Your opinions please

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sharpy, Mar 21, 2002.

1. Sharpy

Mar 21, 2002
    Ipswich, UK
    Well I'm hoping to splash some cash pretty sooon and buy myself a new bass. I've been playing quite a while and I'm after something of nice quality, and a really good variety of sounds. I'm not really after a "one sound" bass even if it's a great sound. 4 strings sufficent. There are a number of likely candidates on sale in my locality:

Musicman Stringray
    Warwick Steamer LX or Stage I
    Yamaha TRB4
    Status energy or shark

What are the drawbacks to each? The plus points.

Alternatives (other than the ubiquitous Fenders which I'm not that taken with) would require a major day trip to the smoke. It would have to be much better than the above to warrant the trip.

I'm prepared to spend what it takes, but it should be noted that here in the UK the first 2 are roughly twice the price of the second two.

You opinions please.....
  2. LizzardTom

Mar 16, 2002
    Well I would not go with the Music Man if you are looking for a variety of sounds. I have owned a Warwick Streamer Stage I and that is a great bass, playes well and has many different sounds. I also like the Yamaha TRB's, but the older ones that were neck thru. I have never played the Status basses, but I understand they are nice. If money is not an issue, I would go for the Warwick. Just my .02 cents.:D
  3. Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Good sound, versatile, sturdy.
    Or a Warwick StageI - as backup:D
  4. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Stingrays are a bit of a one trick pony... however.. The Ray 5 and the sterling have more tonal variety due to their electronics... The Warwick Streamer LX is a great bass. I like it.. I am a sucker for the Thumbs and Corvette prolines... I haven't played any of the other basses so i can't ell you about them...
  5. Amoilbasso

Apr 22, 2000
  6. I don't believe Status make the Energy or the Shark anymore, but if you're in the UK, you might like to look at They appear to have bought a job lot from Status and are selling the Energy 4 string for only £479, which is a bit of a steal. What I remember of Status basses is that they have a very nice neck profile, strong sound, due to the graphite reinforced neck - which also means no dead spots.

The TRB is nice, but I remember the neck being huge (at least on the 5 and 6 string models anyway).

My advice, get a Status, but be quick, I don't think they've got a lot left. If you can stretch to a grand, my local music shop has what I believe is an Eclipse 6 string in very good condition.