start to turn things around. 6 games out seems like a lot, but in reality, if they beat the cox and orioles in each series they play, they can in fact get on top. Especially, if the pitching staff pulls thier heads outta there asses, the best pitcher they have IMO in Musina.
  16. Rodent

Rodent Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Regenerate Guitar Works
    As a relocated Sox fan, all I can say is that the icing on a long due dessert is being served. Game 7 of the ALCS was the cake last year. Ohhh baby!!!

Whatever the reason ... I'm ready for another helping, please :hyper:

17. CQBASS

Dec 1, 2004
    Asheville NC
    who cares.... as long as they are. :D
  18. So cruel. :bawl:

Mike :D
  19. don't forget that their competition, especially in the division, has gotten better as well.
    Other than that, I don't feel I have a right to bag the Yanks right now, since the Mariners are suckin' wind.