1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Your preamp tube suggestions for an ART Tubepac

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Stinsok, Aug 4, 2007.

1. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    I used to have one with Phillips 12AU7's and I liked the sound. I have a new unit coming and want to try something new. I don't really need grind or grit. Just a nice warm tone. Maybe different a different type in each section?

2. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    The Tube Pac isn't a unit that really works a tube hard. So you could say that it doesn't show the fdifferences in tubes much - or that it sounds equally as good with the stock tube.

Those guys use a 12AT or maybe an AX IIRC. I would not be inclined to put an AU in as a replacement. That circuit is already clean as a whistle so going lower gain might run the risk of getting sterile.

Having said all that - I have a Chinese grey plate from Lord Valve that has become my goto 12 AX7 - I'm not sure if it's lack of hi's or maybe an excess of mid's ... whatever - it's just smoother and fatter than most.

I never had a chance to try that one in the last ART Tube Channel/PAC I had though.

3. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    I did have the chance to try EH 12AX7's in it, but they didn't stay in there a day. The difference was very noticeable. In this application they got really "grindy" when you pumped up the gain.