Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Your role in the band?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by FretNoMore, Feb 27, 2002.

1. Bass player

16 vote(s)
    28.1%
  2. Bass + PA owner/sound guy

7 vote(s)
    12.3%
  3. Bass + Manager

2 vote(s)
    3.5%
  4. Bass + Manager + Driver/transport owner

1 vote(s)
    1.8%
  5. Bass + PA + Driver

2 vote(s)
    3.5%
  6. Bass + PA + Driver + Manager

3 vote(s)
    5.3%
  7. All of the above + the song writer

4 vote(s)
    7.0%
  8. Other multiple roll (please specify)

15 vote(s)
    26.3%
  9. Man, not you and a poll again... :)

7 vote(s)
    12.3%
  1. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    There is a myth that says the bass player is the organized person in a band (as opposed to lead singers and lead guitarists, not to mentioned the popular myth about the drummer...:) )

Is it true that the bass player is often the person that holds the band together with all things practical?

What's your roll in your band?

2. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Buttered.

:D

3. bassplayer / organiser / guy with the biggest car

4. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    Othher multiple roll here. For my current band [little debbie's secret] i'm actually the lead guitarist/lead bassist [bass lead essentially], teach the other bassist HOW to play the parts, 1/2 of the songwriting, & i'll be the first one to drive. :D thats all

5. I'm the bass player, organizer, and basically the "ghost" frontman (I am not officially the leader of the band, but I take the roll and act it anyway :rolleyes: ).
    In similarity to AllodoX's response....I'm also the guy with the biggest basement and drum set. ;) :D

EDIT: Those damn smilies...;)

6. kaboom133

kaboom133

Oct 19, 2001
    Latrobe PA
    i am the bass, of course, and also i do about half of the vocals, but i by no means hold the band together or even make an attemp to do something responsible, that's just not by department.

7. There is a myth around where i live that a bass player is only in a band because he/she has to be.
    Most lead guitarists i've played with see themselves as the most important person, when we all know in a band situation, everyone is supposed to be equal (or at least that's my view).
    Being influenced by players like Jack Bruce, i have a tendency to improvise alot, which results in lead guitarists shouting at me because i'm taking the focus off of them. has anyone else had this problem?

8. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    That is to me a very strange concept. The most magic moment in music is when everybody in the band has a good day and everything works - intro, breaks, ending, you're in perfect synch with the drummer, the band is rocking! After playing a song the neck hair is standing up and there's a stupid happy grin on everybodies faces. Granted, this doesn't happen every gig... :) ...but it never happens when you're alone, regardless of instrument. The idea that I as a bass player would prefer to be solo is absurd IMHO.

9. Disco_Dave

Disco_Dave

Feb 22, 2002
    London
    My role is bassist/lyric writer/backing singer and alchoholic....

10. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    I guess I'm the techie of the band. Whenever there's some sort of problem with wires or electronics I'm the guy that gets to fix it. I also handle the PA at practice, but that's just because I'm the closest one to it.

11. Chriss62

Chriss62

Jul 24, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    My role in my band is composing most of the music, a bit of the songwriting, sound tech (don't own a P. A. though), moving stuff, Substances(won't name 'em), and of course, all bass playing duties. Also, some back-up vocals. I guess what your saying is true.

12. hujo

hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    It's different for different bands. In some bands i just play the bass, in others I write songs. What I enjoyed the most was our now defunct rock-group. I played the bass, the other guys wrote some songs, i wrote arrangements for them, and nagged on everybody at the rehersals! great fun!;)

13. Juggalo_Bassist

Juggalo_Bassist Guest

Jan 6, 2002
    I play the bass plus I own the PA and run sound, and do my share of back up singing/screaming (I am in a heavy band after all). I also record on the side with my cousin (pretty/depressing type stuff)because he owns no basses.

14. I am the lead singer bassist writter and i have the equipment set up
    the rythm guitar does eq and is the most organized
    lead provides the melody and riffs
    The drummer well what can i say
    BEATMASTER
    all equally important to your common smaller stiving band

POST EDITED DUE TO INAPPROPRIATE CONTENT

15. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    OK.

16. Mutilation

Mutilation Member

Jan 10, 2002
    hehe Im a one man band

I play bass, drums.. im a drummer mostly... I play alot of bass though.. and I love em equilly... i play a little guitar.. sumtimes i get my friends to come and jam .. i got some friends that are good guitarist..

17. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    ooops. another of the ole' "let's start a new thread instead of reply to one that's already there."

don't ya just hate it when that happens? it's like some guy talking really loud on his cell phone in a quiet restaurant. ;) :D

18. Dumfish

Dumfish

Oct 6, 2001
    Santa Rosa, Ca
    whatever floats your boat

:confused:

19. Hopefully, I'll be doin' some back up vocals...that would be cool, cuz then chicks would be like, "Hey, he sings! What's that stringed thing that he's got?"...:cool:

20. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

You sure you don't want some "cheese" in there! ?
    :D