1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

"Your Order Has Shipped.....*NOT*!"

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Bongolation, May 3, 2010.

1. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    Anyone else sick of this yet?

Does anyone think companies should know what "shipping" actually means? Like, oh..."We gave your package to the carrier and now they have it and you'll get it someday."

What is there not to understand?

Does anyone here think that "shipping" means, "We have computer-generated a tracking number for a package that so far does not even exist"?

I ordered a laptop last week and it was supposed to go out on Friday. Friday morning, I get an e-mail notification that my order "has shipped." Guess when it actually shipped...oh you already know. A few minutes ago.

This is ALWAYS the case. AT least 70% of the time, the package does not even ship on the same day they send the "your order has shipped" notification.

What "your order has shipped" really means is something more like, "Well, we haven't actually lost your order and we fully intend to sell you the stuff for which you have paid. We're thinking real hard about shipping it!"

I've had orders cancelled, backordered and otherwise voided AFTER so-called "shipping."

2. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    I have never had this problem, as far as I am aware.

3. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    I think that's the operative phrase. If you order a lot of stuff online, you've definitely had it happen.

I am pretty sure there is industry-standard software that emails a "shipped" notice upon generation of the shipper ID.

4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I know what you mean. I get frustrated too when I get those e-mails only to find out it simply means the label has been created and who knows when they will drop off the package with the shipper.

-Mike

5. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Come to think of it, I now recall amazon.com doing that to me once. I got an email saying it shipped, but didnt get a tracking no. for a few days.

6. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Bongo, happens every time I order from Woot.

7. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    Musician's Friend
    Amazon
    B&H
    TigerDirect
    SamAsh.Com

Etc., etc...

8. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    well, when you ship with that kind of volume, you have your own UPS / FedEx shipping junction, and all the tags are generated as ordered / packed...name of the game...it can take 2-3 days past the label creation to get into their system legitimately...ah well, such is life.

9. IconBasser

IconBasser Scuba Viking Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2007
    Alta Loma, California
    ... am I the only one that always gets things ahead of schedule from Amazon? Every time I order something, the estimated arrival is anywhere from 2-3 weeks in the future. I usually get it in two days.

10. PaulNYC

PaulNYC

Apr 2, 2009
    New York, NY
    i got paid for a gig once.

I also get quick service.

11. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    There's a reason they do that, but I don't have time at the moment to explain it in full...but it's about motivating you to go for the pay-shipping faster options. Get it now? ;)

12. I learned their scheme early on. I ordered a bass method book off of amazon (amazing book BTW) came the next day, standard shipping.

13. L-A

L-A

Jul 17, 2008
    Eh?
    I don't know. If I need something really quick, I won't order it on a web site anyway. I'm okay with the messages telling me that the shipping process has begun.

14. This suit is NOT brown.

15. Ugghhhh happening to me RIGHT now.

I get a 'Your order is shipped!' message along with a tracking number on April 23rd. Today is May 4th and still nothing on the tracking page, just a:

"The U.S. Postal Service was electronically notified by the shipper on April 24, 2010 to expect your package for mailing. This does not indicate receipt by the USPS or the actual mailing date."

What?!?!

16. FilterFunk

FilterFunk Everything is on the ONE! Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2010
    "Shipped" means SHIPPED!!! If it hasn't been taken to or picked up by the shipping service, it ain't shipped!

17. stinger12345

stinger12345

Jan 24, 2009
    Hayward, CA
    You have to think about the process it goes through when shipping. They consider it as "shipped" as soon as they initially scan it in the warehouse for pickup. It's stupid.

18. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    True.

I wonder if it's to deflect blame for their own delays onto the shipping carriers. ;)

19. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    If their shipping with that kind of volume, they should have their act together enough that there's no delay beyond shipping on the next business day.

20. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    true, I meant more in the interest of being able to track the parcel online or something, as one tends to do....