your opinions please-slap bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SRSiegel, Sep 28, 2001.

1. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    thanks for all the help so far guys, i appreciate it. im looking for a bass that will give me more of a modern slap sound... deep and punchy with clear highs... i think its safe for me to say i wont be able to get this from a fender within my price range. Ive also heard of (and seen on ebay) an imported, and hence cheaper version of the Stingray 5. Does anyone know where I can get information on these? have any opinions? I'm looking to spend about 500 dollars at the most. What would you guys pick out of These?
    Ibanez ATK 305 (used)
    MTD Kingston 5
    Yamaha BB5GS
    Dean Edge Q5 with EMG's and active electronics
    Imported (cheap version) Stingray 5

Thanks a ton, also If anyone has any of these basses for sale, or knows where I can find one, as well as any others you think might fit my needs.... please email me!

2. Out of that list I'd put the Yamaha and MTD Kingston on top. I've heard the Yamahas and known owners of them and they sound good. Also heard good things about the MTD around here. I don't know much about the dean but you may hear good things about them too.

The initial consensus on the OLP Stingray 5 is that the string spacing is WAY to tight, the B is sub par and the electronics are mediocre.

I personally stay away from Ibanez.
  3. wildbillking

wildbillking Guest

Sep 27, 2001
    phoenix, arizona
    i own that dean. i love it but i have to agree that the yamaha takes the cake. i own one of those too:)
  4. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I think you may want to check out the Fender MIM Jazz Bass deluxe with active EQ. IMO nothing does a slap tone like a "J" and the deluxe has the active EQ that you may want.
  5. I'd take the MTD from that list.
  6. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.
    i personally liked the dean edge q5 and the ibanez atk.
  7. Yeah, i'd second the ATK notion...big sound...