Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Your Suggestions for Acoustic Bass Purchase

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mateo, Jan 5, 2004.

1. mateo

mateo

Jan 5, 2004
    I'm an acoustic guitarist who wants to learn to play bass. I've limited income $500-$1000 to put towards an acoustic bass guitar. Please help me decide. I plan on playing in coffeehouse type settings.

What are some good brands and models? I;m looking for sound, quality, and durability. When it comes to bang for your buck, I'd rather not pay for the name but put it towards a higher end lesser named instrument.:bassist:

2. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Tacoma Thunderchief, no contest.

3. sethlow3

sethlow3 Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Ditto they are amazing unplugged and plugged in. However, neck dive is a pain on most ABGs. You may even consider a guitarron. Tacomas are the best sounding of all others that I have played. I own a fretless one and have thought of selling it to save for a new car.

4. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    You wouldn't happen to be Mateo of Mateomusic?

5. Another vote for the Tacoma Thunderchief - I had the opportunity to play one last month and I loved it. Sounded great, and loud- unplugged too (which in itself was pretty unusual for an acoustic bass). Got my own last week and I am very happy with my purchase.

[​IMG]

6. ...or try one of these puppies by Godin -

[​IMG]

I own an A4 like the one on the left.

7. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    How about an upright bass? Most acoustic basses i've tried have been really fun to play, but sounded like ass. I haven't tried any of the aforementioned in this thread, however.

8. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    You might find a used Taylor-Klein ABG for somewhere around the upper end of your price range. Worth a look.

But among what's fairly dependably available in your range, IMO the Tacoma is the best bet.

9. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Tacoma Thunderchief. They have a few different levels, search for one with a Fishman Prefix Plus preamp in it. Sound is great both plugged in and acoustic.

10. artistanbul

artistanbul Nihavend Longa Vita Brevis

Apr 15, 2003
    Turkey-Istanbul
    yep go with tacoma or godin.
    alternatively you could look for carvins. I hear that they are good. Oh and Jasmine and Takamine is surely worth a shot.

11. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    Just got a Tacoma Thunderchief myself this weekend and I'm with these guys!

I lucked out too, got a demo model (new but played in-store) for $529 at GC. Another hundred and change for a case and a stand and I rolled out. Their normal price is $1k on that bass. Mine has the LR Baggs pre, I believe.

Gonna put some LaBella Deep-Talkin' nylons on it ASAP, the bronzes it came with are a little squeaky.

Little bit of feedback as well with my GK amp but I could generally dial it out on the bass's own EQ, didn't have to change the amp at all.

Thumbs way up on the Thunderchief (CB10 is the model number) - comes in fretless and/or 5-string too if ya like!