Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Your Oppinion on the Fender J-bass deluxe (american)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Broach_insound, Jan 26, 2005.

1. Broach_insound

Broach_insound

Jan 25, 2005
    New York
    I am just interested in what people think about this bass :)

2. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    I own one which is up for sale (need money to pay for recently purchsed Metro) Mine was a maple fingerboard/Alder Body and had an excellent Slap sound and pretty good all-round sound. The pickups are far quiter and the fingerboard access up high is a little better then a traditional Jazz. The pre-amp on mine is the nine volt the new one has an 18 volt, I haven't played the new pre amp, Mine was good but booth the J-Retro and the Sadowsky are better voiced systems. My feeling on Fender is this, #1 There best buys new are the Marcus Miller and Geddy Lees, there higher end stuff (the deluxe is 1250 non FMT) at GC is not such a great value, Would much prefer Lakland Skyline DJ or JO in that price range. #2 If you can find one used (Low Down Sound has mine for 799, SHAMLESS PLUG) they are a good buy! The Deluxe does have a graphite reinforced neck, but I never had problems with a MIA Fender neck. Hope this Helps,Steve B

3. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Mine has a maple finger board as well.

It's a great bass, a lot of options tone-wise. It will give you what you want in whatever situation. Yes, it's a Jazz so it's very versatile -- but it does it very well.

On the 5 string: The B string is good, but a bit mushy, or "weak". It's still incredibly useful but compared to my friend's G&L Tribute L-2500 5'er, it doesn't even compare.

If Fender is what you want, you really can't go wrong with the bass, but depending on what kind of style you play, you may find something that interests you more.

4. I tried one out in my local music store the other day and fell in love with it. This week I'm going to go try to buy it. The tone is absolutely incredible.

5. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    I have a 99 Fender American Deluxe Jazz 5. So far it is definetly the best bass I have owned (out of about 6). Like burk said, the electronics are very quiet, and I was very happy with them. The 3 band eq is especially nice. The B isn't the best, but it's usable, as with most fenders. THe craftsmanship is very good too. Overall this is just a solid bass. I wouldn't pay the price for a new one, but like the others have said, you can usually find nice used ones for a pretty good price.

6. hateater

hateater snatch canadian cream

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    The American made Jazz bass is a fine bass that will cover a wide variety of sounds... just make sure you get one in your hands before you buy it.

7. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I owned the Mexican version and have played a passive Am J5.

I liked the Am neck with graphite rods...really solidified the feel to my hands and enhanced sustain.

8. Great tone, amazing feel, and better attention to detail than the standard Americans, in my experience. Definitely a winner.

9. Eli M.

Eli M. Life's like a movie, write your own ending

Jul 24, 2004
    New York, NY
    I have one in alder/rosewood, and I like it a lot. Very versatile for fingerstyle and slap, and it gives me the tones I need. (I would keep mine except I will be selling it later this year to get a five-string).

10. RandallFlagg

RandallFlagg Guest

Aug 18, 2003
    Kansas City
    I have the QMT model (Tobacco Sunburst) and it is flawless! I highly recommend them.

11. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    Mine is alder/maple, sunburst/tort, and it is my current favorite. These basses have 7,643 different sounds :D and are very nice players. Mine will NOT be for sale anytime in the forseeable future.

12. Jim Ingraham

Jim Ingraham

Nov 14, 2002
    Shillington
    I have one of these comin in this week :bassist: ... i'm wondering how it compares to the standard in terms of classic J tone... I traded my Deluxe P for it which i never thought got a very good passive P tone...