Your own signature bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by themickster, Oct 27, 2021.

1. themickster

themickster

Oct 4, 2015
    England
    What would you ask for, if you could have a signature of your own?

2. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    A jazz body with a precision neck. Black and maple. Passive. Body wood from some kind of tree. Bent steel bridge. TI jazz rounds.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2021
    nattiep, Andii Syckz, TMcMan and 15 others like this.
  3. A 24 fret version of a Reverend Mercalli with oil finished wood Swamp Ash body, Ovangkol neck. Rosewood or wenge fretboard.

Basically a combo of my Reverend and my Warwick.

Simple passive electronics like the Reverend. I should probably use my tone knobs and switches more, and think more about cool things to do there, but the only thing I ever do tbh is switch pickups. The rest of tone control is just in the fingers.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2021
  4. superdick2112

superdick2112 Mile High Bassist Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2010
    The Centennial State
    Fender Jazz with:
    • Alder body, med-heavy weight
    • Birdseye maple neck, satin finish on back
    • Maple board w/abalone block inlay, gloss finish
    • 70's pu spacing
    • Tom Brantley Geddy Lee spec pickups
    • Fender Am. Std. bridge
    • Lollipop machine heads
    • Chrome hardware
    • Red sparkle, silver sparkle or trans Blueburst finish options
    • Green G&G Tolex case w/black poodle interior

bigthemat, sdjfoh, 3bc and 4 others like this.
  5. Grinderman

Grinderman

Dec 21, 2013
    Los Angeles
    Like how Bill Nash signs them with a Sharpie marker?

I like that touch.

6. WillyW

WillyW l’art pour l’art, fonction de baise

Dec 10, 2019
    Top 3 choices… with fretted and fretless option. No ugly colours. Probably in pink and/or baby blue

BC Rich Eagle. iron bird headstock, single reverse P pickup

Gibson Non-Reverse with reverse headstock and single mid/neck pickup

Rickenbacker 4004 reverse headstock with whatever pickups are in them vol/blend/tone

mikewalker likes this.
  7. Bass4ThePublic

Bass4ThePublic Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2019
    Kansas City
    I’d have a couple

Fender Precision bass 1966 clone with a spitfire guard and SD Antiquity 2’s. Color options of 3TSB, burgundy mist, or tuxedo black.

Gibson SG bass painted in horizontal black and white stripes, 32” scale, emg gzr pjs and a darkglass preamp.

51 P bass in blonde but with a mudbucker in the bridge position.

Chickenwheels likes this.
  8. lug

lug Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    Neck-thru reverse headstock with an old Bartolini MMC, EMG preamp, and a BadAss bridge. It also has to be thicker than a standard bass.

9. mapleglo

mapleglo Gold Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2013
    phoenix, az
    This is my signature bass:

walnut5 copy.jpg

10. Texaspandj

Texaspandj

Feb 13, 2021
    Heart Of Texas
    IMG_20210804_111516_2~2.jpg This... except Gold sparkle and matching headstock.
    2001 MIA P-bass with a 2002 J-bass neck. Stack knobs-VT P-bass pickup and VT J-bass pickup.

mikewalker and Ghastly like this.
  11. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Hofner width nedck but 1-7/16" wide at the nut with lightweight Hofner style tuners, 22 mandolin frets, small offset contour slab body with either through body stringing or a small wood tailpiece, adjustable floating bridge and a dual rail Strat style humbucking neck pickup wired straight to the jack. Perfectly balanced but not to exceed 5 Lbs in weight.

I've already prototyped it using a Hofner Icon violin bass neck bolted to a Squier Bronco body modified to reduce weight. Weight of the bass is 4lbs 13oz.

kjp360, rutabaga bob and JRA like this.
  12. KohanMike

KohanMike Gold Supporting Member

I've done it with most of my basses, either custom, modified from existing bass ukes, or converted from junior guitars, all are under 24" scale.

Bass Collection.jpg

MynameisMe, Nashrakh, xbud and 8 others like this.
  13. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Experimental-psychedelic-ambient-noise-drone

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    A 4 string, 28,6" scale, bass, with a slim modern C profile, bolt on, 5 piece laminated Jatoba/Maple (just 2 relatively narrow layers of maple in between 3 wider layers of Jatoba) neck (or perhaps just a 2 piece Jatoba, the second piece being the tilted headstock joint), with graphite rods enforcement and a double action trussrod, a tilted 2+2, classic B.C Rich inspired, headstock, but overall slightly more narrow, and with the "devil horns" slightly shifted, so that the upper slightly larger "horn" is sitting a bit more forward than the slightly smaller and slightly retracted lower "horn", and a 24 medium jumbo stainless steel frets, 12" radius, figured Ebony, fretboard, with an ESP LTD F-204/F-1004 style inspired Mahogany body with a spalted maple top, in a transparent matte black burst finish, with a blood red solid circle figure with a black OM sign in the middle, placed approximately right above the bridge, and equipped with an EMG Geezer Butler reverse P pickup in the neck position, and in the bridge position a gold plated DiMarzio Relentless reverse P pickup with a gold plated series/parallel switch, with an active stacked LPF/HPF tone filter control for each of the 2 pickups, and an active pickup blend control, equipped with knobs made of solid transparent red plexi glass encapsulated in hollow gold plated cylinders with a thin spiraling gold rib going upwards around them, gold plated steel mono rail bridge pieces with a string spacing of 17,5mm (or perhaps instead even a wammy/tremolo bridge with 17,5mm string spacing), and an accordingly more narrow neck, with a 40mm wide graphite nut, but the neck not widening all that much as you get further up towards the bridge.

covermego and Philip McAdam like this.
  14. LowEndLobster

LowEndLobster Bass reviewer and youtube dude guy. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 29, 2003
    Northern MA
    Probably this ;P

Z5ULxxt.png

JEDI BASS, JC BASS 91, Murch and 22 others like this.
  15. TrevorG

TrevorG Gold Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2012
    U.K.
    24 fret, roasted, swamp ash PJ, maple board with block inlays, active/passive, through neck and built-in retractable mute. :)

16. Gaolee

Gaolee Official leathers tester and crash dummy

20210417_102212[2].jpg

17. Runlikegregg

Runlikegregg

Dec 31, 2011
    Brooklyn
    anything

18. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

I more or less have one of my own series. Worked with Kevin Brubaker and his electronics tech John Dahlman to come up with this design. The response was so good that now they are putting them into production for all to buy. I'm totally good w that! At least I own number 1 of the series.

Full details here:
    Just Got My U.S. Brubaker JXB v 2.0 Black Series - OMG (with video)!!!

received_2984179415173665.jpeg received_232908222118961.jpeg 20211006_114433.jpg 20211006_114558.jpg received_558271268773177.jpeg received_836253787036800.jpeg received_651777319037600.jpeg 20211006_114554.jpg

19. themickster

themickster

Oct 4, 2015
    England
    I didn't see that coming

seang15 and Quadzilla like this.
  20. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Me either quite frankly. Had some ideas for my personal build, now it's a series. I'm humbled.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 28, 2021