1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Your recommendations: instructional DVDs/videos

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by rymix, Mar 22, 2006.

1. rymix

rymix

Mar 14, 2006
    Hi all,

I have plenty of instructional books and CDs, but the only instructional DVD in my collection is the ubiquitous Flea - Bass Jamming & Techniques.

My bag is very much in the funk genre, or anything that has groove :D

I want to _see_ my idols in action, but I simply don't know who has recorded instructional videos, or where to purchase them from in the UK.

Also, I would be interested in what you all regard as essential viewing so far as live/concert recordings go.

I wondered if anyone had any recommendations and tips as to where I can buy these elusive recordings. I had a quick search through this forum and couldn't find what I was looking for, but apologies if I missed it.

Thanks for your help!

2. ryco

ryco

Apr 24, 2005
    http://elderly.com/videos/items/25-DVD320476.htm

Google is your friend.

This is an instructional dvd - no concert footage. S'fun to watch! Always figgered this guy would be more ... how should I say ... overly serious. But he's not. Very folksy and funny, at least IMVHO.

Also Victor Wooten and Steve Bailey have a couple of instruction dvds out.

hope this helps! peace out, -Ryco <%+

3. zazz

zazz

Feb 27, 2004
    Cebu
    groove..well jaco modern bass is essential and i got mine from hmv.

4. Mr.Phil

Mr.Phil

Apr 9, 2005
    Upstate NY
    There's a good video of Curtis Mayfield live in the early 90's. I can't remember who the bass player is but he had excellant tone/technique.

5. rymix

rymix

Mar 14, 2006
    Thanks for the tips everyone.

I'm deffy getting that Louis Johnson vid :D I take it this Google Video clip is taken from his tutorial:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-355292135018382746&q=bass

If so, I hope the DVD comes packaged with some giant comedy glasses, just for authenticity.

And Jaco...why on earth didn't I know he'd made an instructional video? Play.com says it will be arriving on my doorstep some time tomorrow :bassist: