Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Your stories of dead beat band mates

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Opus, Sep 1, 2000.

1. Opus

Opus

May 25, 2000
    I know you all have met Mike. Mike is the guy who doesn't have a car or a job therefore no way to the show or way to haul the equiptment and is better than Houdini at dissapearing when time comes to haul it. This so called "Mike Problem" will only get worse. If Mike is on guitar the strings will get so much finger cheese on them that they have bonded to the neck and thump when you pick them. When you ask him the last time he intonated his guitar he asks, "what's that?".If Mike is on drums get a metronome. If mike is singing he thinks key is something they let him out of jail with the night before not something you sing in. Mike is SH*T that should be scraped from you and your band mates shoes, if you are currently dealing with one, no matter how friendly or talented.
    We had a Mike on guitar. Somehow he managed to pretend he was sober for two hours before our headline show! He would start a riff two bars early and end it four bars late. After we all took turns pissing on him an hour and a half after passed out by falling off stage halfway through the set, we told him we longer required his services. We found out later four valiums and a fifth of grand mariner were to blame and not him, he said. Lets hear your stories of misplaced trust.

2. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

While in South America, a friend and I got the "bright" idea to start a blues band and bring blues to the small industrial city where we lived in the land of salsa, merengue and changa.

So my friend knew a guiatrist who looked just like Johhny Winter if you can believe it. He was part Russian and part South American. Anyhoo, my friend said this guy used to be a fairly decent rock player and maybe he would be interested.

So that guy showed up to my house and said he'd like to jam with me and try out some blues songs he liked. First, he was a chain smaoker and I have asthma, so we had to jam on the steamy back porch while security giards looked on in amazement. Second, he said he needed a beer. I was out, so he said he'd take rum. Guys, he drank the whole bottle staright!!! Also as he played, he put that damned cigarrett near the head of his guitar, like some old rock star! Ashes fell everywhere.

Then my CD player broke and he told me he was a stereo repair guy and would fix it free just to be in our blues band. Meanwhile he was getting drunker and drunker. So I decided to end the jam, he went home, took the stereo, which I never saw again. The slime.

Anyway, we just had one problem after another with him, like a soap opera. Finally we just decided to find another guitarist and we were so happy with that guy. What a difference it made! Jason Oldsted

[Edited by JasonOldsted on 09-01-2000 at 07:45 AM]

3. Hey guys, I got one. I was starting a band with a friend of mine, and we were just getting a few original tunes. We practiced alot, then all of a sudden he doesn't show up for band practice. I came to find out later that he had sold all of his gear for drugs!! I ended the band right then (like I had a choice).

Woofy Out!

4. Our drummer just quit two weeks ago, which saved us the trouble of firing him. Now, don't get me wrong, this guy is a friend, we played together and hung out for two years, but he was just a heap of trouble. Him and our guitar player make approximately the same salary, yet somehow our drummer couldn't come up with a red cent when we recorded our CD. Me and the guitarist both kicked in over $3000. Then the drummer's van died so he had no way to get to band practice. I ended up giving him rides both ways.. it wasn't very far out of my way, but still. Then, he just couldn't seem to come up with his share of the practice space rent. At one point, he owed me $250. (Later, we find out most of his money had been going up his nose.) And of course, at the end, when he wanted to quit the band, he let us know something was wrong by not showing up for practice two nights in a row.
    Oh.. and did I mention he SUCKED as a timekeeper on the kit??

5. I thought that I had finally found the band that would be all that I wanted to be. A deadly drummer with - get this - work ethics!! 2 simply awesome guitarists, each with totally different backgrounds and no ego's. And then me! The only problem was that there wasn't any vocals. I brought in a friend that I had worked with before as a frontman. He had always done a good job and seemed driven to do even better. The band had already been practicing for about 3 months when the singer joined. All that was left was to work out the vocals and that was that. Our first gig was one that I was part of the promotional team. I lined up my earlier band and my new band. It was one of those beach concerts with the bill footed by TropicTan and the local FM station. Expected turnout was about 3000. Pretty heady stuff for a debut. We were second and after the crowd was pretty worked up with the opening act, we knew we were gonna kill'em. Well, we did. I found out after from lots of folks that our singer was off-key and out of time for every single song! I really had no idea since the monitor mix was a little weak on my side. Talk about disgusted.

6. Way back in 1989 in the first road band i was in the guy that was out utility player quit, and the contracts we had with clubs called for a 5 piece band, so the lead guitar player and drummer had a buddy who played rhythm and sang great harmony who they grabbed for the 5th member. Well, we sent this guy board tapes 3 weeks in advance and of course he didn't know even one song when we got to the first gig in Mandan, North Dakota. The 2nd day there we all went to the little mall there in Bismark and out in the hall, he proudly showed me the 2 pairs of jeans he just stole from the Gap. lol Like i was supposed to be impressed?? I told the drummer, who didn't have the highest morales in the world himself, but even he was concerned about it. We found out a few weeks later that he was on probation for looting and wasn't even supposed to leave the state of Louisiana. His mother and girlfriend would call the towns and say they were praying for his failure. Hell, it didn't take any praying in his case. We then played in Farmington, New Mexico and Frank met a girl who he announced was going to be travelling with us from them on. His buddies in the band didn't stop it. I was pissed to no end. In their infinite wisdom, they decided to make her the sound person. She knew less about sound than Helen Keller! A few weeks later in Idaho, they had a big trashing a hotel room fight, and she caught a greyhound back to New Mexico. All this time, he still hadn't managed to bother to learn the show. I finally said to the guitar player that either he goes or i go. I yelled at him on stage one night after the millionth wrong chord, and he snapped and tried to kill me after the set in Cheyenne, Wy. The cops were called. He had borrowed over 200$ off the drummer that never got paid back, and stole the guitar players bad of cables and a bunch of my tapes when he left. Trent

7. Jennifer

Jennifer

Jul 31, 2000
    Erie, Illinois

8. Oh, you mean like my old guitarist who would be so sh!tf@ced by the end of every rehersal AND gig that he didn't even know what a PICK was, nevermind how to play his guitar with one?

Yeah, I know the type. :(

9. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    And the worst of 'em is the one who there is absolutely nothing you can do about him AND HE KNOWS IT...

My first band was a fairly decent outfit in the early 80's that played brass rock like Chicago, Ides of March, some disco. Our lead singer was also the lead trumpet player and frontman. Yes, he knew how to do that... but refused to do anything else. End of every gig, he'd put his trumpet in the case, roll up his mike cord, and vanish to the bar. The rest of us are dismantling drums, lugging speakers (remember Peavey SP-1's? HOOO boy...) and everything else -- and he's just SITTING there. We all whined about it to each other, and finally confronted him. He flat-out refused to do anything. We said if he didn't start to help, we'd reduce his pay. He said if we did that, he'd quit.

And you know what? We didn't have a thing to say back to him. We had no way of finding another singer/screech trumpet player, and he knew it... THAT was what really sucked.

10. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    I'm playing a festival today, and found out last night that our drummer, who doesn't own a set anymore because he sold it when he needed the money (a year ago), can't be bothered to go rent a set himself. He decided to go to a college football game, and it would be inconvenient for him to rent the set the day before, so, he convinced the leader of the band to go to the store today, which opens ONE HOUR before we are to be on-stage, and rent the kit. At best, the leader of the band will get to the gig 30 minutes before we start playing, and will have to set up everything. Our drummer will just show up. He is a really nice guy, but does this kind of thing all the time.

11. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    These are fun!

It should come as no surprise that this guy played guitar (Ouch!). Anyway, my friend (who plays drums) convinced me to show up to play bass with these two guys who were, up until two weeks before when my friend joined, an acoustic guitar duo. Well my friend joins and convinces me to show up. I get to the gig two hours early, so we can have a little intro to the music, and see some charts (we never practiced once), and the vocalist and rhythm guitar player shows up a half hour before the gig, with no charts. Now I've got to fake the entire show. The "lead" guitarist shows up and plops down none other than the famous Gorilla amp. I couldn't believe my eyes. Here's the worst part, this lead guitarist played all his solos and other parts in Cmaj. He only knew one key. Keep in mind that most of the songs were not in Cmaj. Then he tries to direct my friend and I on how to play. The next week, yes I went back, he doesn't have the gorilla amp anymore. No ladies and gentlemen, he plugs into a Casio SongStar Karaoke machine. It was easily the most embarrassing gig of my life.

12. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
  13. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Yeah i had one or two of those guys! We have a generall rule of thumb at band practice. You can smoke a little pot for creativity or maybe ona hot day have a beer or two but come on man i think you should be able to stand up to play ina band! Ive done the road shows and did my fair share of drugs and drinking and iam tired of it! I want people that have there head screwd on straight. Like i said i will tell them that i dont care if they smoke some pot or have a beer or two but there is no reason to come to practice amped on smack or somthing!

14. Cool thread. I'll share my story, but it's a longish one. I used to be with a metal band, all originals, in a couple of different incarnations through the late 80's to the mid 90's. The singer/songwriter was some sort of musical savant, I guess (no musical education, but brilliant songs just sort of came into his head), with a voice like Rob Halford; unfortunately what came along with the package was his penchant for being a flake and later some bad occurences that drove him over the edge. It's also kind of a hard story to tell.

The first incarnation of the band was he, I, his best friend and drummer, and a great guitar player who we all knew in common, and I had played with in a previous band. We were together about nine or ten months, had 20+ original songs down tight, and were talking about getting into a studio and recording a demo and working toward seeking a record deal. Then the weather started getting warmer, the singer was getting bored, and decided it would be more fun to go hunting and riding his dirt bike rather than practicing with the band. Unfortunately, the guitarist agreed, and that was the end of that.

Later that summer, the guitarist was accidentally shot and killed when the singer's gun misfired during one of their hunting trips. If the band wasn't over before, it was really over then. This saddened us all, but it really affected the singer the most deeply, and he never really was the same after that.

We all went our separate ways for a couple of years, and I never really saw any of them for quite a while, until I happened to run into another acquaintence of the first band, who informed me that he was now playing guitar with the singer and drummer, and they were looking for a bass player.

So, there I was, back in the band, with a new guitar player, with most of the same songs we were doing a few years before, and several new ones. It didn't take long at all to get back in the groove, and we were out playing local shows within six months.

But it was very different this time with the singer; he was obviously still showing signs that he never really got over accidentally killing our friend. He was drinking a lot more, and probably using some drugs (most of the band besides me did something or other). When he was working on new songs, the themes and lyrics became stranger and stranger. He'd bring down a new song to work on, and most of the time, we'd end up just sort of scratching our heads and throwing up our hands, but we felt like we couldn't say anything, knowing the situation, so we went along with it, and played the weird stuff. (Also, he started doing weirder and more dangerous stuff outside the band, but I can't and won't get into any details here.)

He also clashed with the guitar player a lot, because he had a different style than the first guitarist, and it was obvious that the singer was used to the first one's style and was frustrated that he was gone (so there was no solution to that problem).

Things got even uglier when the singer decided that he wanted to play rhythm guitar to make our sound better. Down he came to practice one day with his "gear"; this consisted of an old Gibson Explorer he had modified himself (no, he was no luthier, more like Tim the Tool Man Taylor with a guitar), and a homemade amplifier with Radio Shack components. I think this was the first straw for the guitar player, who was miffed that the singer's homemade crap was sitting next to his collection of Jacksons and his Marshall stack, and tried to do everything he could to keep the singer from playing guitar.

The final straw was when we decided to record our six-song demo. We found a good local studio and got some rates. Three of us were ready to pony up our share, but the singer couldn't come through with his. Since we were burning to record, we found a cheaper studio that the other three of us could afford without him. The recording sessions were a fiasco; this "studio" was a burned-out old warehouse, which was freezing cold. Most of our time was spent either watching the engineer trying to figure out how to work his equipment, or sitting outside in our cars with the heaters on trying to keep warm. We got four tracks down before we lost patience and called it quits on the whole mess. The final mix was a disaster, and we never got our money back. Of course, the fingers of blame ended up being pointed at the singer, because of the money situation. And that ended incarnation #2 of that band.

I've probably left out a lot of details, but it was a bizarre and confusing situation. I really miss that band though, and the singer's songwriting talent (and of course, my friend Steve, the first guitar player). I'm convinced we could've been something if it wasn't for all the squabbling and B.S. The metal heyday came and went, and we missed out on it.

15. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Alright, I had this guitarist/"singer" who was just too much to take. First of all our drummer never showed up... I don't blame him. We had the practices in my basement. We'd start out doing "Smells like Teen Spirit." The only song we all knew, which he never sang. Then listen to him attempt "Sultans of Swing." Make up a chord progression and jam. He stopped showing up for practices, because his friend would come over and get him high, all we could do is play music (We being the lead guitarist and I) so I get a call on day, he is complaining about the lead guitarist and how he never shows up for practice, he missed like one maybe, and then bitched about how much it sucked "Carrying the band". It's amazing how talented he was, I mean he could carry a whole band sitting in his room drinking. Later I'm talking to his friend who told me that Mr. said the lead guitarist and I screwed up the band, we never showed up for practices... you know... the ones in my basement!?!?! But he claims they were in his house upstairs and the drummer always showed up, we never did. Hmmm so that's where the drummer was hiding! But the lead guitarist and I were the reason that the band never worked... :rolleyes:

Edit (BW) This post contained a lot of unnecessary expletives which wouldn't be there if the posting rules had been observed.

If I ever have to correct this much crap again, I'm deleting the post outright.