1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Your right hand

Discussion in 'Ask Janek Gwizdala' started by Twistad, Aug 27, 2007.

1. Hi Janek,

I've been watching your videos on youtube for a while, and I couldn't help but notice the way you pluck the strings with your right hand, you get amazing speed and control with what seem like only 2 fingers.

I sometimes get the impression that you don't rest your fingers on the strings when playing (I think "free strokes" is the term used for this), especially when going into the higher area of the neck. Could you possibly talk about this please?

I am mostly referring to the soundcheck vid you posted at the 40 second mark. You also seem to do this on the latest podcast (which was amazing btw, I literally had to pick up my jaw of the floor after hearing you play over that loop) at 4 min 19. It sounds like you are sweeping, but yet you don't seem to use any special technique except for your 2 fingers. Do you favour strict alternation or do you prefer to employ raking when doing these kinds of motifs?

Also, I noticed that your right hand comes at an unusual angle on the body of your bass, as opposed to having your hand angled directly over the strings, you almost play horizontally over the strings if that makes any sense. Is there a reason for that, or is that something that just came naturally?

Anyway, thanks for answering

2. janekbass

janekbass

Jan 28, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Founder and CEO of http://bassstudio.janekgwizdala.com
    hi, thanks for your thread.

I am using mainly two fingers in the right hand. I'm not sure about the raking thing, the point of reference you gave from the web were ascending figures as far as I can tell, so you wouldn't really rake going up the instrument, only coming down. Which I'm also not sure I really do. I would have to tape some things, and then really check it out.

My whole approach is based around economy of movement, so the fact that you're mentioning me not really resting on the strings has a lot to do with that. If my hands are static on the strings, or stuck to them, I have to bring them off to play the next note. So the more fluid I can be with the rest stroke the better. Although it's actually very little rest stroke, and more hammering on that makes it sound fluid.

you have me going back to check my own videos because haven't noticed half the things you mentioned.....!!! not sure what you're talking about with the angle of my hand... and I'm sure it came naturally...

Hope this answers some of your questions.

Easy,

Janek