Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

your ride?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [DB]' started by gee, May 2, 2002.

1. gee

gee

Nov 16, 2001
    hang gang. just curious to see what y'all drive, if you're a gigging DB'er. i recently crashed my VW GOLF (with the seat down, the bass fit nicely, although the headstock seemed to want to shift all the time).

so what's everyone carry their doghouses around in? i'm looking for a new set of wheels, and am looking for some feedback. as small as possible, but "big enough for the bass" is what i'm going by, so far.

gee
    grooviemoves@hotmail.com

2. Toyota Corolla:

Move passenger seat as far forward as it will go, but remove headrest and fully recline seat. The Bass lays on the seat with its scroll in the footwell, and its end-pin facing the rear of the car. The neck and the scroll aren't touching anything, so all the weight of The Bass is on its back. I fasten the seat-belt across the bass to stop it sliding forwards. This method works for three-quarter sized basses - I don't know how it would be for larger basses.

- Wil

PS: If it's sunny, I put a couple of large white towels over The Bass to stop it getting hot in the car (black case getting very HOT = very BAD for The Bass)

3. 1995 Saturn wagon

Has split fold-down rear seats. With one seat folded, I can haul my 7/8 bass (on its side), my large-ish combo amp and 2 passengers. Fold down both, and I can give the a guitarist and his rig a ride to the gig.

I don't no give rides to drummers, though. :p

4. lermgalieu

lermgalieu Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    I recently inherited a Toyota Forerunner SR-5 from my wife. Obviously this fits my bass, but it doesn't fit it as nicely as my old car, a 1990 Suburau Legacy Wagon. But if you are looking for small, I am told you can fit a 3/4 size bass in a VW bug with the passenger seat removed ;-)

5. Monte

Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    I went through this during winter. Since I started playing in '92, I hauled around my bass in a '92 Dodge Hatchback. I replaced it with a 2000 Ford Explorer Sport. With the 5-speed. I get 23 mpg, and it fits much better.

At the risk of offending people, here are some observations about bassists and their cars. Some seem to have this perverse pleasure from getting their bass in the smallest vehicle possible. After doing that for 10 years, I have no desire to ever do it again. You can fit a bass in about any vehicle if you try, but why make it harder than it has to be. Wagons or small SUV's get decent mileage, and it is much easier and safer. Basses in front seats or hanging over a seat like mine did obstruct a view, and that can be dangerous. I feel much safer with mine in the back out of harms way. I'm not saying you have to get a huge Excursion or Suburban, but consider something appropriate. You CAN haul a bass in a small passenger car, but can you see out the side mirror?

Monte

6. Andrew_S.

Andrew_S.

Jul 24, 2001
    Flagstaff, AZ
    '84 GMC pickup with a 350... no problemo! :)

7. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    In the old bugs you don't need to take out the seat. Here's the way to do it.

If it's a newer bug (after 66, I think) that have the tall seats with the head rests built it, it's a little more involved. Fold down the back seat and slide the bass in body first. You might have to tilt the passenger seat forward. I don't remember this detail now.

Now, the tall seat method. On mine I removed the spring that holds down the adjusting lever (for sliding the seat back and forth) on the passenger seat so as to make life easier. Slide the seat all the way back and tilt the seat forward. Insert bass as described above. Your GK MB200 will fit between the shoulder and the rear side window. Slide the seat back forward and tilt back to its original position. If you have a passenger along, remember to reach down and secure the seat from sliding by engaging the adjusting lever. Take out the endpin if you don't have a rubber foot or else you'll poke a whole in the fabric at the back of your car. In flat windshielded bugs, your average bass will have a couple of inches of clearance, round windowed (Super Beetles, for those in the know) have tons of clearance.

On the new bugs, you can either recline the passenger seat and lay your bass on its side ala your average Japanese ride, or lay down the back seat and put it in the hatch back with the neck jutting out between the front seats.

8. Jeff Bollbach

Jeff Bollbach Jeff Bollbach Luthier, Inc.

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
    You all will probably not believe this but Paul Nowinski and I were able to get three 3/4 basses in his Saab with nothing hanging out the windows.

9. vanderbrook

vanderbrook Some days, I miss frets... Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2001
    Denver, CO, USA
    Back in the 20th century, I used to get my Englehardt into my Celica coupe (on its side, on the mostly-reclined passenger seat).

When I got back into playing in August of last year, I had a Ford Mustang GT. (That car was a musical instrument in its own right.) Because the passenger seat barely reclined, I found no way to get The Bass into it (leastways, not so's it would ride safely). Solution? 2002 Subaru WRX Sport Wagon. As fast as the 'Stang, plus all-wheel drive (gotta get to those dead-of-winter gigs, too) and room for The Bass, the amp, the music stand, the stool, and the case with the fake books, preamp and cables. (Even room for the practice amp, to be driven off the main amp and pointed at the deaf drummer!) Too bad it doesn't sing with the same voice the 'Stang's V8 did...

10. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Just last night I hauled the following to a gig in my '97 Honda Civic hatchback:

3/4 Realbass
    Ken Smith 6-string Plank
    Clarus/1x8 homemade Combo
    Euphonics Audio CXL 112
    Stool (not folding)
    Amp stand
    Folding dolly

I'm trying to scheme on how to add my Bag End 1x15 into the mix for when my original group (In which I double...see above) plays outdoor gigs or really large/loud rooms. Suggestions, anyone?

11. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    An often overlooked space is the floor of the passenger seat.

Currently I have a Mazda Protege that I call the 'Mazda Curse'. Recommend one to your enemies. I get my 7/8 in the passenger seat, but it takes some practice to get the angles just right to get it in the door and past the Samurai Suicide auto shoulder belts. A 3/4 slides right in.

While proof reading, I noticed the straight line that I just gave you guys. Have at.

12. Blux

Blux

Feb 5, 2002
    Philadelphia, Pa.
  13. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

I wouldn't know anything about that. :)

14. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    2002 Nissan Frontier truck or 1999 Subaru Forester. I did the hatchback thing for years; this is way better.

15. Gave up the stang Vanderbrook?:eek:

2 door Tahoe-loud-ass pipes-can haul real bass,real amp, bass geetar, real guitar (Gibson ES 135 oh yea) 68' Fender Twin,(I have been spending more time on guitar than bass lately) powered pa speakers, mixing board,speaker stands, motocross gear, wife and dog, pull my new CR 250 motocross bike on trailer for away gigs near a track,or throw all the above in the enclosed trailer (excluding:wife,dog,real bass) and bring more people and the big ass pa.... try that with a hatchback;)

16. I drive 68 Firebird its realy nice!!!!!!!

i love it

17. olivier

olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    I went to the car dealer and told him that the car had to pass "the bass test" before I could make my mind.

It's a big Citroen Picasso. But the my old compact Peugeot 205 "Junior", with foldable rear sit, takes us to the gig, no problem.

18. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    I use this - it can get me, my upright, my electric, and my rig to the gig. Plus I can put my daughter in her car seat and take her to the babysitter's on the way there.

[​IMG]

19. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    One of the coolest setups I've seen belongs to this guy who plays DB in the Maui Symphony. He has an old Volvo P1800, the sport wagon, in very nice shape. He never uses an amp, so he has only the bass to transport. So he cut a big foam insert to exactly fit the space in the back, cut out the outline of the bass, and covered the whole thing with soft fabric. The bass, in its bag, just drops into the hole. Looks like a factory job.