Your Opinon

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by heath_the_great, Jun 11, 2004.

What Gets The Swirl

Poll closed Jun 18, 2004.
  1. Ibanez ATK

13 vote(s)
  2. MIM Fender Jazz

26 vote(s)
  3. Carvin DIY bass

7 vote(s)
  1. ok im definately getting a swirl finished bass.....but im torn betweein either getting my ibanez atk refinished, a MIM Standard Fender Jazz or getting one of those carvin DIY bass kits which come unfinished....

so basically what would be your opinion
    1. the ATK
    2. MIM Fender Jazz
    3. Carvin DIY Bass Kit
  2. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    I'm not sure what a swirl finish is, however if its anything like I imagine it (see Steve Vai / John Petrucci style Ibanez guitars) then I think you should add the option:

4. You gotta be kidding.

3. Yes it is the Vai Style finish :spit: and it'll either be a 2 color or a 4 color, havent decided yet

[​IMG] [​IMG]
  4. A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    Do you have someone that can do the paint locally?
  5. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    i know its not an option, but man, a kubicki would kill with a paint job like that! :bassist:
  6. Nah Dharma, it has to be sent over to the us, ive emailed Wilkins guitars and im just waiting back for a quote on the ibanez now, and i also emailed abouttime designs (the people who do vai's finishes) but i havent heard from them yet....

lyle, there is no @$&@#$^ way this ex-factors gettin altered at all :p , but i did email phil asking if he can do an ex-factor with the swirl finish as a custom but eh rejected it :bawl: , but he did say he would do a fretless ex-factor the same finish as mine for $ i could have twins :smug: :p
  7. Sternen

Jun 7, 2004
    there is an article at that details how to do it yourself, look around over there, you will save a lot of money
  8. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Pfftt.. You and your silly finishes... A lot of the barsers (bassists) here enjoy the look of the natural wood over a painted finish.
  9. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Jazz bass. ATKs look fine.
  10. Funky Doctor

Funky Doctor

Aug 28, 2003
    Man, I had one look at that 4 colour paint job... BLARG. I felt like pagging. I really did. Especially with those green pickups. ewww. But I do like that 2 colour job. I think it's quite classy. At least it won't make audience members want vomit all over each other :D. 2 COLOUR!!!
  11. Obviously you arent fans of Steve Vai or the 80's :spit:

I do like the look of natural, but i also liek the far out, bright, pastel colors, thats why i have a bright green kubicki, the 4 color looks cool, if i had the choice it would be black, purple, green and either red or blue....i wonder if vai's gonna use one of those swirl jems at the concert...i reckon it'd look good on the atk with the giant bridge and a clear pick guard
  12. Funky Doctor

Funky Doctor

Aug 28, 2003
    Vai maybe, but 80's... hmmm. No. Not overly.

bright pastel colours!?!??
  13. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    I like the Vai 4 Color, on a GUITAR... I have seen a few 4 color "Vai" Basses that Looked GAWD Awfull, But the 2 Color Looked Great!
  14. Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX

I like that tile mosaic type one. Well not really that one but it's a good idea.
  15. they're all little mirror's he used it on some tour on "for the love of god" and it would fly out of his hands at the end of the song and be a disco ball for the rest of the off
  16. Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    Cool, I need one. Even if it is just a gimmick.