Your Sansamp RBI EQ Strategy

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by brohar, Jul 27, 2005.

1. brohar

Dec 29, 2004
    How do you guys set your RBI? What strategy do you use when setting it up for a gig or new bass?

I just got my rig fully assemble - Sansamp RBI, Samson SX1200 and a Avatar 2x12 delta.

Ive been playing around with the RBI trying to check out the different sounds I can get. With my Cirrus I can get some great sounds. However, my Warwick Corvette sounds harsh and gritty. I cant seem to find a good setting for it yet. Ive reduced the mids, his, presence but it goes from harsh to being too bassy with no middle ground.
  2. andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    This has been widely discussed many times before. Keep in mind the RBI/BDDI controls are very interactive with each other. Also the mix and presence controls have proven crucial for me in harsh related problems. Keep you mix no further than 12 o'clock and the presence control as low as possible.

3. Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Mississippi / Memphis, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    i like the blend control full on.........bass at 2 oclock, mids at 1 oclock, highs at 12 oclock, drive 12 oclock, presence 10 oclock..
  4. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

My general RBI strategy: start with all controls at 12:00. You didn't mention Blend... where are you setting that? The sample settings in the manual usually have Blend set at full, but that never works for me. I usually keep Blend between 40 and 60 percent... 11 o'clock to 1 o'clock. Where do you set Drive? Turn it all the way off if your tone is harsh and gritty. Keep in mind that the RBI controls are powerful... a small change can make a big difference.

Is your Corvette active? If so, start with all controls flat. Try rolling off some treble to reduce harshness. Maybe your Corvette has much higher output than your Cirrus... if so, try rolling off some volume on the bass.
  5. orskard

Mar 17, 2004
    I could only get a dirty harsh sound out of my p bass for a few months, then i did searches where people posted pics of their rigs and sansamp and used those settings till i found a good one. I changed some things, but the day i did it, i got complements at a gig by a guy that sees us everytime.

Drive 11
    Pres. 11
    Blend 3
    Bass 1
    Mid 12.30
    Treb. 10

see how that works for you, you will probally have to lower the mids and highs just to make your hiss go away, it could also be your drive that is making it do that.

How do you like your avatar? Im thinking about getting the Neo.
  6. Keep in mind that the Presence control's flat position is all the way down (it's boost-only). It can cause harshness if it's too high. I keep mine at about 9 o'clock.
  7. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    I was just running my Warwick Streamer LX 6 through a SABDDI (Streamer > SABDDI > Crown Macrotech 2402 > EA NL-210), which, if I remember correctly is very similar. Had a great sound with the follwing settings (o'clock terminology obviously).

Blend : noon
    Treble : noon
    Bass : 12:30 (VERY slightly bumped)
    Presence : 1:30
    Drive : 8:00

Onboard pre was set with pickups slightly rolled toward neck (maybe 75% neck and 25% bridge, perhaps not even that drastic) and treble slightly cut (about 15% or so).

I didn't realize that presence is boost only. Is it that way on the SABDDI too?
  8. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

9. brohar

Dec 29, 2004
    Thanks, Ill put all your ideas and suggestions to the test and see what works for me. I just started experimenting with the blend and am already getting some good results.

I am really enjoying the avatar, it has great punch with the lows included. I think a 2x10 would complete this rig of doom but im holding off on that.