Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Your Opinions please, Bass Brethren!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mr Bassman, Sep 1, 2000.

1. Mr Bassman

Mr Bassman

Aug 28, 2000
    UK
    I am thinking about getting a New Trace Elliot 7215 Combo amp (300 watt) to replace my recently sold amp.

My band play all sorts of **** e.g. funk, reggae, ska, rock, blues, soul e.t.c so it needs to be versatile. I also didn't really want to go over the £450 mark (which is about $650.00 usd)

Please state you views (good and bad) - I'd rather know now than get landed with a turkey!

Thanx in advance - Niggy®

2. Hello there!
    I used to have a gp715 SM it was only about 150w, which was too weak for me so I got a Mesa/Boogie Bass 400+.. oh well its a different story. Back to the Trace. Erhh the trace has got a quite distinct trace sound so to speak. Either you like it or not. But it is possible to tweak it around quite a bit i noticed.. once i realised that the sound i had was not what i liked. So I tweaked it, and it worked just fine with my new sound. I found my amp (it did have the same Pre you know gp7) Quite versaitle, but perhaps too sterile without dirt. But that is due to the solid state construction of it. Trace Amps are very well constructed and you can bash doors and walls with them without a scratch on it. Like a tank. The main problem with my amp was that some buttons were kinda raspy. But that is a classic trace problem i have heard. Nothing much just that little annoying... but if you play bass more than you press the buttons youll be allright. For the price I must say it is one of the best amps i have played. Compact, loud, sturdy, good sound, not too pricey.. but be sure to play it and tweak it before you buy it.

Any further questions? Go ahead!
    Until then,

3. JimM

JimM

Jan 13, 2000
    Northern California
    We've talked about these a few times if you want to check the archives.

I've played thru a couple of them at churches.Both were 2x10+horn combos.The first one had less power,but its horn was much more noticeable than the second one,which I'm still using.We had a problem with the DI on the current amp,the sound man said it was so noisey and distorted he couldn't use the signal.We sent it across country(I'm in California)and it turns out it was wired for 50 Hz power.We have 60 Hz.here.They corrected the problem and it works fine now.Still not much treble out of that horn.

I like the Trace sound,but as my drummer says the 2x10s are all mids with no top or bottom.If you compare it with my Eden 1x15 I'd say he's right.

Bottom line as usual is try one out thoroughly including the DI etc.before you buy.

4. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Versatility + Power = Carvin.
    http://www.carvin.com
    See the combos they have, those are very powerfull and very good sounding. Specially the Cyclops.