Your reccomendation please :)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by FuzzGtp, Jan 19, 2003.

1. FuzzGtp

Dec 28, 2002
    So im getting ready to drop about a grand on a new bass head. I have a crappy combo amp now, and i've been using it forever. it's definately time to upgrade, so it being tax time, im going to drop a lil' cash. So what bass head should i buy?

Things to keep in mind
    -I have a 8x10 ampeg cab crying for some use.
    -I play in a metal band.
    -I play alot of slap/pop, finger picking, and use a pick
    -Jackson bass
    -My sound is usually medium mid, and a mix of strong highs and lows.

p.s. I' found this site about a month ago, and i believe this is my first post. I just think this site owns, and i've been looking for soemthing like this forever. Not knowing any other bass players locally sucks! I really have noone to learn from except what i pick up on my own watching other people. But now i have a whole forum full of peeps(little yellow marsmellow birds, yes) that love this instrument as much as me :D
  2. Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    That's exactly what I thought when I found this place, especially since I'm out in the middle of nowhere :)
  3. Hi FuzzGtp. Welcome to the forum.

I am, in fact, also looking for a higher-end head and have decided to go with the Mesa Boogie 400+. I currently play through a Workingman's 4004 400 watt solid state head. A decent head, but I'm now ready to move up the ladder to a nice tube head.

You can do a search for any amp you like in this forum, and come up with TONS of useful info. That is one of the best things about this forum, is the fact that if you want to learn more about a certain product... chances are, there are plenty of people who have used it, and offer invaluable information about it.

Good luck in your search.

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    What about an Ampeg Pro series head? The SVT4Pro is a great head, with a TON of power! They sound great, and it would look great with your cab too.
  5. monkfill

Jan 1, 2003
    Kansas City
    That Ampeg 8x10 would just love to have a SVT sitting on it :D

I definitely recommend a tube amp for any sort of "loud" band. I saw this punk-type bad a few weeks ago. 3-piece, guitar/bass/drums. This guy had the loudest bass rig I've ever heard. Not necessarily in terms of volume, but just sheer overdriven (not full-out crunched, but very overdriven) raw power, and he alternated between fingerstyle and using a pick.

Even though I really don't play that style of music, that was one of the things that pushed me over the edge to finally get a tube amp (SVT-CL). There is no substitute for tubes.