Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Your preferred cab match with the IAMP800- Sad 410 or Berg 322

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by djshawn47, Mar 14, 2006.

1. Your preferred cab match with the IAMP800- Sadowsky 410 or Berg 322

I am hearing good things about the IAMP / Sadowsky 410 match up. Has anyone A/Bd them with a Berg 322, if so your thoughts…..I am looking for the more versatile, one stop shop cab for every style of music you can think of.

Thanks

2. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    havent tried the iAMP w/ the Sadowsky cab, but FWIW, berg + EA = :bassist:

3. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    I think there's only a couple guys in the country right now with a lot of experience with the Sad cabs. Tombowlus and Cheezewiz are both "early adopters." I've only heard them powered by the Sadowsky SA200, and they are SWEEEET. That said, the bergie rocks, too. I think you'll find that the Sad's are a much more mid-forward cab, capable of being extremely aggressive. The Bergie, on the other hand is sweeter, and rounder. They are both designed and built by the same man, though (with Rogers help on the SA410). Perhaps you should give Jim Bergantino a call and see what he recommends.

4. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Excellent summary, Dan! :)

5. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    It didn't hurt that I got to play two of the Sads connected together. Talk about power!

6. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Probably depends on the type of music you're doing. I talked to Jim Bergantino regarding choosing between these two cabs for my needs, and we both agreed the Sadowsky was the way to go.

The Sadowsky is a bit more mid forward, and "rock voiced", while the HT322, Jim called a "great R and B" cab. I'd say if you are a slapper or do a lot of modern dance music, the 322 would be the way to go. If you are mainly a rock player, the Sad would be the way to go. I'd say in the end, you can't really lose. Those are two fabulous cabs.

7. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    hey i like 'em, too! :D

but lets look at this empirically...

if you like to futz and tweak the iAMP like a crazy joker like mofo, then the Berg's more relaxed voicing may do you better.

if you like plug in play, leave things relatively flat, and dont mess w/ the EQ all that much, and yet wanna punch a few holes in the clubs' back walls, then the Sadowsky sledge hammer is your choice.

8. Kurisu

Kurisu

Nov 19, 2003
    Saskatoon SK
    Has anyone else noticed that the SA410 is very directional? I think I could have killed small animals with precision at 200 yards.

9. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Hmmm... It doesn't appear overly directional to me. :confused:

10. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio

I've gigged with mine, and haven't noticed that either.

11. Kurisu

Kurisu

Nov 19, 2003
    Saskatoon SK
    It was probably the low volume and the room then - I felt that the SA410 pushed the noise out the front to a far greater degree than the mini stack did. With the mini stack the sound seemed to envelope the room. Does that make sense?
    For anyone reading this, I would trust the guys above over me, for sure. :) I only listened to them for a short time, and certianly not at high levels or at a gig. Sorry! :bag:

12. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio

Certainly no "sorry" needed! This is just what TB is for. Everyone sharing their individual experiences with gear.

13. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    what mini stack are you referring to?

and while i didnt think the sad's were too directional, they were definitely projecting. from across roger's demo room, i could feel the punch like i was standing right in front of the cab. just awesome.

14. Kurisu

Kurisu

Nov 19, 2003
    Saskatoon SK
    The Berg mini stack.
    Maybe that's what I should have said. :)

But now I'm obsessesd with comb filtering - has anyone noticed the sound drop off as they walk around the room?

15. Kurisu

Kurisu

Nov 19, 2003
    Saskatoon SK
    Hey joker, IIRC you've had a lot of experience with the Epi UL-410, right? Can you describe the difference? Is there one you prefer now, and if so why?