1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Your thoughts, Carvin BR115.........

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bazguitarman, Jan 14, 2012.

1. bazguitarman

bazguitarman

Dec 23, 2011
    Ok, I'm still researching speaker cabs to put with my new Peavey Tour 700 head. I have some past, positive experience with Carvin guitars. But no experience with their cabinets.

I'm considering adding the BR115 cab to my list of hopefulls. What do you guys think? I'll probably go with the 4ohm version since adding another cab later would probably be total overkill.

Keep in mind I'm not a bass player and this rig is not for gigging. It's just my home rig for jamming and recording. I want to have better that decent tone, but don't want to sink a ton of $$$'s into it since I am primarily a guitarist.

The bass I'm using is a LTD D-5 tuned one step flat.

Thanks

2. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Roselle, IL
    If you are planning on adding another cab in the future, get the 8 ohm version. Not very often would people describe 215's as overkill in a rock band situation. If you are looking for something to jam with in a home situation, a 115 is a good choice.

3. The BR115 is a good cabinet at a good price. I have one, use it combined with a BR210 powered by a Carvin BX600: 600watts @ 2 ohms. I wouldn't use the BR210 by itself, too bright for my taste. But the BR115 would work fine by itself, plenty of lows, and a tweeter to add some sizzle if you choose. And it handles plenty of volume, & low end, without issues. More than the Peavey cab's I've owned...and those had BW drivers.

4. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    +1 on going with an 8 ohm cab. The difference in wattage is minimal, and the cab wouldn't likely take everything the amp can give anyway. So, an 8 ohm 15 will get you where you want to be, with the added bonus of expandability, should the need arise.

5. bazguitarman

bazguitarman

Dec 23, 2011
    Thanks for the feedback guys. I will consider the 8 ohm version of the cab. I guess it wouldn't hurt having the option for expansion later with a second 8 ohm cab. I think the Tour 700 head pushes 350 or 400 watts into an 8 ohm load so it will still be plenty of juice to make the cab jump.

6. bazguitarman

bazguitarman

Dec 23, 2011
    I just went back and read the Tour 700 amp manual. Seems my amp actually pushes 500 watts into an 8 ohm load. A little more than I thought. So I will definitely be going with an 8 ohm cab. Thanks guys.