Your opinions please...portable yet powerful rigs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Macron69, Jul 3, 2001.

1. Macron69

Mar 24, 2000
    Puerto Rico
    Whaddaya think of this?
    a 300 watt head with two 2x10 cabs.
    Brands considered are Ampeg, G-K and Hartke.

your thoughts, fellow bassists...
  2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Why don't you throw Carvin's 2-10" in there too? Its 600 watts make many owners happy, both with the sound and volume. Then there's the Peavey BAM.

If those are out of the picture, I'm stuck on Ampegs.
  3. Macron69

Mar 24, 2000
    Puerto Rico
    well, i havent heard any Carvin system yet, so i don't know.
    but thanks anyways, i'll look if a i can find anyone who has one just to hear it
  4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

If a "carvin" or "rc210" search here doesn't turn up much, starting a thread on it may, since there a several owners among the TalkBass faithful.

If you can get your hands on one of the Bass Player issues from earlier this year, Jan?/Feb?, they reviewed it and liked it.
  5. Another Cavin vote
  6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Nope. Eden Metro or SWR Super Redhead. You'll never go back to sheep.
  7. Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    I'd say that 300W head with an Ampeg 4x10 cab. The ampeg cab is 400W and it has wheels, can't get more portable than wheels heh.
  8. consider eden metro, it can go down to 2 ohms. You've got 350w though the 2x10 already there, you want more watts (600), add another cab. that simple.
  9. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    Unless you have to go up a flight of stairs.
  10. I played an outdoor party yesterday with a Carvin RL600 2x10 combo. The owner carries it easily, and it put out a good amount of noise. It was very weak on the low B, but still usable.

[ edit ]

The problem I have with the RL210 is that Carvin uses a pair of PS10 drivers that are suited for 4.1 cubic feet each. The pair should be running in 8+ cubic feet, and not the tiny cab that Carvin stuffed them into. Too bad, as they sound nice, but this accounts for why they droop so badly in the bass end.
  11. Macron69

Mar 24, 2000
    Puerto Rico
    Originally posted by Lefty Punk Bass
    I'd say that 300W head with an Ampeg 4x10 cab. The ampeg cab is 400W and it has wheels, can't get more portable than wheels heh.

Unless you have to go up a flight of stairs.

That's precisely my problem. 4x10 cabs are sweet, but too darn heavy when facing stairs, which I've been doin a lot lately. That's why i'm going for two separate 2x10 cabs and head.I'd rather make two or three easy journeys from my car to a second floor than one rigourous journey with a mammoth cab. especially when i can't find help
  12. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Start working out, man! :D Just kidding. ;)
  13. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    IF you can float the cash, I's seriously consider the metro. Those things sound great and are small enough. IF not, look into a Nemesis NC210P They are are also small, very light and sound very good. They are LOUD!!!

They have lots of pro features and are not that expensive. You can tack a 4 ohm extension cab to one and really get loud.

I just bought one. I like it alot.
  14. DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    I like 410's even with stairs. I would rather roll a 410 than carry a 210 across a parking lot. A 300 watt amp is OK but I'm from the "get as much power as you can afford" school. I would rather drive a 400 watt cab with 500-600 or more watts than with 300 watts. You can't have too much clean headroom.