Your Opinions Please

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Bassline1414, May 27, 2004.

1. Hello,
    I used to frequent these boards but I haven't posted in a long, long time. Anyways, I thought I'd get the TBers perspective on some of the material I've been working on as of late (that is, if you would like to).

This song is a mash-up of all the styles I've been into lately, namely film scores and electronica (you can also hear some Mr. Bungle influence as well). The part at about :55 seconds is my vocals overdubbed about 5 or 6 times with lots of chorus and reverb. Also, I got my friend to overdub some violin harmonies for me.

I wrote and recorded this song about six months ago. The major influences for it were Aphex Twin/Squarepusher and Dillinger Escape Plan. I did the percussion by sampling a bunch of guitar noises and EQing them to imitate electronic drums.

This song is my tribute to Ennio Morricone and Nino Rota, two of my favorite composers. My friend recorded the female vocal for me, which was inspired by the score to "Once Upon a Time in the West". I recorded the piano with a dictaphone to give it an old-fashioned sound. I also used the same violin player as the first song. And, if you listen carefully, there's a sample of dialogue from the movie "Carnival of Souls".

Thanks for listening!
  2. Thanks, Smash. I still play bass, although I wouldn't say it's my main focus at the moment. That second song probably contains some of my most creative basslines. Lately, though, I've found myself using a lot of synth bass.
  3. freakin A, dude! I haven't talked to you on AIM in like two years!
  4. 'Tis been awhile, Jake.

Annnnnnnyone else care to give an opinion/criticism?
  5. pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    howdy neighbor.... been a long time! good to see you around....

Those tunes are by far a stretch for much of what I listen to... however, I oculd probably get into that sort of stuff! very cool.....

6. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Hmm, interesting. I think I wouldn't mind playing in a band with you. Neat stuff.
  7. Thanks, PM. You still working at Musician's Friend?

Thanks, Benjamin. The only problem is that I have problems with keeping band members, drummers in particular. I've lost 2 or 3 drummers because they said they weren't feeling the music. :crying: Ah well, I'd have problems recreating most of this stuff live anyways.

Thanks everyone for listening.