Your "sound" on Double Nickels...

Discussion in 'Ask Mike Watt [Archived]' started by btrag, Apr 2, 2005.

1. btrag

Mar 7, 2005
    Mr. Watt;
    In my collection of Minutemen albums, Double Nickels not only stands out to me because of the exceptional music, but the sound of the recording. The are no studio gimmicks, and everything is direct, dynamic, and real-sounding. Can you give any information about the production of the album? Were you miked, or, did you go direct? What did your set-up consist of? About how many mikes were used? Was it a direct to two-track recording?
  2. btrag

Mar 7, 2005
    *anyone* have any info?
  3. wingnutkj

Mar 27, 2003
    Watt's on tour in Europe just now...
  4. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    He seems pretty busy these days. Good for Watto!
  5. I recall reading somewhere that "Double Nickels" was recorded live to two-track in two days for $1,100.
  6. chout

Dec 21, 2005
    Minneapolis, MN
    I agree that double nickels has a great sound, could be my favorite album ever, actually.
    I heard a long time ago that it was his Tele bass plugged direct into the board.
    I want SST to make a double disc cd remaster with the songs restored that were deleted from the current cd version. Find the cassette or vinyl for the complete album.
  7. apollo

Apr 23, 2002
    east coast, usa
    Good luck getting SST to re-release ANYTHING without a lawyer... It seems one by one their bands sue them and then the stuff is reissued by labels like Ryko ... who has jumped ship? let's see, Sonic Youth, Meat Puppets, Dinosaur Jr, Husker Du is currently in court over it.

A remaster of Double Nickels would be AWESOME. It definitely needs the original tunes put back on. Also the sound quality for digital mastering is so much better now then back in the 80s or early 90s when it was done.

How good the reissue is depends on the artist - in the case of Dino Jr for example, J.mascis left off some tracks, and put bonus tracks for some albums in the wrong order (ie the tracks on "you're living all over me" belong on "bug"). A Minutemen reissue would depend on the surviving Minutemen -Watt has the best intentions for keeping the music alive but whether he'd push Greg Ginn etc. to get that done is anybody's guess.
  8. e.maynard

Nov 11, 2004
    Afton, Virginia
    As a studio owner and a true fan of both the Minutemen and the sound of this particular record, I had an email conversation a few years back with the late Ethan James (Radio Tokyo owner & Double Nickels Engineer/Mixer). He mentioned a few specific things. The bass was recorded direct, using the Tele bass (I think) with EMG PU's, thru a Sound Workshop 1600 console, and onto an Otari 16 track if I'm not mistaken.

It also sounds like some definite DBX 160 compression too. The kick drum & bass are mixed so well it's rediculous. So much "air" around the notes. This is a hard to beat record any way you look at it.
  9. Malcom

Oct 21, 2002
    The Midwest
    Let's not forget that SST has been in default for a decade now.

Songs are missing from my CD?
  10. baker

Apr 14, 2006