Your proudest bass-related moment

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by PanteraFan, Aug 16, 2001.

1. Hi fellas. I was just wondering about what your proudest bass-related moment was, whether it be a great deal on some gear, a cool line or song you wrote or whatever.

Mine just happened recently. Me and my band are jamming around, working on some ideas, nothing major. Then, we start to go into 'Smell's Like Teen Spirit', just so we keep each other on our toes when it comes to playing together. Anyway, we play it through, full version, I repeat the guitar solo on my bass, and we fade out.

Little did I know that another one of our friends was watching, and was severly impressed. So impressed in fact, that he took up guitar because of us!:D

I know, I know, it ain't bass, but this guy had no musical background and had never touched an instrument before, now he's asking me to take him gear shopping(always a good thing).

So come on, share people.

Nte to mod: I put this here because it ain't a gig story and it ain't humorous. Move it if you don't think it belongs.

2. I was absent from a performance. A week later, someone came up to me and said, "I was listening to the performance and something was missing. I realized you weren't there and now I know what the bass does".

Best compliment I ever got.

3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

One time, a friend of mine, who I had always kind of idolized because of his bass playing, told me 'You know what? My Dad's right. You're the best bassplayer that I have ever heard.'
  4. CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    The first day I used my Hartke HA4000 with the 410 cab, I actually made more noise than the guitar player (my brother) and he got really pissed off....... LOL
  5. ConTraBajisTa

ConTraBajisTa Guest

Oct 5, 2000
    auburn, ny
    i have two...
    the first was with my string bass (bouble bass), when i was in all county band, and we were rehearsing, and before the day-long practice, a jazz band (made up of these guys who were kinda old, but REALLY REALLY talented) came and was playing at our concert. so we got to hear them, and the bassist was SO AWESOME. i just sat there an watched in amazement, and kept telling my friend to watch what he does. he was a friendly old guy, just part of this little jazz band (i guess its the stereotype double bassist, old friendly guy that likes to make music, and you can just imagine his "old man laugh" and smile as he strums away at the bass), and he came to listen to us practice. i was the only string bassist (the only stringed instrument actually) and he sat down kind of near me and watched. and when the song was over, he gave an "old man chuckle" and clapped his hands and gave me thumbs up with this enormous smile, it was a big ego booster i guess =)
    at my very first gig (which was about 2 weeks ago) my band and i played at this graduation party, and after a set of songs we took our break, and the mother of the graduating daughter came up to me and said "everyone is really impressed with your playing! they say you are great, and what really surprises them is that you are a girl!" maybe it was the whole girl thing, but if they didn't like me, she wouldn't have said anything, right?
    yeah yeah, simple things amuse me.
  6. kicking my bass amp!
    i know it may sound stupid but it was my doorway to a future of rock n roll!:eek:
  7. downward spiral

downward spiral

Jul 20, 2001
    being 15 and a girl and being asked to play in a band of 17 and 19 year old guys that are good.
  8. Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2001
    Being at a large church worship music conference with music teams from many different churches playing at different times, and being told by the other bassists that I was the best. :) It's nice when the compliments are from fellow bassists...
  9. I just started taking the bass seriously not too long ago (about two years ago, playing it every day and whatnot) and just started lessons. I went in with the idea that I suck--and I do, nowhere near being good--but my teacher was giving me some nice compliments about my ability for having played such a short time.

Anyway, we started on reading music, and he played a line real quick and told me to try to match the rhythm. I'm pretty good about hearing something once and timing it in my head, but he went on and on for a bit about how I have great natural rhythm after we did a few more exercises. I take it as standard teacher trying to boost your confidence talk, but hey, I'll take whatever I can get at this point. :)

Also, I was playing in my dorm last year and a kid popped in and said I sounded pretty good. Seeing as how my room was situated right next to the study lounge, I think he was just trying to get me to shut the hell up! :rolleyes:

Edit: Removed a few words, added a paragraph.
  10. My grandfather was a professional musician, and tried to get me into it as a kid. I never took it very seriously until I started playing bass, around age 16, at which point I took it very seriously indeed. I forget exactly when, but when I was 17-19, I played through some pretty advanced stuff for him on the bass, and the look on his face was a clear highlight of my life. He died when I was 20, so that was one of the only things in my life I wasn't too late on!
  11. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    I remember once when I was walking somewhere with a friend of mine, which is a singer in my metal band, has played guitar for 12 years and drums for 11, and also plays bass, banjo, clarinet and I think he can play the piano. Anyway, he said that he got into jazz too late (we played jazz together twice) and I said I did too, didn´t start until I started playing when I was 14..And he said right away: You´ve only been playing for 3 years?? ...that was kinda kewl..
  12. How did it do that?
  13. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    The first time I played the pre-chorus and the verse to Under the Bridge - I was all alone in my room, but I threw my hands up in the air and said to myself "I am king of the world"... I know it's just a little victory, but hey I'm a beginer and it felt like a big deal and I was proud - tonight I'm going to work hard on the bridge and then the chorus and when I get the whole thing down I'm sure I'll really flip out...just don't post back how easy that song is and burst my bubble, M-kay.......
  14. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Remember, you asked.

I started playing bass more than 16 years ago. Same story as a lot of you guys. had a friend who played drums. He talked me into playing bass. So I bought one and started figuring it out.

After six months or so, I started playing in a heavy band. We played around the area for a few years. My college days got me hooked with a really good cover band that played everywhere and made killer money. I did that for a long time before moving on to R&B and a few other great gigs. All and all, I played out a lot for 7-8 years. Probably a 400-500 shows in all.

I got out of college, got married and got a decent day job. I kinda let up. Two kids got me so busy that there wasn't much time for trying to keep a band together. I was also very ready to give up the lifestyle that accompanied my gigging.

About two and a half years ago, I had the opportunity to begin playing with a Christian praise band.

This first time that I looked out accross the stage into the crowd and saw all of those people absorbed in the act of worshipping God, I was overwhelmed.

In developing my skills as a bass player, I had drug myself through more bars and puke parties than I can count. There wasn't anything out there that you can eat, smoke, snort or drink that I hadn't jumped right into as part of the drugs, sex and rock and roll experience. It is by God's plan that I survived it unscarred.

But as I witnessed the worship, I was overwhelmed that God had taken the product of my sins and was using for something Holy and pure. It was amazing.

Since then, I have played tons of dates for His glory. I still get a little bit of that feeling every time.

15. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    My slapping has been compared to Louis Johnson's.:D

Also, I had a lesson with Kai Eckhardt in which we played the tune "Memories of you". He played the melody while I provided a chordal accompaniment and he later told me he was impressed with my arrangement.
  16. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    After a week of owning my bass, and never having taken a lesson, or having any real history in music, but learning theory on my own, I played a G major scale. Very, very cool, to take something as abstract as a piece of wood with some metal strings and electronics, and create something musical out of it.
  17. Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2001
    Amen to that.

ISAIAH 38:20 The LORD will save me,
    and we will sing with stringed instruments
    all the days of our lives
    in the temple of the LORD.
  18. downward spiral

downward spiral

Jul 20, 2001
    that really does seem to be a big change.... I'm very into harcore music right now, metal and Ozzfest and all that stuff.
  19. Freakapotamus9

Jun 20, 2001
    i have several, ill start with the most recent.

i was in KC( annual trip ), at the Musicians Friend Outlet ( MAJOR DISAPPOINTMENT TO ME ), lookin for some deals. there was a guy playing around on an ampeg that i wanted to try out, so i walk up to him and ask him if i can use it when hes done. the guy, wasnt very good at bass, says to me, 'why so you can dink around and not buy it, beat it kid'. i laughed and went and looked at a Spector that caught my eye. i plugged it into a genz benz ( why Musicians F. had one of those is beyond me ) and started to play some stuff. the guy appologized for acting how he did and complimented me for being "that good at my age". :D

When my friend asked me if i wanted to start a band is another great one.

and finally, pretty much whenever people compliment me after a concert / school chapel. specially girls :D
  20. Kinda like Bobby Dylan in the eighties.