Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Your Opinions

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Faceley, Dec 28, 2003.

1. Faceley

Faceley

Dec 28, 2003
    North Carolina
    ok so i have a Fender Jazz Bass nothing Fancy. Now i'm looking to change the neck to a fretless one.so i've asked around and i've been told to visit Warmoth.com, so i have.I looked at all my wood choices and I have chosen Ebony for the neck and Satine for the fret board.Now the website doesn't really say too much about the sound quality that these two woods produce. so does anyone know if these will sound ok, and maybe you can check out the website and make a suggestion as to a better set of woods to use. be in mind that i wanna keep a dark color to it i have my bass set up all black and i like that. so please let me know what you think of this and if my choice to keep it dark inhibits me from a choice of wood that sounds sensational let me know please.

2. Ebony is more commonly used as board wood. It's a harder wood and will take string abuse better.

But heck, it's your bass, do as you wish.

[​IMG]
    Treena

3. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    It would definitely be pretty but I would be a little concerned with what the heavy ebony might do to the balance of the bass. You may have a neck dive problem.

You might want to consider a maple neck/ebony board and dye the neck a dark color.

H. Snyder

4. Faceley

Faceley

Dec 28, 2003
    North Carolina
    Treena you say ebony is more commonly used as a Fingerboard wood.And the funny thing was that was what I was originally going to choose it for, so i think i will stick with that idea and get it as the Fretboard.Now do you have any suggestions as to what wood would make a decent neck or maybe would the Satine as the neck be a decent choice?

5. Bass

Bass

Nov 10, 2003
    Canada
    Interesting... I just ordered a jazz neck from Warmoth, and I'm anxious for it to arrive!

I chose the ebony fingerboard with a Wenge neck. Here's what the website says about Wenge:

A black hard wood with chocolate brown stripes. Very hard, coarser textured wood with open grain. This wood makes awesome bass necks with strong midrange tones and warm lows. Combine it with an ebony fretboard for more brightness. Used primarily as Neck shafts but may also be used as a coarse fretboard. This wood is usually played raw. No Finish required.

Sounds good hey? Just what I wanted, a dark wood that doesn't need a "finish" (like laquer). Other options I chose: 13 degree angle, LP headstock, stainless steel frets and mother of pearl inlays.

I'll post a photo when I receive it. I'm sorry, I have no idea how this neck will sound.

6. Faceley

Faceley

Dec 28, 2003
    North Carolina
    Bass...i like the way that neck sounds i'm guna check that out for myself and i was also looking for a neck that didn't need much in the way of a finish...guess great minds think alike eh?

7. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    I've never heard of "Satine". I guess I need to check out Warmouth site.

8. Bass

Bass

Nov 10, 2003
    Canada
    Facely, here's photos of the Warmoth neck I ordered.

It arrived today, so that's 36 days from the day I ordered. I think that's pretty good, considering I'm in Canada.

I'm pleased with the workmanship at first inspection... it looks exactly like what I ordered. I don't notice any defects and it seems to fit the body very well.

Sorry, I don't know how to attach images very well, can someone clue me in?

9. Bass

Bass

Nov 10, 2003
    Canada
    Photo of the headstock... sorry, you'll have to crank your neck. This is an "LP" head with holes drilled for Ultra-lite tuners. The neck is Wenge with an Ebony fingerboard. Notice the head is angled back at 13 degrees. Also notice I have to make a nut.

10. Bass

Bass

Nov 10, 2003
    Canada
    Here's a closeup of the fingerboard with "mother of pear" inlays. The frets are stainless steel, size 6105. Beautiful, huh?

11. Check out this article Everything You Need To Know About Wood

Maple is my choice, YMMV!

[​IMG]
    Treena

12. Faceley

Faceley

Dec 28, 2003
    North Carolina
    Thank You Treena.