Your recommendation re internet basslessons?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by KF2B, Jan 14, 2015.

1. KF2B

KF2B

Jan 28, 2013
    Finland
    Yes, I know - I should get a teacher in real life. I will. Meanwhile, lets talk about:

http://truefire.com/bass-guitar-lessons/bass-basics/

http://scottsbasslessons.com/

www.studybass.com

They are all good and know their stuff - no question about that. I´d like to know how they differ on their approach to teaching, hence in my case going through the motions within the students role. - What would you see as the main differences from the perspective of material, not the persons: the exercises, the progression and the emphases?

Which would you recommend/choose for yourself would you need internet study packets and why?

2. http://truefire.com/bass-guitar-lessons/bass-basics/
    Have not used this one, however, listening to the video it sounds like it would get you started on the right foot. No idea what it costs.

http://scottsbasslessons.com/
    Scott has over 100 videos for you to choose from. Little advanced. Good site to come back to after you have the basic stuff down. What basic stuff? How to hold the bass, how to get sound from it, how to mute some of the sustain, how to run your scales, chord tones, where the notes are on your fretboard, how to build a bass line, etc. Things like that.

www.studybass.com Of the three this I can vouch for as a starting off lesson site. And its free. I always add the book Bass Guitar for Dummies. Great get started book. The graphs, charts, etc. are second to none. Starts out with how to hold the bass, how to tune it, then advances in a logical order up to how to play songs. Here are a few pages;
    http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/bass-guitar-for-dummies-cheat-sheet.html

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-to-create-a-walking-bass-line.html

Good luck.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2015
  3. Even as a professional bass player and classically trained instrumental teacher, I like Scott's videos, but remember that he is really aiming at the more experienced player. As you said yourself, you're much better off getting a real teacher to install reading and technique - The rest you gradually develop yourself via playing and gaining experience.

4. GKon

GKon Supporting Member, Boom-Chicka-Boom

Feb 17, 2013
    Albuquerque, NM

I've never used the truefire site, so I don't know.

I used studybass for a while. It was good, basic, great place to start. Lots of reading, as the material is in text format.

I then used scottsbasslessons. Excellent teacher who quite obviously loves what he does and spends a lot of time to help you
    love it to. I liked that it was in video format because I could listen to the vid, similar to having a teacher talk to me, and then
    play along as he was talking. I learned good things from that site, but was looking for something similar but with a more linear approach
    as in Step 1, followed by Step 2, etc. Scottsbasslessons is somewhat set up like that, but not exactly what I wanted.

I then found, and have been using for quite a while now

www.talkingbass.net

The quality of info is great, the teacher (Mark) is clear and concise, knows what he's talking about, the lessons are in video format and always have a
    downloadable file that follows along to the video lesson, so you can download for later reference. And, most importantly
    for me, they are in a linear format. Lesson 1, followed by Lesson 2, etc.
    Check it out. I'm glad I did.

WannabeBassman likes this.
  5. fearceol

fearceol

Nov 14, 2006
    Ireland
    Of the sites you mentioned I would choose "Studybass" or "Talkingbass.net" mainly because the lessons start basic and build on what went before.

However IMO it would be much more beneficial to take a few lessons face to face with a teacher.

6. Scotts Bass lessons SBL is the best bass instructional site on the internet, in my opinion. He has more than just the 100 videos. He also has three new multiple hour workshops on technique, scales, maintenance and repair, and soon to be an 8 hour course on chords that take you from square one. He also does live chats with students bi-weekly, will do live critiques of videos you send him, and also has workshops with other bassists like Anthony Wellington and Steve Lawson. Plus, he has hours and hours of backing tracks to play with. It is also the best deal; $14 bucks a month, with a free trial as well. No I am not affiliated to him in any way, it is just a great deal for access to a ton of knowledge.

7. bigfatbass

bigfatbass Inactive

Jun 30, 2003
    Upstate NY
    Endorsing Artist: Karl Hoyt Basses
    MarloweDK, an internet bass legend, has started putting up beginning lesson programs to add to his formidable catalog of play-alongs. He is a RIDICULOUS player, with chops and feel the likes of which most players can only dream. He is also a cool guy, and really loves getting other people into it as much as he is. This is just a play along, but I can never get over what a freakin' badass he is.

8. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    New England
    Scott Devine
    Malowe DK

9. GastonD

GastonD

Nov 18, 2013
    Belgrade, Serbia
    Of those suggested by the original poster, I recommend going through the studybass first, and then move to Scott's place.
    I did try the Truefire...if you were a guitar player, I'd recommend them in a heartbeat. They do offer some good bass programs, but not nearly as encompassing as Scott. HOWEVER - if your only concern is the early stage of development, Stu Hamm's program beats Scott's basic course IMHO. Then again, right after, Scott's courses are better conceived than those on Truefire (although I loved Kai Eckhardt's intervals course).

10. Big Hoss

Big Hoss Up note, down note, blue note, brown note...

No new suggestions here aside from a hearty recommendation for Andrew Pouska's studybass site... He was my bass instructor before I stopped playing way back when... I will be digging his number up soon to get back into lessons...

11. Govner22

Govner22

Jan 19, 2013
    I use Studybass, MarloweDK and Scott Devine for different reasons. Studybass is essential for music theory, focusing on chord tones over scales and many other topics, while Marlowe is great for important topics like showing how to use pentatonic scales in different positions to get a different sound from the same notes. Scott has a lesson for virtually any topic like proper length of the strap, etc. Studybass is the most essential for me but I rely heavily on the other two for specific topics. Good luck!

12. Joelc73

Joelc73

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    Scott's bass lessons is fantastic. The other site that I think is really amazing is Tony Grey's Bass Academy. Not as easy to navigate as SBL, but the content is incredibly good.

13. Kmrumedy

Kmrumedy

May 12, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
  14. Kmrumedy

Kmrumedy

May 12, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    The BEST bang for buck is Tony Grey's book. It provides a huge selection of info at 300 pages and a DVD under $20! It has much of his online stuff in it. Just amazing piece of work.

15. +1 his lessons and especially the (jazz) courses are excellent and educationally very well designed. It is a comprehensive bass education (there is also second year with different courses) and the material and exercises can be quiet demanding. The direct link to his video lessons site is this one --> http://www.joehubbardbassvideos.com/

Most of the sites offer a few free lessons. When I looked around for video lessons I took a few test lessons from different sites to see what suits me best. In the end I signed up to Joe's site and I am glad I did. YMMV.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2015
  16. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 17, 2021