Your Rig's Too Big!

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by Ox Boris, Nov 3, 2016.

1. Ox Boris

Ox Boris Inactive

Nov 23, 2015
    Australia
    I like to gig with my full rig. I like the way it sounds, the way it looks, the way it's tall enough to hang my Bass off, the way I don't need to turn it up above half and only ever have to dig in for tone, not volume.

So what's going on in the head of someone who looks at me askance and says, irritably, "it's too much, you don't need it!" He's definitely sure I'm a wanker on that particular question.

If you, too, are deeply disturbed by what I'll freely agree is overkill, explain it to me so that I may soothe the old git before he has a heart attack.

My rig's nothing spectacular, I just bring both cabs where clearly one or the other would be more than enough.

carsbybigd likes this.
  2. MCS4

MCS4 Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2012
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Before you start playing, they might be concerned that your big rig suggests that you will play too loudly.

If you do not play too loudly, and they still have a problem with your rig, then they are just a jerk.

3. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    It depends ... if the drummer can't get his kit on stage, or the singer can't move, or the keyboardist is getting stabbed in the back by your bass's neck, yes, your rig is too big. If two guys need to heft those cabs up to the 75-seat 2nd floor (or basement) club/venue/bar, your rig is too big. If you can't fit the monitors into the van because you brought your whole rig when a single cab would have worked just as well, your rig is too big. However, the issue of stage volume is easily remedied, as the previous poster says.

Personally, I size my rig according to the gig at hand. Anywhere from my little MB200/STL-8 rig to my Shuttle 6.0 and two STL-12. If more is required I go to FOH.

d-dave, etherealme, the yeti and 5 others like this.
  4. Geri O

Geri O Endorsing Artist, Mike Lull Guitars and Basses Gold Supporting Member

Sep 6, 2013
    Florence, MS
    What is your rig, for no other reason the curiosity?

My SVT on 5 is pretty ridiculous. But that thing seldom goes out because (a) it kills me getting it and out of the house and the truck...:roflmao: and (b) it's seldom ever needed.

But ASSuming your volume is reasonable, I say bring the rig you want. If I get something like that, I just smile and say "can't hear you"...:D

Ox Boris likes this.
  5. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    It might be helpful if you told us exactly what rig you're talking about...

That said, most experienced musicians are going to cast a jaundiced eye on any "wanker" that drags a double stack into a small bar gig. It's the same look we would give a guitarist that shows up with a double, or a drummer that shows up with a double bass drum rack kit.

6. Ox Boris

Ox Boris Inactive

Nov 23, 2015
    Australia
    Thanks for the possible problems. I'm not guilty of any, though. My cabs stack on one another, so there's no increase in footprint. Your point about the two guys is definitely is a potential disadvantage, if someone grabs one of my cabs before I get it on the trolley. I'll have to look out for that. We haul our own gear to the gigs, which are all local.

7. Ox Boris

Ox Boris Inactive

Nov 23, 2015
    Australia
    Trust me, it's not worth mentioning it.
    The same? Man. I figured the one thing Bassists might have going for them is the taking for granted that their stuff is bigger :)

8. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    Tell the wanker that the bottom cab is not plugged in?

9. guy n. cognito

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    I'm failing to grasp why you can't tell us the rig. It would help us understand the situation.

Sometimes our stuff is bigger, which is why my example included a guitarist bringing in a "double stack" which is typically considered dual 4-12 cabinets. That rig would be grossly oversized for a bar gig, just like yours may be oversized for the gig in question.

Of course, it's hard to give you any meaningful advice without detail.

RichSnyder and mr15x3 like this.
  10. guy n. cognito

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    IMG_5050.JPG

Without detail, we are all assuming you showed up at a coffee shop gig with this...

11. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Light travels faster than sound... From the proprietor and audience perspective, appearances do matter... Seeing as normally they are paying the freight, it doesn't hurt to look 'pro'. If your guitarist is playing through a half stack, then maybe your rig looks right. If he's using something small maybe your stage setup looks oddly out of proportion...

The other thought I have is that with your rig higher than everyone else, maybe what sounds good to you isn't helping the other guys here their own amps well... Though if you did that with me, I would ask you to turn down. It's a team sport man, ask your band mates what the deal is...

That said, in the early 70's I was a member of the union local. With a last name of Brown, I was also the firs bass player in the book. So I got 'out of the blue' calls pretty often. I'd show up to a polka band gig at the local Moose lodge with my SVT and pbass and hair... And get the look... End of the night I'd get smiles and paid as I knew to stay in the envelope. A keyboard player, band leader reminded me about the light vs sound thing back the. And suggested maybe I could try to fit in a little ... That band worked a lot so I did.

Personally at this stage of the game, I go as small as I can and remain happy tonally.

Jeff Bonny, rllefebv and Ox Boris like this.
  12. Ox Boris

Ox Boris Inactive

Nov 23, 2015
    Australia
    I definitely think my rig is the best looking one I've seen among my peers.
    There's no complaint about the sound. Just the fact that it's there irritates him :). It doesn't help that when he says it's totally unnecessary, I totally agree with him!

4StringDave likes this.
  13. Bassmann79

Bassmann79

Mar 7, 2015
    You are like the Benjy Bronk of Talkbass. Unable to directly answer a question...christ we are in the Benjy Vortex on talkbass.....ahhhhhh!

14. Ox Boris

Ox Boris Inactive

Nov 23, 2015
    Australia
    Rig.
    It's a PF500+PF115HE+PF410HLF and I stack the 15 on top.
    See? Derail. Several people have just actually exploded.
    I don't care what anybody says, it sounds fantastic, the only comments I get about the sound are positive. Just imagine that Australia is upside down and everything works backwards here and breathe into a bag. Honestly, it's not worth it.

15. moonbass-de

moonbass-de Supporting Member

Aug 28, 2007
    Minnesota
    After light portable Class D driven rigs I switched to conventional amp and 810 and never looked back - hate single 12 guitar combos for their thin sound, prefer guitar can keep up with me....not the other way around. But if it is jazz, folk or world music I see where the "rig too big" statement is coming from...

d-dave and Ox Boris like this.
  16. Biggbass

Biggbass

Dec 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    Personally I don't like to have to bend over to adjust a knob!

17. Ox Boris

Ox Boris Inactive

Nov 23, 2015
    Australia
    Years from now, you'll tell your grand-kids this story and, through the tears, you'll use the phrase, "He tried to save us! But we didn't listen...Then the machines came..."

18. gelinas666

gelinas666 Guest

Sep 8, 2009
    I use a 8/10" fridge cab with various heads,(Ampeg,Mesa,TC Electronic etc..Depending on what I'm trying too accomplish for the show soundwise),and it has never done me wrong.. Too Big they say,but when they hear it and they realize I have a volume control on it ,compliments on the tone and how it sits in the mix is what I hear then.. As for moving it,that's what drummers are for!Lol! I help him with his drum hardware and he gives me a hand with The Fridge .. All good and the show goes on!☝

19. guy n. cognito

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    How is this possibly a derail? That's a decent sized rig, but not the biggest on the market. Now, how big was this venue?

DirtDog likes this.
  20. monsterthompson

monsterthompson The Eighth Note Wonder Of The World Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Hollywood
    TB 101 says wearing shorts to a gig is bad form. Think of bringing a big rig to a small gig along the same lines. Dress for the occasion, dress for success.
    (MSRP. YMMV. Symptoms may include, itching, mild intestinal discomfort, and restless leg syndrome.)

Jason Hollar, JFOC, ExaltBass and 3 others like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 15, 2021