1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Your power amp & SansAmp RBI, RPM or VT rack

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Direct Box Rox, Oct 5, 2016.

1. Direct Box Rox

Direct Box Rox Silence = Deaf

Feb 12, 2012
    USA
    Anyone care to share their pics of their power amp and SansAmp rack unit? I'm not sure what the differences are between the RBI, RPM & VT...

2. Blues Bass 2

Blues Bass 2 Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2001
    Davenport Iowa
    Here's a pic of my old RBI and Crown CE1000 . Not a great picture but you can see it .

oldercamerapics029.jpg

Last edited: Oct 6, 2016
    JRA_BaSsNiNjA and Direct Box Rox like this.
  3. Peke

Peke

Jun 7, 2008
    Pargas, Finland
    Here's a pic of my RBI and Peavey IPR 1600 at the top of two TKS 112 cabs.

4. Grumry

Grumry

Jul 6, 2016
    Nashville
    Here's my janky rig of doom, with an ART MPA preamp, into a DBX266, through a Lexicon MX200 into the power amp section of this horrendous Behringer BX600.
    20160912_080305.jpg

Not what you wanted, but it's almost the same concept, if you like jumping through hoops.

Direct Box Rox likes this.
  5. Direct Box Rox

Feb 12, 2012
    USA
    Very cool. Thanks for sharing. Just out of curiosity, what made you choose the RBI vs the RPM or VT? Thanks.

6. Direct Box Rox

Feb 12, 2012
    USA
    Nice & thank you for sharing. I'll ask the same question; what made you choose the RBI over the RPM & VT rack units? Thanks.

7. Blues Bass 2

Blues Bass 2 Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2001
    Davenport Iowa
    When I got the RBI the RPM and the VT weren't out yet . The RBI was great , I played a ton of gigs with it and always got a great stage sound and all the sound guys I worked with liked the sound of it whether pre eq or post . I was always trying to get a Ampeg type of tone and after the RBI I went with an Ampeg SVPCL preamp so I didn't try the other two . If I were to pick either one I would go with the VT because it was made to sound sort of Ampeg like and that was what I was after . All of them are great preamps though , you can't go wrong with any of them .

8. Peke

Peke

Jun 7, 2008
    Pargas, Finland
    VT was not available at the time. Considered between the RBI and RPM for a while and ended up with RBI after reading a lot of threads about them right here in TB. Still considering to buy RPM too and run them parallel. More info about that available on this thread.

9. Peke

Peke

Jun 7, 2008
    Pargas, Finland
    I may add that if I have to make that choice today I would probably go with the VT...

10. UnicycleBassist

UnicycleBassist Commercial User

Jun 23, 2007
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Producer/Engineer (Clay Francis Audio), Sales Rep (Long & McQuade)
    RBI into Crest Pro-Lite 2. Bad camera compensated for with an unnecessary filter.
    Went with RBI due to availability. I wasn't seeking any particular 'flavour', just a flexible pre that I could use for jazz jams or for hardcore sets. I find the tone shaping options to cover any ground I need a preamp to cover, the rest coming down to pedals/pickups/play-style.

CuJhfQQVMAANmNS.jpg

11. kekani

kekani

May 13, 2015
    Kapolei
    Guess I'll throw a VTRM into a Crown XLS1500 bridged into my (non-spec ply) 12/6 cube.

I was looking for a cheap(er) tube pre because I had the extra Crown. BBE, SVP-pro &cl,Peavey, even Demeter & Alembic crawled onto the list, plus others. RPM was never in my sights, but the RBI was.

Then I researched the VTRM, and straight from the horse came basically "You can't really take the scoop out of the RBI to make it sound like a VTRM, but you make the VTRM sound like an RBI. Helped a LOT that one popped up used, for almost the price of a VTDI.

Am I still looking? Sure. I don't have the best rig, but for ME, it's hard to beat, particularly from a cost perspective.

Junk pic, but you get the gist.
    image.jpeg

Last edited: Oct 7, 2016
  12. Radio

Radio

Jan 8, 2010
    New Haven, CT
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2016
  13. Direct Box Rox

Feb 12, 2012
    USA
    Interesting, thank you. The only SansAmp I've ever had is the first version of the VT pedal. I would like a Darkglass but I refuse to spend that much $ on a pedal and/or preamp.

14. Direct Box Rox

Feb 12, 2012
    USA
    That Stewart amp looks mint. How old is it? Back in the 90's I saw one in Bass Player magazine (as part of someone famous rig) so I used to go into Bass NW in Seattle and bug them about getting Stewart amps.

15. Radio

Radio

Jan 8, 2010
    New Haven, CT
    I haven't researched the age yet; I just purchased it from another TBer last month. It is clean, but had one of the cooling fans in the central tunnel (where the power transistors are) hitting a piece of tape, which had dried out. Easy fix. I have a 1.2 as a back-up, too.

16. SiSoldier

SiSoldier Supporting Member

Oct 28, 2013
    Los Angeles

The rack set up was my 2014-2015 rig. I used the RPM for cleans and RBI for clank. Might have to go back to this rig as it sounded awesome into the 1001's power amp.

17. Radio

Radio

Jan 8, 2010
    New Haven, CT
    Curious how you switched between the two on the set. ABY box?

JRA_BaSsNiNjA likes this.
  18. SiSoldier

SiSoldier Supporting Member

Oct 28, 2013
    Los Angeles
    I ran them both always on, in parallel, into the return of the 1001. There is a thread on here that details how to run this set up. I later hooked them up with a basic channel switching pedal as shown on the Tech 21 manuals to switch between the two. IMO they sounded much better hooked up in parallel.

JRA_BaSsNiNjA likes this.
  19. Peke

Peke

Jun 7, 2008
    Pargas, Finland
  20. kartiste

kartiste

May 5, 2008
    Do you mind if I copy that rope-light thing?

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 18, 2021