Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Your Thoughts on an Inexpensive MIJ Fender Fretless Jazz Bass Special?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JessRobinson, Jun 1, 2005.

1. JessRobinson

JessRobinson Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2004
    Fairfax, VA
    Hi All,

I recently responded to a locally placed ad for a bass and uncovered a nice find – a MIJ Squier P-Bass, produced in 1983/84, with an SQ serial #. Not quite a JV series, but it was made back when Fender was producing very high quality Squiers in Japan. Despite the fact it needs some work and clean-up, it sounds fantastic even with 10 year old strings. I got it for $50 including a Fender HSC.

Now to the point – the seller also had a 1990 MIJ Fretless Fender Jazz Bass Special, P/J configuration, 3-way switch, all black body and headstock with no pickguard, and nice unmarked fretless rosewood fingerboard. It looks like a current MIJ Aerodyne. The only flaws were a medium-sized scratch on the back and a loose tone control knob. Nice neck, sounded real good too. I liked the difference in the tone from a fretted bass. The seller was willing to part with it for $200 including a Fender HSC.

I’m a relatively newbie to bass and have never played a fretless (except my 10-year old’s upright bass) but think I have good intonation and the ability to play it well. My question is – is it worth $200 either to add another option to the stable or as an investment? I figure I may have to put about $100 into repair and setup, so I’ll be in for $300.

Any opinions on the general quality of this bass, and/or the price it’s being offered at? Opinions on having a fretless in the house? I searched this and other forums and could find very little on this model of bass. Thanks in advance for your replies.

Jess

2. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    I have a 1986 Power Jazz Special .... I bought it new and it continues to stay in the flock while other basses are bought and sold around it. IMO, well worth the $200, as a matter of fact, if you don't want it I'll buy it :D Seriously, I'll buy it from you :cool:

Here's mine, fretted

[​IMG]

3. klocwerk

klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA
    I'd buy it without hesitation.

4. I'm brand new to the forum, but I have been playing for a while. My second bass (which i still use regularly) is a Fender Fretless Mexican.... I got it for around $400. I recently got rid of the stock bridge and the neck and replaced them with a Badass II and an ebony/maple neck, and it plays like a dream! If you have money for the replacements parts, I'd say go with a Mexican fretless and upgrade it part by part. I personally think it is well worth it!

5. My 1st decent bass was exactly like pointbass's one- loved it. Wish I kept it. Get it - if you don't like it you may be able to sell it for more than $200.

6. JessRobinson

Dec 29, 2004
    Fairfax, VA
    Thanks folks. I'm going back tomorrow for another look - with cash in hand.

7. pointbass

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Jess,
    If you do buy it and it doesn't suit your needs, give me a PM ;)

8. JessRobinson

Dec 29, 2004
    Fairfax, VA
    PB - I grabbed it today for the $200. If I decide that I don't want it, you've got the first shot at it. (But after playing it again, I doubt that will be the case.)

Thanks....

9. pointbass

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Good for you, Jess :cool: They're really very good basses, surprisingly well constructed with a pretty cool variety of tones. I've played a fretless and always wanted to get a match to the fretted. Even though I rarely play 4's anymore, I would still like to get one .......

But, I don't see you parting with it anytime soon, especially once you get a few minutes under your belt with it. Good catch, keep on thumpin' :bassist: Post a pic when you get a chance ........