Your opinions on basses, please

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Michael Jewels, Dec 1, 2000.

1. Hey everyone, I'm a new member, but a long time player.
    I just wanted to get a your opinions on differnt brands
    of basses.What I'm getting at is: which brands do you
    like and why? I have a 1979 Ibanez Musician (remember
    the bass Sting used to play in the early 80s)and love it!
    I bought it in 1981 new, and believe me it's stood the test
    of time.The neck is still like new, the electronics are good; O.K., I haven't played it to death, but what I'm
    getting at is when you mention Ibanez to some people, they
    look at you like,"Why did you buy one of them?" I've also
    checked out some Yamahas, and was very impressed.I also own
    a fretless Fender Jazz; it's excellent.I'm mainly talking
    about basses that sell(not retail)for $1,200.00 or less.
    I'm not swearing by any one brand, but I may buy another
    bass soon for the amount specified above, and someone told me I'd be crazy not to buy Musicman or Spector or something similar for that money.Is it that the others aren't U.S.
    made? Please, post your opinions, I think we'll all learn alot from this exchange of ideas.Thanks alot.

Mike J.

P.S.Any thoughts on the Epiphone Jack Casady Signature?
  2. alembicbones

Nov 10, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    I just sold a Musician Fretless that was featured on a poster of The Police last week. That was a great bass for the money. It sounds like your Musician is your workhorse bass. Very solid.

I've always been a fan Alembic basses. I currently have a 5 string Essence that is my main player. The low pass filter gives you oodles of tonal possiblities and it can handle all styles of music. Used, you should be able to come across one at your price range.

Noticing you have a Fender Jazz, Modulus has an intriguing bass with their Genesis VJ series. It appears to be a Jazz Bass modernized, but to really give the feel of a 60's Fender. I plan on trying one out tomorrow.

Happy Hunting,

3. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    In other words, you want to read every other thread on the board without all that inconvenient clicking and searching...

Seriously, That's what all the other threads are there for; also, there's a search function that allows you to find any particular item you might be curious about. If you're curious about one particular item, you can always post a question about that item.

Will C.:cool:
  4. bassics

Nov 27, 2000
    Newark, Ohio
    In that price range I like the Ibanez too. also the nicer Washburns and some of the Alvarez's, I'm not too sure about the Yamahas, but I haven't played all the models yet.
    also, in that price range, are the Carvins, which, from what I have heard, will SMOKE ALL the aforementioned basses.
    check around to see if someone you know has one, and check it out, you can't find them in stores as they are direct order only, unless you happen to live in Cal. where they have two showrooms. If you get a chance to try one, let us know what you think, there are a couple other threads about them in here.
  5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    For $1,200, you could probably get a new Fender Roscoe Beck 5. Top that. You could get a Stingray 5 for that, too. Maybe a Pedulla Rapture Bass of some sort. If I had $1,200 for a bass, you can bet it wouldn't be wasted on another Ibanez.
  6. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    For the money your looking at spending you can get a Fender Jazz Bass Deluxe, Stingray, even a Spector. I am a Fender man myself and think they give the best tonal options out of basses mentioned, that is just my opinion, I used to have an old Ibanez Roadstar bass, wish I still had it because it sounds better than the sr885 and sr406 that I have now, Ibanez quality has gone severily down hill since they closed there custom shop, thats why ppl look at you funny when you mention Ibanez. Carvin bass's are also worth looking into, they have an excellent warranty policy and 10 day no questions asked money back guarantee, drawback to that is you have to eat the shipping costs on the return shipment.
  7. Bernie

Dec 12, 1999
    Theres tons of nice basses in your price range.Im a fan of the RB-5 also.As to the Casady bass,i LOVE mine.Incredible tones!Plays real nice also but its not as fast as say a J bass.You really should give one a try in your search.Good luck!
  8. WarlockBass

Dec 1, 2000
    I use to have a Billy Sheehan Attitude Plus by Yamaha but it was a cheap one..

I am guessing that the more expensive one would be a kick ass bass with a really good sound.. I know I loved my Sheehan Bass but I got rid of it for a washburn because I was going to play lead but I didn't like it so I picked myself up a Warlock Platinum w/ Widow Headstock because we play metal..

I hope you look into the Sheehan Attitude Plus
  9. I bought an Ibanez Artist EQ in 1980. It was a fantastic bass. I couldn't afford an Alembic and this was a close to that as I could get. The Artist EQ was a rare version of the musician. I've since learned that only about 500 were made during those years. I actually sold it and bought back my fretless from the music store. Wish I hadn't.