Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Your Recommended Bassplayer-Oriented Live in Concert DVDs

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by gfab333, Jan 1, 2003.

1. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Looking for suggestions on what to add to my collection. Right now, it seems the Marcus Miller In Concert DVD tops the list. Also have:

Mark King - In Concert (formerly from Level 42)
    Average White Band - Tonite: In Concert. great R & B grooves.
    Earth Wind & Fire - Live (1995 release by Image Entertainment) Verdine kicks butt.
    If you like contemporary latin music, try the Luis Miguel - En Vivo live in concert DVD. Some mexican guy is burning up some nice grooves on fretted and fretless Ken Smiths.

Still looking for some suggestions for the jazz genre. I'm going to check out the Lee Ritnour DVDs.

2. Dave Mathews Band live in Colorado is good.. Awsome stuff

3. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Joni Mitchell-Shadows & Light

Woodstock Jazz Festival...as I've mentioned earlier & often-
    Miroslav Vitous takes a bad ass bowed bass solo.
    Anthony Braxton blows his brains out on "Impressions".

Steely Dan-The Making Of Aja is also good...Chuck Rainey talks about his mindset for coming up with those classic lines.

Question: I think I've seen that AWB DVD in the store; I balked 'cause it's not what I would call the 'vintage band'...is your DVD a concert from the '90s?

4. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    The AWB DVD title "Tonite: Average White Band In Concert" is a 2001 House of Blues concert. If you like the band, you'll really like this DVD. It's got all the hits. The sound and video quality is good.

No Marcus type solos here, but listening to the grooves between the bass and drums on all those old AWB tunes are worth the DVD.

They have new members that do a good job of copping the original members vocal and instrumental parts (you know, like how Chicago's Scheff can do Cetera's vocals). Also includes back stage interviews with original and new members.

5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

As Jim said - to me it's not AWB without Hamish Stuart and Alan Gorrie - so Hamish - the distictive falsetto voice of AWB, is leading his own small Jazz/Soul group and playing in London venues?

Try this ink :

http://www.compassrecords.com/stuart.htm

6. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Fred Hammond & Radical for Christ: Purpose By Design starts out with Fred banging out a sweet 2 minute solo on a 6 string flame maple Ken Smith.

The rest of the concert has Maurice Fitzgerald rockin' with a Peavey Cirrus 5. The performance of the whole band and choir is super-tight.

Victor Wooten: Live At Bass Day 1998 Vintage Victor chopfest, with some really good pointers.

Peace,

James

7. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    <b>Joe Satriani - Live in San Francisco</b>
    - has Stu Hamm in it.

<b>Niacin - Blood, Sweat & Beers</b>
    - Billy Sheehan, need I say more?

<b>The Who & Special Guests - Live At The Royal Albert Hall</b>
    - Oxfest

8. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Thanks, Bruce. That's my opinion, too.
    I do have ALL the AWB discs...that includes the most recent stuff(I think the last thing was a LIVE album I bought off their site).
    I wish someone would re-do/re-master those old In Concert shows from the '70s. AWB was featured on one of those...I also recall AWB doing one of those Dick Clark Rockin' New Years' Eve telecasts.

**EDIT**
    I just clicked on Bruce's link. That's what I'm talking about; Stuart's new band isn't really about "nostalgia". Personally, I not that into hearing some of my favourites from yesteryear playing their hits with 'new members' who can cop the parts.

I think I'm gonna pick up the director's cut of Woodstock today...

Anyone have the recent Flecktones' Live At The Quick?
    Or how 'bout Hendrix & The Band Of Gypsies @The Fillmore?

9. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Have you checked out the DVD?

Gorrie sounds great with his Fender JD5 (and still sounds like himself) and on guitar, the sax player is probably the best who's played with them and the drummer is tight as heck (as much as I like Steve Ferrone, this kid was nice. I think he worked with Scofield on one CD). Onnie is on top of his game. The "new" bassist/keyboard/lead vocalist does a very good job IMO and yes, he's not Hamish.

It's a pared down version of the group that sounds very good IMO. I recommend it highly.

Kool and the Gang's live CD is a monster. As usual don't expect pyrotechnics from Kool. That's never been what they were about. This time they have a killer 6(?) piece horn section, several keyboards, guitars, lead and background vocalists and even two drummers. They sound massive.

John Fogerty's live CD with Bob Glaub on bass is also a killer.

10. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2000
    Colorado
    I just received Herbie Hancock's Future2Future for Christmas. Matt Garrison is amazing on this DVD.

11. Bruce Lindfield

Yes - that's what I meant - I'd rather spend my money supporting artists who are doing something new/different, than pay out, just to keep the nostalgia going.

So before buying this DVD I would rather support Hamish Stuart and I will definitely try to go to his next gigs in the South East or London.

I was just thinking that most of the CDs I bought this year were of people who I actually saw live this year, doing something that caught my interest.

I really hope the live scene doesn't just become nostalgia and tribute bands. :(

12. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Yes, those 1970s In Concert shows were great. I think they were produced by a guy named Don Kerschner. Too bad they can't put those on DVDs.

13. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    No, I haven't checked it out...don't think the local Blockbuster is carrying it. ;)

I did buy Woodstock today(Janis is belting it out behind me)...I like it! I'm now considering Hendrix @The Fillmore.
    Anyway, I did pick up & look at the AWB DVD.

Brad-
    Who's the horn player? He's the 'best' that's played with AWB?
    (Remember, Mike Brecker has played with these guys). ;)
    I dunno, Bruce; Brad recommends it...now I'm tempted.

I wouldn't mind eventually pickin' up Hancock's Future To Future; DJ Disk is on this one, right? I have a Laswell album(Charged Live) where he just rips. A 'turntablist' can be a musician! ;)
    ...another decent one I've heard about is In Concert with Hancock/Holland/Metheny/DeJohnette

14. watspan

watspan Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    Future to Future is dynamite! Matt Garrison is superb.

I don't recommend Hancock/Metheny etc. but then, i'm not a pat metheny fan. This disk has an "old" feel to it, low production values and mediocre sound

I would recommend Herbie Hancock from the BET Jazz series--great DTS sound, Terri Lynne Carrington on drums, high production value--the percussionist can get a little old, but definitely better than Hancock/Metheny.

Another jazz dvd to consider is Chick Corea's Tribute to Bud Powell. Also CALLE 54 is great if you like latin jazz

15. Bruce Lindfield

Yeah - I've got this one and it is great to see Dave Holland in such company - I think it is a must-have if you are a Holland fan!

It is very much a straight ahead Jazz set and I like it for that - it is the sort of music I go to see every week at Jazz clubs.

Whereas Metheny's own shows are a bit "overblown" for my tastes!! ;)

16. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings

17. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Josh,

Good call. I have this one too. Rave Unto The Joy Fantastic It is pretty sweet.

Peace,

James

18. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I'm allowing for different musical tastes here, but I gotta say the AWB DVD is great even with the non-original personnel. If you derive any enjoyment out of hearing a tight drum and bass groove with cool breaks, you will enjoy this DVD.

I bought it at the local Borders book store. Tower Records also carries it.

19. I couldn't agree more!

Also, there's not much video of him, but John Myung in Metropolis 2000: Scenes from New York, he sounds darn good.

and Iron Maiden - Rock in Rio is quite excellent as well!

20. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Brad-
    I heard the same about the CD version of F2F...on the other hand, I've heard some good things about the DVD(I ordered it. What the Hell, I just got this DVD player...gotta use it! And I do recommend the wide-screen/extra footage version of The Fellowship Of The Ring. If you're into that stuff).

Our local store here does have the AWB DVD sittin' there like an orphan; maybe next week! ;)

(I'm not ignoring you gfab; I hear you, too). ;)