Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Your settings for a FLAT response from the SABDDI???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ::::BASSIST::::, Jan 13, 2006.

1. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Just curious how you set your dials to get a flat response from the sabddi.

Currently, for finger style playing, i have the bass and treble set at 9'oclock. But i have a feeling i may be losing some bass in my effort to retain mids.

2. Nigel

Nigel

Sep 16, 2004
    Denmark
    The "blend" is key with the sabddi. I couldn't get a good sound until I lowered the blend to about 10 o'clock.
    If you use too high settings of blend, the tone becomes very scooped with neutral eq. If you try to bring back the mids by lowering bass and treble (to under 10 o'clock), the tone just seem to become thin and well... a little weird.
    I use my sabddi as a stompbox to kick in a tubey, warm, slightly overdriven tone when desired, with the following settings.

Level: Set to unity betweeen on/off.
    Blend: 10 o'clock
    Treble: Just before 12 o'clock (like 11.30)
    Bass: Just before 12 o'clock
    Presence: 10-11 o'clock
    Drive: 12-1 o'clock

I'm not shure I would consider these settings "flat", but it adds a certain something without too much tone alteration...

3. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    thanks for the info man! i know the blend is a bit tricky. i usually have it at about 50%, but i find that if l lower it too much the sound gets really honky. 10 o'clock sounds reasonable though.

4. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    Try the clean peizo setting in the manual, works for me usually.

Treble 12:00
    Bass 12:15 - 12:30 (very slightly bumped)
    Presence 1:30 - 02:00
    Blend 12:00
    Drive all the way down
    Level wherever you need it

You can dial in a little more drive to taste, but I find it useless past about 10:30 or so. As long as you never gank the blend past noon you should get adequate mids. I know that the presence knob is supposedly boost only, but the SABDDI seems to eat some of my top end. I find that I need to turn it up just to compensate for a loss of high end.

5. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    i find if i turn the drive down too much my Focus SA loses the required input to push it properly.