Your suggestions My money GO!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SpanishDave, Jun 22, 2022.

1. SpanishDave

SpanishDave

Mar 3, 2009
    Vigo Spain
    Good evening one and all.

I have 680€. I don’t have an amp.
    You can see where I’m going with this.

Yet another what amp/cab/combo thread. However there is a slight twist.
    Here we go…..

I am in the market for a new amp, be it head/cab or combo. Absolute max max max budget is 680€ unless I sell other gear.

What about the twist!!!??
    Hold your horses, I’m getting there.

before lockdown I had a Fender rumble 500 that was great and only got sold because a Markbass cmd121p came up for sale local and was bought. Loved the Markbass but that was sold during lockdown to pay for food and shelter.

WHere’s the TWIST??!!!??
    Hang on hang on

The secondhand market in Spain is very very sparse, even more so where I am over on the Atlantic coast. I am on 3/4 forums and have 3 secondhand sales apps which are checked daily to see if something comes up, and bass amps are few and far between.
    There are 3 music stores in Vigo (closest city to me) and I go past one or the other at least one a month. But they are general music stores with no bass amps or a couple of Rumbles or pathfinders.

So the Twist, and God love you if you’ve made it here, my question is this, with 680€ what would you buy from Thomann?

The Markbass 121 is just out of reach but I may just have to bite the bullet and sell something else but if you’re bored, (if you’re still reading now I’m guessing you are) have a look on thomann/musicstore and throw ideas at me.

Guidelines, small, lightweight, power.
    if you absolutely need more specifics think Markbass and go from there.
    Is there something I haven’t seen in my one million visits to thomann and musicstores websites?

To close, (I promise) yes sound, yes tone, yes feel, yes try before you buy, yes secondhand market, etc etc
    Right now the only viable option is new from one of the German giants.

So! I’m ready for any and all suggestions.

(if your still here, this is an Easter egg for you. I think someone will say,
    a. look for something secondhand
    B. You should buy what sounds good
    C. Carrots

Within the first 20 comments.

2. SpanishDave

SpanishDave

Mar 3, 2009
    Vigo Spain
    I made a rookie mistake!

I play in a Oasis cover band. two guitars/drums.
    A folk rock band, tame Drummer, guitarist with a Fender 15 blues junior. Plays fairly loud.

and a covers band, guitarist has a Vox ac30.

99% of the time I have FOH support.

mikewalker and George Dennis like this.
  3. Tendril

Tendril

Sep 28, 2004
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Will the MarkBass cover your needs? You already know it's strengths and weaknesses, so there's no guess work there, I assume.

Edit: did a quick trip to Thomann, and it sure looks like it's a good amp for your needs. I'd hit up a friend for a loan of whatever it takes, then sell some plasma to repay them. Or sell the plasma first, either way is good.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2022
    George Dennis and SpanishDave like this.
  4. SpanishDave

SpanishDave

Mar 3, 2009
    Vigo Spain
    The 121 would easily cover me yup.

5. gtirard

gtirard

Feb 22, 2020
    Paris, France
    Well, obviously you have too many parameters you want to check simultaneously, and we don't have a magic wand.
    If you search 500 W+ and 680 €- in Thomann's bass combo page, you will only find Bugera or Hartke.

You could wait until you find a B-Stock CMD121 on Thomann, but that may never happen, and you can create an alert for a used CMD121 on Reverb?

6. Aloe

Aloe

Apr 10, 2016
    Ukraine
    if you'll be able to stretch an extra hundred, the EBS Reidmar 502 and the Classic-112 cab is a very nice combination available from Thomann.

P.S. oops, it seems like with Spanish taxes it's two extra hundred.

Maybe a Warwick cab with MarkBass or EBS then?

7. SpanishDave

SpanishDave

Mar 3, 2009
    Vigo Spain
    Gonna check this out now

Edit: yup those two are close to 900€ together so that would bring me straight back to the Markbass.

8. Aloe

Aloe

Apr 10, 2016
    Ukraine
    well, if you want it cheaper, either get a cheap cab (the abovementioned Wick), or a cheap head (BQ500 comes to my mind). or both together.

a third-party cab with a MarkBass head might not sound that MarkBassy, if you really dig it, as MarkBass cabs are definitely colored. the BQ head on the other hand might be somewhat considered like a poor man's MarkBass, you may like its' sounding. or not.

SpanishDave likes this.
  9. spatters

spatters

Mar 25, 2002
    TyBo, Mk90 and SpanishDave like this.
  10. CallMeAl

CallMeAl Supporting Member

Dec 2, 2016
    Ithaca Ny
    I’m guessing you don’t want to go back to Rumble?

I have a Rumble 100 and the CMD121p, and from my view it’s kinda hard to replace a Markbass. My gut says sell the gear and shoot for the moon.

I also have a Ampeg PF head which kills; I might be inclined to try a Rocketbass 210 combo. Third choice, Hartke Kickback.

good luck!

SpanishDave likes this.
  11. mcrawfordmusic

mcrawfordmusic

Dec 11, 2010
    Australia
    You've already made up your mind, man!

Hold out until you can afford the Mark Bass otherwise you'll just be disappointed.

Obese Chess and SpanishDave like this.
  12. JeezyMcNuggles

JeezyMcNuggles Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2018
    Santa Maria, CA
    I suck, but nobody really notices
    Everything Harley benton makes

spatters likes this.
  13. SpanishDave

SpanishDave

Mar 3, 2009
    Vigo Spain
    Hahahahhaa
    Not a bad idea.

JeezyMcNuggles likes this.
  14. bordinco90

bordinco90

Dec 7, 2011
    SW Louisiana
    Why don't you try a Markbass Jeff Berlin Players School Combo? They are really powerful and cheaper than the 121. I've owned one in the past and it was amazing. Very loud and sounds great. If I were you, I would buy this one. It's a winner IMO.

CallMeAl and SpanishDave like this.
  15. gstaats

gstaats

Mar 22, 2019
    If you always have FOH support, do you need an amp? Mesa Subway+ DI & IEMs? Depending on how good monitoring is, I've played venues where my amp simply didn't matter at all. Just an unconventional thought. My band is moving this route and even has practiced all IEMs. I ran my subway+ DI into our 32R and was super happy to not schlep an amp!

16. chaak

chaak

Apr 25, 2013
    now here
    if i were to buy a combo I would definitely buy and recommend the Mesa/Boogie Walkabout Scout 1x15

for an amp x cab combination I love my Aguilar TH500 + Barefaced Big Baby II

17. SpanishDave

SpanishDave

Mar 3, 2009
    Vigo Spain
    That Sir is now the front runner and there is also one available second hand…….

bordinco90 and TyBo like this.
  18. SpanishDave

SpanishDave

Mar 3, 2009
    Vigo Spain
    I would love that. I had tried to convince previous bands about trying this and having I silent stage with good IEM’s and everything controlled off stage and it’s been an absolute non starter with and it’s annoying. Let’s try iem’s and no amps. (Both bands were four pieces, bass drums guitar Vox) guitarist was using good quality modeling gear. But was No all round, without trying and without any previous experience, “that’ll terrible, I need an amp for my sound, I don’t trust the sound person….”
    But I’d love it.

Gizmot likes this.
  19. SpanishDave

SpanishDave

Mar 3, 2009
    Vigo Spain
    I’ll check’em out now but I am thinking that other budget will be blown.

ColdEye and chaak like this.
  20. Bisounourse

Bisounourse

Jun 21, 2012
    Gent, Belgium
    you forgot: D. answer regarding Mesa Boogie :D

Since you know the Markbass and like it, I would try to save some more money and get that one (after all, you are only 118 € short, and they won't be in stock for another 3-4 weeks).
    But, you can try the Jeff Berlin 151.
    Other options: there is a Peavey Minimax (never played one, they get some good reviews here) or an EBS Reidmar 502 B stock on Musicstore for the moment.
    Add a cab to your liking for the rest of your budget.

Peavey MiniMAX | MUSIC STORE professional
    EBS Reidmar 502 B-Stock/Demo | MUSIC STORE professional

SpanishDave likes this.