Your opinions about this G&L ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JayAmel, May 8, 2002.

1. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France

Found this used Climax bass on the Net, at a pretty low price ($ 550). It is dated of 1992 and is in near mint condition.

Is this a good, decent, excellent or... bad bass ?

Thanks in advance !

All the best,
  2. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    If you like the MM Stingray, you'll probably like that bass. G&L makes good stuff, in my opinion.

To be honest, though, $550 seems a bit high, but not outrageous. I'd keep sniffin' around for a little better deal, personally. G&Ls hit eBay all the time (if you're willing to go that route).

Everything about that bass screams Stingray - pickup/pickup position, electronics, shape, etc.
  3. JayAmel

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Thanks Planet Boulder,

That's exactly what I thought to myself when I saw it. Even with the cost of shipment to France, and that of the VAT at the customs (19.60 p.cent of the billing price), this remains a correct price here.

However, I wonder if this bass series has the "hum" problem I read about sometimes regarding to G&L's...?

About eBay : very few American sellers ship internationally, and no European musician sells a G&L :D In other words, I almost have no chance to get a used G&L from eBay. And in case of any problem with an international seller, things would be VERY complicated. I prefer to keep prevented from that.

Thanks again,

All the best,
  4. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    $100 more and you can get a used L2000

Then again, I don't know about France.
  5. snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    I agree with PB that it might be a bit high. I would go $450-500 w/case if it's close to mint. Try and find out what blemishes it has, and use that as a bargaining tool. Looks nice in the pic, though, so I don't know if you'll find a '92 that nice. You'll seldom get a lemon with G&L. Their fit and finish is usually top notch, and their pickups are hot.
  6. JayAmel

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Thanks Big Wheel,

A new L-2000 here lists around $ 2000.00... and there are only two finishes available : blueburst and honey. And there are no used G&L's.

All the best,
  7. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    I used to own a G&L L1500 custom. The bass on the pic you've attached looks like it, with a different finish.

IMO, G&L basses are way better than Fenders or MM. L1500 and L2000 are vey good instruments. Well built, they offer a great variety of sounds. electronics can be switched from passive to active and Pu's are excellent.

>>>>a good bass, and 550$ is not so expensive.

BTW, haven't heard of the hum problem...mine was dead quiet.

During your trip to Paris - Pigalle, you'll probably find some G&L...

Take care.

8. JayAmel

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Thanks Snyderz,

I'm gonna have a wait, because I am currently trying to deal here on two basses. But I wish to keep an eye on anything of interest, just because my mind is open to any bass.

If I deal for this G&L, I'll try to have it downpriced, or maybe, as Big Wheel said, try to find a L-2000 for $ 100.00 more.

Many thanks,

All the best,
  9. JayAmel

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Thanks JP,

Anyway, as soon as I know when I go to Paris I'll email you and take appointment. I'd be happy to visit you and see your work.

All the best,
  10. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    You're welcome Jean...

11. craigb

craigb Supporting Member

I've had two of these basses in the past. I picked each of them up for $450 w/case (one from ebay, one from a private seller) - but as you mention I'm in the US and they are easier to come by.

Both of mine were somewhat noisy in active mode but dead quiet in passive mode. They are probably more comparable to a Musicman Sterling than a Stingray because:

1) Climaxes come with a jazz-like neck (1-1/2" wide at the nut)
    2) The controls include active/passive and series/parallel switching

I liked both of the Climaxes I had, I just personally need a neck pickup and have moved to using G&L SB-2s (P-J pickup configuration).
  12. JayAmel

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Thanks Craigb,

According to what you told me, I guess I should not get a G&L unless I can play it before buying. JB-like necks don't bother me, but hum does, since I do lot of work in studio. And I wouldn't like to limit my work on passive mode... :D

Thanks again,

All the best,
  13. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I don't think $550 is alot for an Active USA Made bass. This bass has a retail price of about $1500 & normally sell for about $1000 new. I'd buy it.
  14. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

G&L's are not shielded. I have heard that shielding them cures their hum problems. And not all G&L's hum. It depends more on your surrounding environment and the condition of your electrical circuits than the bass itself. They are very hot, and any interference or hum picked up will be very loud. But, as I said, a good shielding job should make the bass quiet.
  15. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    where i live there is a small store where i try to get everything from.
    he has a 1983 G&L sb-2 it is soooo awsome!!!!!
    black with a maple neck! oooooooo my gas is back!!
    i have to have it!!!
    it has to be the best sounding bass i have ever played on!
    i have played some high dollar basses!
    it has some worn paint no chips tho. nice relic tho.
    only $425! i have found these basses for $600 or more! any where else if i can find one

16. craigb

craigb Supporting Member

Like Embellisher said, a good shielding job (and possibly having the wiring trimmed - I've read that the wiring can be a bit messy as well) should fix the humming. My personal hands-on experience:

2 Climaxes, both were noisy in active mode in a noisy environment (quiet some places, noisy others)
    2 L-2000s, both were fine
    2 SB-2s, fine (except for the un-paired single coil pickup)

Moparpunk281 - is that a J-J SB-2? I haven't tried one of those yet. I got both of my P-J SB-2s for about $435 each over the net (1 via ebay,1 personal transaction). I love 'em and have a third on the way to have a Moses neck put on.
  17. Hi jaylanb,
    you could try to go the european way:

This shop near Milan, Italy has an Asat, a L-1500 fretless and L-5500 (old style 5-string with EMG) at euro 1214, 1137, 1374.
    They are demos but look like new.
    I checked the Asat out and it sounds awesome with no hum, at least in the shop.