Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Your take on the Eden tone

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MarkMcCombs, Mar 29, 2002.

1. After a couple of weeks of playing my Eden CXC combo, here's my thoughts (initial and now) on the Eden sound....

modern warm. It's almost "blurry" at times, which kinda bugged me at first, though now I dig it. It seems to almost give me some sustain or compression or something. I think I was expecting a really clean, hi-fi tone, like the SWRs I've played through, based on what I thought I've heard here at TB. I wouldn't call it hi-fi, it's sorta growly and soft-edged, like an slightly overdriven SVT, I guess, though not at all "dirty". But I can still get some glassy highs, just not as crisp as the SWRs I've played. It does cut through the mix like nothing I've ever played; and now I realize that a solo/practice tone can be much different than a tone that cuts through in a band setting. I don't pretend to understand the "why" of cutting through.

Maybe a cross between a Mesa and an Ampeg.

I'd like to hear how others describe it.....

2. When i played through an eden rig a couple of times, i thought it was a great amp, and the cabs are definately exceptional, but i felt that the preamp was too trebly for my tastes. I like just thick full sound, which is why i chose aguilar. Although, i wouldn't mind having an Eden WP-100 so that when i want that tone, i can just patch it into the poweramp of the DB750.

3. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.
    The only Eden amps I've played were a Metro and some other combo, and the tone I got, wasn't for me.. I'm glad you like yours though!

4. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    I'm diggin the hell outa my new WT400!
    I'm a Ampeg guy at heart and the Tone of the Eden is close to the Peg but I think the Eden has a little more definition and the bottom is huge, I don't hear anything Hi-Fi about mine, But I use all vintage Fenders, If i plugged in a Modulas of something newer you could probably get the Hi-Fi tone.
    Nothing like a Vintage Ampeg though, I kept my 70's B25B but I traded the new SVT3pro for the Eden, I just dig the Tone I'm getting out of it..

5. I love my eden rig!

I get great tones with it for all styles of music.

6. I had an Eden D-410XLT until recently, when I sold it and bought an Aguilar 2x12. The Eden has that bump in the low-mids.. "grunt", if you will. I had the same experience as Mark; I found the Eden to be a bit blurry around open E, F, and F#, but I got used to it and grew to really like that cabinet. The Aguilar sounded just as good to me as the Eden, but with a more neutral character.. it's pretty clean all the way around. Not to mention, 28 pounds lighter!

7. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    I agree with the observation that the XLT cabs are a bit "grunt-y" and get a little blurry down low (but still sound great). That's why I got the 410XST instead, it's flat (no grunt) and has better, clearer lows than the XLT. :D

Of course Dave's GS 212 sounds pretty damn killer too....almost as good as two of 'em would sound! ;)

8. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I think your description is pretty right on, Mark. If I wanted to be uncharitable, I'd call Edens "muffled." It's definitely not a transparent, hi-fi sound. OTOH, they have a nice warm, attractive presence that works well in a band. I own a WT400 (my favorite Eden) and a WT800. I also own four Eden cabs that I mix and match: D115XL, D215XLT, D410XLT and D210XLT.

These days, however, I greatly prefer the Epifani T212 and EA iAmp600 with my Modulus Q6, Roscoe SKB3007 and Ken Smith BSR6 GN. The reason? Less colored and more "hi-fi."

I also like and use SWR gear which is way more transparent than Eden. Bass 740, Big Ben and Triad.

Eden gear is very good, well-made stuff and if the tone is your cup o' tea, it's hard to beat. But it will absolutely not give you the sound of your bass uncolored.

9. :D

10. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc

what a salesman......:rolleyes:

:D

11. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    ...who, me???

;)

12. DaveB

DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    I have an Eden 410XLT and, to me, it's a nice balance of warm, clear and punchy. The clarity isn't like the "hi-fi" variety though. Definition might be a better term. The lower mids are what this cab is all about. When cutting through the band mix that's where the Eden lower mids really shine.

13. DaveB:

Eden cabs' low mids don't so much cut through the band as bowl it over. Against a wall of Dual Rectifier, though, I found my D-210Ts to be a bit too muddy.

I think that a somewhat more balanced sound will cut through a mix better; that's why I switched to Aguilar.

14. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    Mark,

dont know if this is helpful, but it sounds like you'd really like the Aguilar sound. also, heads and cabs make a huge diff within one another. but with that said, the Aguilar sound is to my ears a modern hifi feel with a steroid punch of Ampeg.

I use a WT400 head, and its pretty warm almost "blurry" like you say. Not really as focused or hifi as my EA head. Also, Eden cabs just seem louder and punchier in the lower mids. not really balanced enough for me, but great for rock and funk.

15. RS

RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    I don't know is I've ever played thru a "high-fi"
    cab. Which cabs would you can hi-fi? SWR? EA?
    Epifani? Bergies?
    I have Edens right now. I find them better sounding than ampeg, gk, pv, and swr stuff I've tried.
    I find them plenty clear, and warm sounding.
    Is a super hi-fi sound really desirable for bass?

16. In jazz-based contexts, you betcha. A big grunty sound is too aggressive for gigs where the testosterone isn't flowing, IMO.

17. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    I don't know Peter! I used your old 10T's on a gig for the first time on Sat and I had the most happening tone that I ever had! They sounded awesome, No mud here!
    They were killer with my ole trusty Pbass!
    Thanks man I'm using the hell outa them!

18. RS

RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    One man's mud is another man's warmth.

tbasstreble11 likes this.
  19. DaveB

DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    "Originally posted by RS
    Is a super hi-fi sound really desirable for bass? "

I've wrestled with this for some time. I keep considering Euphonic Audio but never wind up buying it. It's as "hi-fi" as you can get in bass amplification. And for some types of music like jazz or light blues with my upright I think it's terrific. But when I do old school classic R&B or rock on an electric I like the voicing that the non hi-fi stuff gives you. The EA just seems to sterile for some types of music...hey, but that's me. I've been an Eden guy for a long time and I like that voicing. Having said that I just bought a Bag End S15-D for smaller gigs. It's not hi-fi like the Euphonics but way more natural than the Eden. Maybe , I'm slowly making the shift to hi-fi!

20. My take on the Eden sound - lifeless and boring.