Your thoughts about the Nordstrand NJ5FS hum-cancelling pickups?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Syl_Funky_bass, Nov 2, 2020.

1. Syl_Funky_bass

Syl_Funky_bass

Jun 4, 2016
    Hi All,

I'm planning to install a new set of Nordstrand NJ5FS pickups on my 2006 Fender Victor Bailey Jazz Bass V.

I would like to hear about your experiences and thoughts about these pickups.

Thanks.

2. Guitarodeo

Guitarodeo Who's got da funk? Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Rocky Mountains
    I put one in the bridge of a Yamaha BBP35 to remove single coil hum, and it is dead quiet. To my ear, it's a smoother sound, rather than the signature bite one might expect from a traditional single coil. That may explain why the choices are few for this type of pickup. That stated, it works for me, and I'm leaving it in.

Syl_Funky_bass likes this.
  3. rojo412

rojo412 Sit down, Danny... Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    They are really nice pickups. I installed a set on my old Am Dlx V, to replace the SCN pickups that were in it, in hopes of a lot more output. They were clean and clear, no hum, but just about the same level of output. They change enough of the sound from what some may call "typical Fender" to something a bit more "modern".

If you're looking for clarity, they are good for that.
    If you're looking for more output, they are pretty much the same level as what you have in there now.

Hope that helps.

Syl_Funky_bass likes this.
  4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 15, 2021