Your opinions on the Schroeder mega thread: Is it getting too big?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Ostinato, Feb 14, 2005.

1. slinkp

slinkp

Aug 29, 2003
    brooklyn, NY, USA
    Editing the mega-thread down to some summaries would be an AWESOME thing, but good lord, who could possibly manage it? It's freakin' huge!

2. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I just got my cab and based on a quick review, the thread is not too big. It is justified.

3. Elliott

Elliott

Mar 20, 2000
    My theory is that when a thread gets too big, its gravity causes it to collapse on itself, creating an eleven dimension space . . . . no, wait a minnit, that's string theory. :eyebrow:

Sorry.

4. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    Now there will be a mega-thread ON a mega-thread. That hardly makes sense. :confused:

5. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    No you didn't miss anything. You've echoed my thoughts exactly, but those thoughts got me into a bit of trouble. I've had to accept that those specs are all we're going to get.

I don't think it's necessary to sumarise the megethread. Leave it as it. At the same time, let the other Schroeder threads exist in their own right. After all, the same applies to any other manufacturer doesn't it?

6. uglybassplayer

uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    Petebass, you absolutely shouldn't have been beaten up for your skeptism and for wanting specs. My guess is that Jorg used "mom's recipe" for his design of these cabinets... He started with a design that had promise, the Tech Soundsystems cabinet, then he added his own personality from there. You know, a dash of this and a pinch of that... He tried it, and if it didn't quite sound right to him, he made some adjustments and tried again. This is only speculation on my part, but I'm guessing he hasn't published full specs because he's never actually taken any measurements. In theory, that should have been a red flag to me not to trust the hype surrounding these boxes, but enough people (many of whom have earned my respect and trust based on the history of their posts here on TB) were blown away by them, and it was enough for me to take a chance and call Jorg to place an order. His patience and willingness to answer my questions and discuss his cabinets did a lot to make me more comfortable making the purchase without ever hearing them for myself. For me at least, it payed off, big! I couldn't be more happy with my 1210. IMO it lives up to all of the hype it has been getting on this forum. I do wish Jorg would take some measurements and post a full set of specs, if for no other reason than to satisfy everyone's curiosity. That being said, I doubt that in the end that it would matter to me what the actual specs are... It wouldn't change my opinion of how great my 1210 sounds to me.

- Ugly.

7. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Fair enough glybassplayer, but can I just clarify something. None of the "beating" I recieved came from Jorg. He's been nothing but cool to everyone on TB, even me.

8. uglybassplayer

uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    I know Petebass, I had been following the megathread since page 4 or 5, so I know most of the verbal sparring taking place was among those who either owned or tried the cabinets and those who had a hard time believing the hype and wanted some cold hard specs to back up the claims. I notice similar problems with threads concerning the Peavey Cirrus (which I also happen to own). If someone says something negative about one, there's little doubt a swarm of loyal fans will swoop down to defend her honor. Personally, I don't think there's a single piece of gear out that is truly a "one size fits all" solution... and I believe that's a good thing. What a boring world this would be if we all had the same tastes :oops:

- Ugly.

9. Akito

Akito

Dec 1, 2003
    Spokane
    I'll jump on the mini-mega-thread. I've got a 1210 and at approx. 55 pounds it just kicks the crap out of many larger and MUCH heavier cabs that I have owned. At my last gig we had PA problems, and I ended up having to drive the rather large room with my single 1210. No problem at all! To me it practically does the job of my 6x10 at less than half the weight. The thing that took the most getting used to is how low to the floor the cab is. Luckily I am secure in my manhood because my rig is tiny now! I was surprised in gigging situations how well I could hear and feel the cab's output even though it looks like it should only be pushing the air around my ankles.

10. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    I've been doing the "on its side" thing with my 1210. This puts the inner 10" speaker angled up at me so I hear it loud and clear. Also this makes it taller. I don't know if this is "correct" but it works for me. Yes it is a loud cab! I use it by itself and the hype is true, it sounds as loud as cabs twice its size.

11. gruuv

gruuv

Jan 23, 2004
    Tennessee
    :D

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 23, 2021