Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Your special tone

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Wes I AM, Dec 18, 2000.

1. Wes I AM

Wes I AM

May 27, 2000
    Tampa, FL
    Hey. ummm what kind of tone do you guys like to play with and how do you set the controls on your amps and basses? I personally like to turn the highs and mids all the way down on my bass and amp and the lows all the way up on my bass and down on my amp. That way I get a nice low thumpy growl. So anyway, how about you?

2. I boost a lot of lows then let the EQ drop then I boost mids the drop again then I have the EQ gradually rising and boosting highs. that's a good tone for me =)

-Willz

3. Brook

Brook

Sep 24, 2000
    I crank the bass and mid and roll off the higher frequencys. this gives good low end with articulation.

4. Wes I AM

Wes I AM

May 27, 2000
    Tampa, FL
    kewl. even though i dunno what EQ is. cheap amp.

5. Depends.
    Slap - Flat.
    Growly Stuff - Boost Bass, everything else flat.
    Articulated, soloey stuff - Umm, whatever.

You know, right, this depends on the strings. I'm using stainless steel right now. I have to boost the bass more than when I was using Nickel-wounds.

Later.

6. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    It depends on which bass I'm using. For the most part, I use a sort of two-humped camel on the EQ - flat at 100hz and below, boosted at 250K, suppressed at 500-1000K, slight boost at around 1250K, and suppressed above 5000K. I generally start there, and tweak it depending on the bass. My Epiphone sounds fabulous on these settings - a very pure bass sound. The settings I gave give you a nice fat low end (recording trick is to suppress anything under 100hz, because almost any room will pull those freqs in with natural ambience), with a nice punchy tone (what john turner once called a "nice Harley-esque midrange"), little of that harsh twang, and just enough high end to help with string and note definition.

7. furtim

furtim

Dec 12, 1999
    Boston, MA, USA
    As for EQ, I boost my lows all the way, cut back my mids (well, a 0dB adjustment compared to what my bass puts out), and punch up the highs to where it's up there, but not quite as boosted as the low end. Kind of a parabola, only it's higher on the low end.

As for the bass end, I've got one of those three-knob Jazz bass dealies. So I set 10 on the neck, 7 on the bridge, and tone to one. Since it's MIM, there's technically very little difference between the neck and bridge pickups, but it is kinda noticeable. ;)

The overall effect is to deliver a nice punch without losing either the Fender growl or the J-bass warmth of tone. Very nice. Oh, and I sometimes punch up the tone dial on my bass when I want to sound terrible. ;)

8. I set my Deluxe j's to flat except for the treble which I cut by half (whatever that is)... then it goes into my bassdriver DI which is set flat(which gooses the amp a little bit for some growl)... then it goes into my SVT 2 wich is set flat except for the bass control that's set at 3 o' clock... then the signal goes out to the cabs with the tweeter cut just a little.

The net result is a punchy, smooth, growl that is bright but doesn't have an irritating honking or hissing high end.

9. cschenk78

cschenk78

Mar 12, 2000
    Watertown, NY
    I like my EQ like I like my women, big, busty and with a warm, round bottom:p

10. Doug

Doug

Apr 5, 2000
    Buffalo, N.Y.
    I go for that Geddy Lee/Eddie Jackson overdrive. I drive my SVT with my SVP-PRO preamp.

Preamp: Bass around 9, mid around 10, highs around 1. No EQ used unless I need it. Freq. selector on 2. Drive at 11. Master volume at 9. And the biggest trick for that overdive sound, set the gain at 10.

Bass: Boost lows, Boost mids, Highs are flat. Both p/u's slightly backed off. I also use the BBE Sonic Maximizer to tighten up the lows.

I used to be one of those low end boosters, until I got this rig. It nails that tone to a tee and really fills in without loosing the low end, when the guitar player solos. That was always one of my goals, to maintain the fullnes of sound during guitar solos.

11. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    My Ampeg has the usual 5 band rotary EQ knobs where 12oclock is flat.
    my settings
    Low at 1 oclock (ULTRA LOW BOOST ON)
    Mid low 1
    Mid 11
    High mid 11
    high 10

Then I pluck my E string and shift my jazz pickups balance slightly towards the bridge pick up until I hear that piano like growl. That's where I leave it. Make sense?

12. Wes I AM

Wes I AM

May 27, 2000
    Tampa, FL
    You guys have got way too many toys to play with! and I am jealous. i gotta get a better combo dammit! :O

13. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    my favorite tone is sardonic sarcasm.

14. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    John: so we noticed.....:cool:

It's a nice sound for you, but how do you EQ that? I like to boost the irony up to about 100-250hz, then put a slight dip in the sarcasm up to about 800hz - you know, just enough to take the edge off and not offend anybody too much, and then cut the melodrama completely out up to about 5-6K. Above that, it all depends on the room.....

15. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000

[​IMG] Aw geez. There's that dang age monkey again!

16. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Keep the highs boosted slightly, along with the "High Boost" switch on, and the mid/highs boosted just a little bit. The lows, the low mids and the mids are kept pretty much in a straight line (at the 0 line on the EQ) Gives me nice lows, and gives the higher end some articulation (for some hard rock with a little bit of funk)