Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

your speaker configuration

Discussion in 'Ask Michael Dimin' started by babaseen, Jan 13, 2004.

1. babaseen

babaseen Don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2001
    Boston, MA
    i have been investigating a purchase of EA equipment and have been impressed with your writings about this equipment. I believe based on the various write ups on the iAMP800 that it is exactly what I am searching for (but unable to test drive one in the Boston area). Specifically low THD (although I can not find a THD spec on the iAMP800) and lightweight are my desire, i.e., accurate reproduction of my bass (Sadowsky 5 string fretless and Status S-2) and my touch. My quandry is in regards to which configuartion would do me justice. I noticed that you have the NL-210 with the 1x12 cab whereas I'm leaning (based on past experience) towards two 2x10 cabs. I thought I had read somewhere that matching cabs might have some positive effect on the projection. Since I'm sure you have had the opportunity to chose any configuration, your input would be helpful.

Dig your sound and your work with the Boomerang:D

2. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    Sorry I've taken so long to respond. I've been away at the NAMM show and upon return got fairly sick (I actually had to sub out this w/e's gigs).

EA does not post THD. I might be able to find out for you. The 800 and the new 500 are all that I could ever want. The 2 cabinets do sound a bit different. The 210 is REALLY flat, almost in a scary sense. It is just so even across the frequency spectrum that it is a bit unsettling at first. It is truly wonderful and my cab of choice on most gigs. The 112 is really hi-fi. It is a bit more aggressive than the 210. It is very articulate but not quite as sweet as the 210. Please remember that the differences are very subtle (not like plugging into an aggie or some other colored cabinet).

The 2 cabinets together are just simply amazing. It is too bat that I just don't play enough gigs that warrant both cabinets together.

If you ever want to try out the cabs, I live just over the border from the Berkshires in NY. Your more than welcome to take a drive and play with the gear.

Mike

3. babaseen

babaseen Don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2001
    Boston, MA
    Thanks for the offer Mike...if I had more time on my hands I would stop by...maybe I'll catch a gig if you are ever in the Boston area. Anyway I decided to take a chance and just go for the iAMP800 and NL-210...I recieved them this past Friday and have been breaking the setup in all weekend...one word WOW! I feel like I reinvented myself on bass, double stops never sounded so good...thanks for the help.
    nuff said...back to more tone experimentation;-)

4. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    Have fun :hyper:

Mike