Your Thoughts on an Inexpensive MIJ Fender Fretless Jazz Bass Special?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JessRobinson, Jun 1, 2005.

1. JessRobinson

JessRobinson

Dec 29, 2004
    Fairfax, VA
    Hi All,

I recently responded to a locally placed ad for a bass and uncovered a nice find – a MIJ Squier P-Bass, produced in 1983/84, with an SQ serial #. Not quite a JV series, but it was made back when Fender was producing very high quality Squiers in Japan. Despite the fact it needs some work and clean-up, it sounds fantastic even with 10 year old strings. I got it for $50 including a Fender HSC.

Now to the point – the seller also had a 1990 MIJ Fretless Fender Jazz Bass Special, P/J configuration, 3-way switch, all black body and headstock with no pickguard, and nice unmarked fretless rosewood fingerboard. It looks like a current MIJ Aerodyne. The only flaws were a medium-sized scratch on the back and a loose tone control knob. Nice neck, sounded real good too. I liked the difference in the tone from a fretted bass. The seller was willing to part with it for $200 including a Fender HSC.

I’m a relatively newbie to bass and have never played a fretless (except my 10-year old’s upright bass) but think I have good intonation and the ability to play it well. My question is – is it worth $200 either to add another option to the stable or as an investment? I figure I may have to put about $100 into repair and setup, so I’ll be in for $300.

Any opinions on the general quality of this bass, and/or the price it’s being offered at? Opinions on having a fretless in the house? I searched this and other forums and could find very little on this model of bass. Thanks in advance for your replies.

Jess

2. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    I have a 1986 Power Jazz Special .... I bought it new and it continues to stay in the flock while other basses are bought and sold around it. IMO, well worth the $200, as a matter of fact, if you don't want it I'll buy it :D Seriously, I'll buy it from you :cool:

Here's mine, fretted

[​IMG]

3. klocwerk

klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA
    I'd buy it without hesitation.

4. I'm brand new to the forum, but I have been playing for a while. My second bass (which i still use regularly) is a Fender Fretless Mexican.... I got it for around $400. I recently got rid of the stock bridge and the neck and replaced them with a Badass II and an ebony/maple neck, and it plays like a dream! If you have money for the replacements parts, I'd say go with a Mexican fretless and upgrade it part by part. I personally think it is well worth it!

5. My 1st decent bass was exactly like pointbass's one- loved it. Wish I kept it. Get it - if you don't like it you may be able to sell it for more than $200.

6. JessRobinson

JessRobinson

Dec 29, 2004
    Fairfax, VA
    Thanks folks. I'm going back tomorrow for another look - with cash in hand.

7. pointbass

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Jess,
    If you do buy it and it doesn't suit your needs, give me a PM ;)

8. JessRobinson

JessRobinson

Dec 29, 2004
    Fairfax, VA
    PB - I grabbed it today for the $200. If I decide that I don't want it, you've got the first shot at it. (But after playing it again, I doubt that will be the case.)

Thanks....

9. pointbass

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Good for you, Jess :cool: They're really very good basses, surprisingly well constructed with a pretty cool variety of tones. I've played a fretless and always wanted to get a match to the fretted. Even though I rarely play 4's anymore, I would still like to get one .......

But, I don't see you parting with it anytime soon, especially once you get a few minutes under your belt with it. Good catch, keep on thumpin' :bassist: Post a pic when you get a chance ........